aberdeen-music

Voodoo Glow Skulls (Epitaph/Victory Records) *only Scottish date*/ The 44s/ Quik etc

kirkt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although he appears to be a strong man...he cant actually hit you' date=' because when he extends his arm its only about 3" long...and if it did go any further then it would just get caught on another muscle...weight lifters are pussies....[/quote']

You fool....he'd pick up a car and drop it on you! Then sit you in a bus, pull it to the top of the Torry Battery WITH HIS TEETH AND ROPE and toss that off the battery....

All heil muscle man!!

before 'roids

scrap_Rarm3.jpg

after 'roids

g_LarmDBCurl1.jpg

Mon the 'roids!!!

I had a fairly awesome night, damn shame about that arse though. I mean, who does that?!

All bands were on top form. VGS did a fantastic job, could've had a bit more crowd interaction but a fine set nonetheless. Lots of the hits and crowd-pleasers. Ugly Stick, Left For Dead and Charlie Brown are mint live. King of the Jungle cover was ace too :)

dont be a cock, the band showed up, played their set. They should have got paid whether or not half the takings got nabbed. That isnt their problem.

They had to go back to glasgow, how were they to know if they would see any money at all? Dont have a go at them for covering their own back, three cars dont run from glasgow to aberdeen and back on nothing.

They have every right to want to cover their own backs but in a extreme circumstance ude think they'd have a bit of respect for what GFN are doing and just be happy they were invited up to play with such a big band, infront of a heap of people - thats payment in itself. Misled youth an the Upstarts were more than happy to accept no payment, we even offered to help GFN pay Voodoo Glow Skulls..

Fair play, but i would loose respect if the promoter was careless enough to leave a pile of money in a place it could be easily stolen, Not saying it was not a pretty shitty thing to happen.

Just dont have a go at them for conducting themselves in a professional manner. They have been around the block a long time and have passed the "Playing as payment" stage.

Fair play' date=' but i would loose respect if the promoter was careless enough to leave a pile of money in a place it could be easily stolen, Not saying it was not a pretty shitty thing to happen.

Just dont have a go at them for conducting themselves in a professional manner. They have been around the block a long time and have passed the "Playing as payment" stage.[/quote']

Kirk is a well respected promoter in Aberdeen. He is not the kind of guy who would simply "leave a pile of money" around the venue. Yes, it would of created an awkward scenario, but surely a little compassion from a band who "has been around the block" would go a long way. Kirk is an honest and decent guy who wouldnt dare try and rip off a band. Simply a bit of patience and understanding in the awkward situation would go far.

I'm really sorry to hear about this incident, especially as by all accounts it sounds as if it was an otherwise successful night. Sad to say that the promoter always seems to pay the price inevitably, which is a lesson of hard knocks I'm sure Kirk has learned long before now. I'm sure it's some comfort to Kirk to know you all appreciate what he does, though!

Is this a security issue at The Tunnels? Does it need to be suggested to The Tunnels that they need a proper till for the front desk, or a member of security to man the front door for early gigs that may be very busy?

right lets set a few things straight.

in kirks own words the money was stolen purely due to "carelessness" on his part. this is really not our problem...it costs a considerable amount of money to keep the 44s on the road and we simply cannot affort to not get paid...we run most gigs at a loss and only just scrape together enough cash through t shirt sales to get home/to the next gig. if we played 2 or three gigs in a row where we didnt get paid we would simply not be able to afford to play anywhere. simple as that.

be more carefull

You have missed my point.

He had no money to give them.

He is a DIY promoter. This means he has no money to fall back on because all his profits go back into gigs to pay bands because hasn't made the sufficient money due to a shit crowd.

If i was that band and something ahd happened I would understand and head back.

It cost them 80 to travel according to them and there are 7 members(i think) in the band which makes out to be not that much between them.

i know about the trappings of DIY promotion, and understand the fact that if money isnt made on the door then it has to come out of the promoters own pocket. However at the end of the day paying the bands is priority.

I dont think this argument is ever going to be settled, but i am with the 44s on this one, they came played a blinding set and then expected to be paid for their travel. They arent money grabbing shits out for their own profit, they are trying to keep themselves afloat so they can keep making music.

Anyway their music is great, they're a sound bunch of people and are just trying to keep making that music and playing to people. Like Ian said, if they play two or three unpaid gigs then they'll go under.