aberdeen-music

Question for Elgin folk with good memories...

Marillionboy

Pink Floyd also played Nairn the day afterElgin. Here's a few dates in July 1967 -

20 - Top of the Pops, BBC TV and The Red Shoes Ballroom, Elgin, Scotland

21 - Ballerina Ballroom, Nairn, Scotland

22 - The Beach Ballroom, Aberdeen, Scotland

23 - Cosmopolitan Ballroom, Carlisle, Cumbria, England (radio broadcast)

24 - The Maryland, Glasgow, Scotland

25 - Greenock Palladium, Lanarkshire, Scotland

27 - Top of the Pops, BBC TV

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PFArchives/tourdate.htm

Weirdly, Cream (with Clapton obviously) played at The Two Red Shoes in July 1967 as well -

July 2 - 'Saville Theatre' Central London, England (2 shows) (with the Jeff Beck Group and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers)

July - Inverness, Scotland ('in a cinema')

July - 'Locarno' Glasgow, Scotland

July - 'Two Red Shoes' Elgin, Scotland

July - 'Beach Ballroom' Aberdeen, Scotland

July 12 - 'Floral Hall' Southport, England

July 14 - 'Joe Loss Show' BBC Radio 1, London, England

http://www.jackbruce.com/tours0.htm

Guest Laura@TMB
OK folks I have the answer!

It was opposite the Newmarket Bar i.e. down below another old stompin ground The Venue :rockon:

Smart arse ;) Anyway, what's there now? Is it beside Burtons? Been so long since I've been home. I remember the Venue though :rockon:

Jammer' date=' do you mean you have the answer to my original query, ie where was La Dolce Vita?

If so, well done! How do you know, did you go to it or did you ask a Seventies clubber?[/quote']

Er yes..42 ..er meaning of life ...er...no.that is the answer to your question

It was a mates old man who relayed the info. :gringo:

• 10 months later...

Interesting, I'd not heard anything about this. Elgin has nothing approaching a decent small venue.

Just a minor quibble with the article

"Just months before the release of their chart-topping single From Me To You, The Beatles performed there on five consecutive nights in January 1963."

They only played once (3rd January)... I think the writer is confusing the fact it was a 5 date tour of Scotland. And it's actually mentioned by Ringo in the Anthology book. Not a very pleasing memory for him as the audience were shite...no change there then.:gringo:

Guest Neubeatz

Yes, show my age here,

The Two Red Shoes, my old boy played guitar and piano in the resident band for years, 7 nights a week,

I'm sure it was owned by italian exile, Albert Bonici, I think he also had "The Lido" (no not fucking lie doh,) or fingers in it's pie f'sho, there wasn't even a word "disco" in those days.

Then my old boy got a gig in Germany, so bye bye moray....

• 3 weeks later...

I think Elgin would be a good place to live. It has almost everything i'd need in somewhere to live, except somewhere to work.

Where does everyone in Elgin work? there doesn't seem to be any major employers or industries, yet everyone seems to have a job.

Plenty of offices for legal firms, banks and finance houses, and the Forestry Commission is a big local employer I would imagine. On top of all the usual teachers, policemen, shop assistants and so on.

Its a great town, bit rough oin a Saturday night but has a good town centre and is surrounded by amazing countryside. A cosy Inverness. Or a more vibrant Banff perhaps.

Guest Laura@TMB

Well, indeed, it must be true if it's in the Northern Scot! Other local employers would of course be the service industries, distilleries, farming, fishing and not forgetting the two rather large air force bases nearby. My parents still live in Elgin and love it. When I was a teenager I couldn't wait to get away but I think for many people, living in a particular place makes them forget just what their home town or city has to offer, and they look for the negatives rather than to the positives, if you get my gist.

As an aside Marillionboy, dunno if you saw the following (scroll down to 3rd last para). I see you love a particular Moray coast town so much that you've changed your name for the sake of it :love:

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149235&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149218&contentPK=15092852&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

L

xx

I think Elgin would be a good place to live. It has almost everything i'd need in somewhere to live' date=' except somewhere to work.

Where does everyone in Elgin work? there doesn't seem to be any major employers or industries, yet everyone seems to have a job.[/quote']

Well I live in Elgin and I work in Inverness...it's a long trek but I'm nae rich enough to buy a hoose there. ho hum

my dad use tell me stories of how loads of bands etc all played elgin before they got big.

The Beatles' date=' Cream, The Pink Floyd to name but three who played the mighty Moray metropolis...but then bands used to play everywhere back then

Incidentally, never asked, was it a venue or just a bar/club?

To be honest...nae idea. Bar/Club I would think