aberdeen-music

Dedalus news (for anyone who cares)

Guest Dedalus

Guest Dedalus

Right, I've got some songs on the PC. I can't be bothered (plus I don't know how) to upload the songs onto webspace, so if you would like to hear the new material then send me a PM with your email address and I'll send to you.

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard steven dedalus was heading the way of stephen dedalus from 'a portrait of the artist as a young man' by james joyce...

a disgusting drunk who continually visits prostitutes' date=' whilst having severe religion-induced guilt over his sins but not being able to do a damned thing about it.[/quote']

You're a disgusting drunk who continually visits prostitutes. Go back to hoboland, the fat cats have no place for you here.

for the record: never take me seriously.

some people just don't get irony/sarcasm.

especially that subsisty character' date=' revelling in his own self-importance like a sleazy bigwig.

how will dedalus continue now that steven is going anyway?[/quote']

I'll give you self-importance, in a big vat, and pour it over your head. Nobody will ever take you seriously after I've finished, you smarmy wannabe Albanian goatherder.

Can you hear that? It's the bells of justice, and they're going to take their toll on you! HA!

I'm pleased to see Dedalus expand their sound a bit. Stevens voice sounds perhaps a bit too melodrammatic for being more up close in the sound, particularly on a Far Better Thing, but he can certainly hold a tune. I like the playfulness of Wind, sounds a bit Arcade Fire-esque when it picks up. I'd say it's certainly the best track although i like the other two also. I just hope it isn't a complete change of direction because i would miss the slightly more dynamic sounding songs. All in all, i'm impressed though.

Guest Dedalus
I'm pleased to see Dedalus expand their sound a bit. Stevens voice sounds perhaps a bit too melodrammatic for being more up close in the sound' date=' particularly on a Far Better Thing, but he can certainly hold a tune. I like the playfulness of Wind, sounds a bit Arcade Fire-esque when it picks up. I'd say it's certainly the best track although i like the other two also. I just hope it isn't a complete change of direction because i would miss the slightly more dynamic sounding songs. All in all, i'm impressed though.[/quote']

His voice is naturally melodramatic ;-) He wouldn't have it any other way, I'm sure. But thanks very much for the honesty and encouragement.

first impressions...

don't like "1912". something about it. the first verse is awful (I think I just have a thing about the AABB rhyming structure), but it does improve greatly after that.

love "a far better thing". It's great. Can't wait to hear it live.

there's something about "wind". it's my favourite of the 3 by far. but the violin in the background grates on my soul. the 2nd half is ace.

I like the way things are looking for Dedalus though, seems like all the changes haven't hurt them too much and I can't wait to see how it sounds live.

Guest Dedalus
first impressions...

don't like "1912". something about it. the first verse is awful (I think I just have a thing about the AABB rhyming structure)' date=' but it does improve greatly after that.

there's something about "wind". it's my favourite of the 3 by far. but the violin in the background grates on my soul. the 2nd half is ace.

I like the way things are looking for Dedalus though, seems like all the changes haven't hurt them too much and I can't wait to see how it sounds live.[/quote']

Thanks Chris, I think I know what you mean about "1912" - it could definitely do with an intro of some sort, the first verse hits a bit too quickly so it may seem less "awful" ;-) if we build up to it somehow...we'll possibly work something out live.

first impressions...

don't like "1912". something about it. the first verse is awful (I think I just have a thing about the AABB rhyming structure)' date=' but it does improve greatly after that.

I like the way things are looking for Dedalus though, seems like all the changes haven't hurt them too much and I can't wait to see how it sounds live.[/quote']

heh, we started work on recording some of the old stuff last night and steven played me wind. it sounds great but i did suggest they investigate whether that violin is actually in tune. :)

i like 1912, steven's voice sounds great on it and it's a good slow burning epic.

these songs will sound great once a drummer gets to grip with them. they're really getting the hang of this home recording lark though and they were getting pretty good results recording the drums last night too, a bit of tinkering and it'll all be sounding so sweet.

I hated these when I first heard them, but listening to them properly just now, I'm liking them. 1912 is my favourite I think. Apart from it I reckon I prefer the old stuff though :( But maybe they're just growers.

Not sure if I'm too fond of Wind, but that could just be the recording - it sounds like the song itself could be good.

No wait, when it picks up after about a minute and a half, I like it. The end's a bit naff though, but nothing that can't be fixed relatively easily.

I'll be keeping an eye (ear?) on the progress.

Guest Dedalus
I hated these when I first heard them' date=' but listening to them properly just now, I'm liking them.[/quote']

It's funny you say that because I took time to really appreciate Steven's new songs, but now I love them by and large.

So maybe they are growers to certain ears/minds.

Guest Dedalus
Hmm it's start very well' date=' in fact i thought it was gonna be the best of the four but there's something lacking in sense of a song i feel, a great melody but a bit homeless. Maybe it's just a grower. The guitar sounded almost new romantic to me, but in a good way.[/quote']

We're working on some sort of climax to 'Lough Shore', so your feedback is very much atuned to ours ;-)