aberdeen-music

vettriano exposed!

Stripey

Guest bluesxman

I actually spoke to a guy who met him that claimed he projects photos of people onto canvas then paints over the top, I remember thinking at the time - what a con, I could do that! Looking at the 2 pics on that article that could well be what he did there.

So' date=' paying two people to pose on a beach in order to paint them is OK, but painting two people posing in a photograph isn't. Hmm.[/quote']

I think you missed the point...

he copied "someone elses pose / arrangement / picture" and passed it off as his own.

as for copying by projection, I don't have a problem with that....

I think dave's hit the nail on the head, Vettriano's work is just dull, and lifeless...hopper (who he wants to emulate) had atmosphere in his paintings, Vettriano just does hidden faces...It's hard to explain, but he's just never cut the mustard for me.

once again, it's a taste thing...(bar the straigt plagerism of copying someone elses drawing, and pretending it's your own...or saying you were "influenced" by it, but in reality COPYING it.)

I think you missed the point...

he copied "someone elses pose / arrangement / picture" and passed it off as his own.

as for copying by projection' date=' I don't have a problem with that....

I think dave's hit the nail on the head, Vettriano's work is just dull, and lifeless...hopper (who he wants to emulate) had atmosphere in his paintings, Vettriano just does hidden faces...It's hard to explain, but he's just never cut the mustard for me.

once again, it's a taste thing...(bar the straigt plagerism of copying someone elses drawing, and pretending it's your own...or saying you were "influenced" by it, but in reality COPYING it.)[/quote']

ah hopper, really is one of my absolutely favourite artists and is probably partly responsible for my fondness of americana. never have petrol pumps looked so good. vettriano just steals hoppers colours but forgets to add the life, light, framing and character to his paintings. hoppers paintings tell stories, there's people in them whereas vettriano's are just boring flat landscapes with people shapes in them. there's no interest in the people he portrays.