aberdeen-music

Setting up PHPBB, HELP!

Aaron_Robertson

Hey, I was wondering if anyone can help me set up a PHPBB, im totally lost, i have uploaded it all to my domain which is on fasthosts... I have done everything on the flash tutorial. The server for my hosting is in Kent so its difficult to get MS SQL or MYSQL on it. it does say on the admin page that i can use MSACCESS which i have.. but when i go to install i get the following error..

Warning: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified, SQL state IM002 in SQLConnect in e:\domains\r\redpathband.co.uk\user\htdocs\db\msaccess.php on line 55

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : Error

so if anyone can help i wud be very greatful..

Thanks

Aaron

From the sound of the error you haven't set up your 'config.php' file up properly with the correct details of your database.

However, I've never tried to use MSaccess over mysql.

Also, fasthosts (According to their website) offer mysql as standard in both windows and linux shared hosting package. And if you have a dedicated server without mysql, you could just use putty to SSH in and install mysql from there.

phpBB doesn't support MS Access databases so it will never work. Use MySQL instead.

[shameless plug]

And if Fasthosts can't give you MySQL support for a decent price then I offer web hosting with MySQL support as standard. Just see my signature below...

[/shameless plug]

Damn, I guess I was thrown off with the "supports msaccess" in the opening post :)

Fasthost certainly offer mysql. Also, dreamhost.com have a good offer (that's still on)...sign up for their "Crazy Domain Insane" plan at http://www.dreamhost.com/shared/comparison.html

Use coupon code 888 for 80% off or use this one: 777 for a year of hosting for $9.99 ;)