aberdeen-music

Question for Elgin folk with good memories...

Marillionboy

Guest Laura@TMB

Ok, so I would have been nearly into double figures, and living in Lossiemouth. No idea, but will ask the font of all knowledge, ie my mum (not that she would've gone to any gigs mind!). Oh, and pacers were yum - spearmint chews with the green and white stripy paper - right? :rockon:

Guest Laura@TMB
BY the way Laura the Texan bars are in Tescos too!

8)

As for La Dolce Vita being where the Two Red Shoes was... I remember this being a freezer shop (sort of an early Iceland type place) when I was a kid, but my mum remembers it being something before that. She has cronies who used to frequent the Two Red Shoes when it was on the go and is asking around them this week.

Guest Laura@TMB

Good thinking batman!

The Two Red Shoes was at the east end of the High Street, just after the bit where you could do a left turn into a small car parking area adjacent to the Park Cafe (?) - purveyors of the finest Mr Whippy ice-cream EVER... (I think ?)

8)

As for La Dolce Vita being where the Two Red Shoes was... I remember this being a freezer shop (sort of an early Iceland type place) when I was a kid' date=' but my mum remembers it being something before that. She has cronies who used to frequent the Two Red Shoes when it was on the go and is asking around them this week.[/quote']

The Two Red Shoes Ballroom was a legendary place - The Beatles played there, as did Gene Vincent, Pink Floyd and a heap of others. The story goes that the owner told Eric Clapton after his performance "Right son, that's the last time you'll play Elgin"...

And it did indeed become a Frozen food shop in 1975.

Guest Laura@TMB
The Two Red Shoes Ballroom was a legendary place - The Beatles played there' date=' as did Gene Vincent, Pink Floyd and a heap of others. The story goes that the owner told Eric Clapton after his performance "Right son, that's the last time you'll play Elgin"...

And it did indeed become a Frozen food shop in 1975.[/quote']

Interesting! And a quick Google comes up with:-

http://www.rogerwatersonline.com/scrap_book/2_red_shoes.htm

Guest Laura@TMB

I just love the quote re Floyd " This is the group that brings it's own lighting to set the scene oscillating and vibrating with Way Out Sets" :gringo:

And buses from Buckie and Forres too!! Way to go!

Guest Laura@TMB

I can only imagine... sorry any Buckie folks out there, but we used to call the bus-loads of Buckie women who came into Elgin for a Saturday night out "The Buckie Commandos" - their primary mission being to trap an RAF bloke, cadge drink off of them all night, get them to buy them the mandatory Chinese/ Indian takeaway, and then tell them to F' off and then jump back on the bus to Buckie. Used to be some scraps on the plain stones in the wee small hours too...