aberdeen-music

Bad feedback from guitar

ElDavidas1984

hey everyone,

I recently bought a new Esp guitar. It's the MH-250 model. I've been getting really bad feedback from the EMG-HZ H-4 pickups. Check out the link for more info on the specs

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_mh.htm.

It's even worse when I play through my Dunlop cry baby wah. I've tried using a noise gate but that doesn't seem to help much. Can anybody help me out or is there anyone experiencing the same thing?

Also, I'm hoping to eventually change my pickups. Maybe get some Seymour Duncan beauties! Anybody got some suggestions as to which ones to get? I'm looking for that fired up metal tone that Arch Enemy use! :D I'd still like to be able to get a decent clean sound from my guitar though.

Cheers

That guitar should give you a good enough tone (you should be able to get an arch enemy sound with that ESP) without changing pickups. And if you want to upgrade the pickups for a metal style on that guitar I'd consider active EMGs as opposed to Seymour Duncans.

If you're suffering from bad feedback try backing off the gain a little, change your amp settings (back off the treble maybe), or stand further away from your amp. If it is a constant problem then there could be a problem with the shielding on the pickups or something wrong with your amp. What kind of amp do use? What settings do you usually have on it?

try the guitar on a friend's amp and see if you have the same problem there.

ive got to guitars with emgs....one all passive (shite) one all active (excellent)...but ive never had a feedback problem with either machine...the crybaby will act like a tunable notch filter, is there any particular position that is more prone to feedback than others? (i mean on the crybaby, ie 0% being foot fully down, 100% being foot fully up) That might tell us something....

Those pickups are fine - great for metal, and if you bought the guitar new then they shouldn't be feedbacking at all.

What kind of feedback is it? Regular feedback or horrific ear bursting high pitched squealling feedback? If its the latter, the pickups would need repotted and maybe even replaced but since its a new guitar - back to manufacturer!

Sounds like one of two things.

What's your gain on your amp, active pick-ups deliver a larger signal to the pre-amp, maybe you're sticking in too much and forcing the pre-amp to go outwith normal operating parameters.

Back off your gain and increase your volume until it sounds as loud as normal, if the feedback disappears, there's your problem.

The other reason is, there's something microphonic in your set-up, could be your pick-ups, but since it's new that's the last place I'd look . You need to try it out with another amp and, this is the bit most people miss, another cable.

Ditch any effects you have while trying this out, the shorter and simpler the signal path, the easier it is to find the problem.

• 3 weeks later...