aberdeen-music

Cockers Roses to be moving

ragudave

On the radio this morning I thought I heard that Cockers Roses on the Lang Stracht might be getting replaced with housing. I think it said said the garden centre may move towards Kingswells.

Did anyone else hear this or did I dream it?

Bummer, thats just round the corner from me, I hope you did dream it as its one of my favorite garden centres :down:

On the radio this morning I thought I heard that Cockers Roses on the Lang Stracht might be getting replaced with housing. I think it said said the garden centre may move towards Kingswells.

Did anyone else hear this or did I dream it?

I've known about it for about a year and a half, we've lodged planning complaints, but, from shedocksley (SP?) to Kingswells (joining the two) will be, 1500 houses, an industrial estate, a school (primary) and a church.

gillahill, easthuxterstone (where my house is (the "old lang stracht" into old kingswells)) etc will be choccablock with houses (some earmarked for "housing projects" (the like behind muzz's house in Westhill, where the News of the World did a special on the "street of shame"...ho ho).

hence, I am looking to move even FURTHER out of abereen, where Milne and his friends who like to drop houses anywhere and everywhere will take some years to get to me. (unless the oil runs out in the next 10 - 20 years).

I've known about it for about a year and a half' date=' we've lodged planning complaints, but, from shedocksley (SP?) to Kingswells (joining the two) will be, 1500 houses, an industrial estate, a school (primary) and a church..[/quote']

So basically any fields or green spaces between the two areas will be buildings works if they get the go-ahead. A few more houses and Kingswells will basically join Northfield, Bucksburn and Brimmond Hill as well as Sheddocksley. Sounds a crap idea which will extinguish any concept of a greenbelt...

Dave

PS is another church really required?

I wouldn't have thought so. We spend time in the city centre turning old churches into bars and large open air toilets' date=' and then build new ones a few miles out.[/quote']

I don't really see the point either, seeing as there is that baptist church across from woodend hospital and the numbers at both Mastrick and Summerhill are a lot lower then they were five years ago. I'd say a health centre was in more need then a church. As for the school, they just closed Greenfern a few years ago, and it's sitting doing nothing, would make more sense to build a new big school between Springhill (i'll always know it as that not Kingsford) and Greenfern, and make better use of that area.

Yep someone should do something with the empty space / derelict land opposite the Woodend shops, sort out the Greenfern site and build something beside the Mormon church on the site of the old Anderson Cars. But its nice to see that the Summerlhill Lodge / Hotel complex is finally looking a little better...

some interesting reading here...

http://www.aberdeengreenbelt.org/LocalPlan.shtml

and here

http://kwells.org/kwells5/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=530&topic=6&SubTopic=1

and in this PDF< you can see my house in the area marked "Future New Communities (NC29)"

http://kwells.org/kwells5/kwells/consult/lp/20KingswellsWest.pdf

I used to be able to see fields out of three sides of my house...

now, it'll be leggo lands all over the place.

Yep someone should do something with the empty space / derelict land opposite the Woodend shops' date=' sort out the Greenfern site and build something beside the Mormon church on the site of the old Anderson Cars. But its nice to see that the Summerlhill Lodge / Hotel complex is finally looking a little better...[/quote']

The derelict land beside woodend shops is owned by Tesco, who were wanting to build a fire brigade HQ there, so they could get the current one on Anderson Drive for a superstore, but the council never went for it. As for the old anderson cars/shell petrol station site, i'm surprised Mcdonalds/Burger King haven't snapped it up for a drive through yet. The Summerhill lodge/hotel is shaping up to be good.

Agreed. Dobbies is clearly the best garden centre in Aberdeen

goes to show you guys know fuck all about gardening...

foxlane is the best (locally raised plants, used to our climate, nothing imported that gets fucked by frost at the drop of a hat...)

and, then you'd go to the local castle garden centres...(drum, kildrummy, etc)

foxlane is the best (locally raised plants' date=' used to our climate, nothing imported that gets fucked by frost at the drop of a hat...)

and, then you'd go to the local castle garden centres...(drum, kildrummy, etc)[/quote']

Dobbies has plants perfectly suited to our climate, they just have other more exotic plants in addition which require extra care.

foxlane is the best (locally raised plants' date=' used to our climate, nothing imported that gets fucked by frost at the drop of a hat...)

and, then you'd go to the local castle garden centres...(drum, kildrummy, etc)[/quote']

I was always under the impression that Cove Bay Nurseries were pretty decent. But my second name ain't Thrower...

some interesting reading here...

http://www.aberdeengreenbelt.org/LocalPlan.shtml

and here

http://kwells.org/kwells5/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=530&topic=6&SubTopic=1

and in this PDF< you can see my house in the area marked "Future New Communities (NC29)"

http://kwells.org/kwells5/kwells/consult/lp/20KingswellsWest.pdf

I used to be able to see fields out of three sides of my house...

now' date=' it'll be leggo lands all over the place.[/quote']

Have a look here - it documents the vacant and derelict land thats available in NE Scotland

http://www.neser.org.uk/datasheet.cfm?datasheetid=38

Guest Laura@TMB
foxlane is the best (locally raised plants' date=' used to our climate, nothing imported that gets fucked by frost at the drop of a hat...) [/quote']

I have to agree with you there.

Have a look here - it documents the vacant and derelict land thats available in NE Scotland

http://www.neser.org.uk/datasheet.cfm?datasheetid=38

aye, stuff like that makes you think "who's getting paid to let the land be released for housing" (slander?!...me?!....)

aye, plenty of places that need developing, wayyy before green belt gets eaten up...

but, as milne and co owns most of the land they want to build on (still green belt), they'll all be saying its a good thing to develop develop develop!...

I keep having a chuckle about kepplestone, all those people living around it, "mooted" the "underground supermarket and parking"...I bet they wished they had that now, and not "tower de milne" with 1000 cars pishing out every morning (when finished)...excellent.

I keep having a chuckle about kepplestone' date=' all those people living around it, "mooted" the "underground supermarket and parking"...I bet they wished they had that now, and not "tower de milne" with 1000 cars pishing out every morning (when finished)...excellent.[/quote']

speaking of Kepplestone - the building works there mean that they will soon close off part of Queens Road while the luxury tower blocks are assembled. That will please the locals even more...

• 2 years later...