aberdeen-music

Pedal advice

Brianm

i have a Marshall MG50 DFX which im happy with. however i am thinking about adding to the sound and practicality with some pedals. there are some nice on-board effects, but playing live can be a bother since i'm not able to change sound mid-song, except between clean and overdriven. also a nice overdrive boost for solo's is needed. any ideas? price isnt really an issue, though im quite frugal and like a bargain!

i have a behringer v-amp 2, which is a multi-effects box, but find that some of the sounds, and also the delay between effect change isnt up to scratch.

• 2 weeks later...
stomp boxes is definetly the way to go.... multi fx sound to processed IMO...

u get a much nicer' date=' natural sound from seperate fx boxes that u would with multi effects.[/quote']

Agreed. I don't use that many effects (mainly just Wah, Chorus & occasionally Delay) so I'd much rather invest a bit more on 3 corking pedals opposed to spending less on a jack of all trades cheaply made multi effects contraption :D

Andy

a couple of choice stompboxes should do you very well

as to what, look at the effects you are using on your amp at the moment, and then play pretty much everything you can get your hands on of that type and see what you like

MXR, EH, Boss, etc...

i would definately go for a few stompboxes over a multifx though, you have had the effects on yoru amp so you should be familiar with them and know what you want, and buying separate stompboxes means you get a unit dedicated to that effect, rather than a jack of all trades box

for the three you mentioned - for a wah i would have a look at www.wah-wah.co.uk get yourself a secodhand crybaby off ebay, then get a new board from stuart to stick in the shell, an awesome sounding pedal tailored to your exact needs for not too many pennies

failing that, dunlop crybabies are solid pedals, of which there are a whole range of to suit your needs/price, and have a look secondhand on ebay and the like, you can pick up some great deals, you should hopefully be able to get a jen crybaby or the like (70's italian made ones) for 50ish, and have a look at morley too, a different sound from the dunlops but excellent pedals

chorus, boss and ehx both make great sounding pedals, and the newish MXR chorus looks awesome too

for a delay, its really either a boss or spending a lot of money on a boutique pedals, the DD3 and DD6 are both solid pedals, and used by countless guitarists the world over, for a more vintagey sound have a look at the EHX memory man too

if you had the pennies i would say the echoczar, which is rather expensive, and has a huge waiting list, but is supposedly amazing, but the boss ones should do fine really ;)

David

i had a listen to the clips on the boss website, and am tempted by a blues driver and also an os-2 overdrive/distortion along with some sort of wah.

what difference to the sound will getting a custom pedal job do? i've had a look at Stuart's site, but there aren,t any audio clips about the difference's various boards make. the true bypass mod does seem useful though as elsewhere i read that it does affect the sound even when the pedal isnt depressed.

i had a listen to the clips on the boss website' date=' and am tempted by a blues driver and also an os-2 overdrive/distortion along with some sort of wah.

what difference to the sound will getting a custom pedal job do? i've had a look at Stuart's site, but there aren,t any audio clips about the difference's various boards make. the true bypass mod does seem useful though as elsewhere i read that it does affect the sound even when the pedal isnt depressed.[/quote']

see if you can try out a dunlop dime crybaby (they have one in bruce millers atm)

the controls on the side of that can give you some idea of what some of the different controls can do and how they affect the sound

the best bet is to shoot stuart an email and ask him about whats what, i was buying a wah pot and other misc parts off him a while ago, and it did take a wee while for replys (he was busy with other stuff at that point i think) he was always very helpful and answered all the questions i had.

just an improved wah really, all top components and tailored to suit your needs with whatever controls or specific components (things like the inductor play a fairly big part in a wahs sound) make it sound best for you, and all for not too many pennies

David