aberdeen-music

Guitar Tutors?

Jchalm1

Guest pop-notmyface

okay, i'm not trying to give guitar tutors a bad name (because that is not the case), but i think that guitar tuition is a waste of money. i approached learning guitar DIY style, though i did have two tutors. but in hindsight, i don't think it influenced me that much. starting to play guitar is easy. getting really good at it is a little harder... i just don't think it is worth it. but you really have to find out what works for YOU.

i think there are a few good tutors in Bruce Millers, just ask a member of staff. and, i'm not even 50% sure, but Rass (black atom) teaches guitar, or am i completely wrong?

but i think that guitar tuition is a waste of money. i approached learning guitar DIY style' date=' though i did have two tutors. but in hindsight, i don't think it influenced me that much. starting to play guitar is easy. getting really good at it is a little harder... i just don't think it is worth it. [/quote']

not particularly useful in the context of this thread really.

I think getting lessons when you're at an early stage of learning guitar is a great idea. I had lessons for a year when I first started and it game me a really good grounding in the basics and also pointed me towards more advanced ideas that I could explore in my own time (still never got my head round modes though).

I dunno if he's still around Aberdeen but the guy I used to get lessons from was called Andy Watson and was based in the music room on holburn junction, which unfortunately has closed down now. But if you can get a hold of him he's very very good.

I don't think Rass teaches but I think Mac from black atom might. Try posting on the atom forum I suppose, that would solve that question.

I've been told that working on power chords is the best.

The best for what? Power chords are the easiest thing in the world to play.

You get out of lessons what you put in. As long as you talk to your teacher and they understand what you are trying to achieve by going to lessons it should be a worthwhile thing.

the best thing to do is have a mate to play guitar with so your learning off each other,

at one point in my flat there was me and two other guys that play guitar, the one guy that left, was a goth and played fast dropped d stuff, but he learnt off of me how to play slower stuff, and keep in time, as he showed me what was the best way to tremolo pick, plus this guy didnt have a fucking clue bout geetars, several occasions i had to set up his floating floyd rose, the other guy whos stays with me and he is licenced to teach music, hes good at the guitar and he would probally do a free lesson or some thing, hes only 20 so he knows what young people are into, so give me a bell and i will give you his number

cheers

paul