aberdeen-music

Your favourite gigs of the year so far...

Steve Temple

I will remember 2005 as the year I learnt what it means to be young. And the following nights helped me do it:

1, Editors at TITP - an impossibly intense set in an impossibly hot tent. How smug those who made their way there felt about being amongst the select few to see this band. Never has being right down the front been so necessary, firstly to be hit with the full force of the sound, but also to see spontaneous outbursts of homoerotic passion, and spectacular bambi-esque falls, close-up

2, We Are Scientists at Kef - Only a venue that is literally underground could be fit for a new band from New York to play a 40 minute set of 3 minute songs. THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. With two singles released, they were well known enough to fill the venue, but small enough to still man their own merchandise stall

3, Sons & Daughters at The Lemon Tree - darker than any metal band could hope to be, and probably louder too. The Coolest Man In The World and Scotland's Sexiest Woman on the same stage. Adele made everyone feel like she was looking at them. In my case, she probably was

4, The Faint at TITP - a band more suited to playing midnight gigs in the clubs of sprawling, decadent cities, this midday gig in a field only worked because of their determination to have fun. To see them slamming and spinning around on stage was inspirational. I'm sure the crowd had just as much fun, though it didn't look like it

5, Bikini Atoll at The Tunnels - a sound so dirty it could only have come from Dundee. Some of the tightest electro-funk ever heard. Some of the tightest jeans ever seen. This was spoiled slightly by their inclusion of some token slow numbers, and by support from loathsome beauty merchants Picastro. Still produced probably the best crowd reaction to a gig at The Tunnels

Missed opportunities: Bloc Party at LT, The Departure at Moshulu, Editors at Kef, Battle at Moshulu

Still to come: Bikini Atoll at The Tunnels again; Ladytron at The Tunnels; Franz Ferdinand, Editors and The Rakes at AECC (so wrong in such an aircraft hanger of a venue, so right in many other ways); Maximo Park in Glasgow (relulctant as I am to watch a band anywhere but in my hometown, I'm not sure this young pretender can pass up a chance to see The Most Important Man In The World show how a star-jump should be thrown)

The Blood Brothers at King Tuts in March. Such a small venue for a gig with so much energy. And they are lovably camp on stage, which made it all the more fun.

Rilo Kiley at Cabaret Voltaire in July. Again, the intimacy of the venue helped. Being that close to Jenny Lewis is a once in a lifetime experience. They are clearly more comfortable in a small venue, Blakes little chats with the crowd wouldn't have worked in a large venue. There were heaps of technical problems during that gig, and they way they handled them just made the night perfect (adapting which instruments to use during songs, Jenny sitting swigging Red Stripe at the side of the stage while the techs were working away, Blake telling us we take Belle Italia for granted...) on top of walking past them in the streets of Edinburgh later that night. The road trip there was fantastic, and the other events of the night just made the whole thing a memorable experience.

Dresden Doll(s) at Moshulu in August. Amanda Palmer on her own was wonderful, a perfect mix of her own material and stupidly good covers (Bright Eyes and Postal Service/Iron and Wine). Seeing an artist screaming her heart out alone on a piano, with eyeliner running down her face with her tears is another sight that just gets you.

I will remember 2005 as the year I learnt what it means to be young. And the following nights helped me do it:

1' date=' Editors at TITP - an impossibly intense set in an impossibly hot tent. How smug those who made their way there felt about being amongst the select few to see this band. Never has being right down the front been so necessary, firstly to be hit with the full force of the sound, but also to see spontaneous outbursts of homoerotic passion, and spectacular bambi-esque falls, close-up

2, We Are Scientists at Kef - Only a venue that is literally underground could be fit for a new band from New York to play a 40 minute set of 3 minute songs. THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. With two singles released, they were well known enough to fill the venue, but small enough to still man their own merchandise stall

3, Sons & Daughters at The Lemon Tree - darker than any metal band could hope to be, and probably louder too. The Coolest Man In The World and Scotland's Sexiest Woman on the same stage. Adele made everyone feel like she was looking at them. In my case, she probably was

4, The Faint at TITP - a band more suited to playing midnight gigs in the clubs of sprawling, decadent cities, this midday gig in a field only worked because of their determination to have fun. To see them slamming and spinning around on stage was inspirational. I'm sure the crowd had just as much fun, though it didn't look like it

5, Bikini Atoll at The Tunnels - a sound so dirty it could only have come from Dundee. Some of the tightest electro-funk ever heard. Some of the tightest jeans ever seen. This was spoiled slightly by their inclusion of some token slow numbers, and by support from loathsome beauty merchants Picastro. Still produced probably the best crowd reaction to a gig at The Tunnels

Missed opportunities: Bloc Party at LT, The Departure at Moshulu, Editors at Kef, Battle at Moshulu

Still to come: Bikini Atoll at The Tunnels again; Ladytron at The Tunnels; Franz Ferdinand, Editors and The Rakes at AECC (so wrong in such an aircraft hanger of a venue, so right in many other ways); Maximo Park in Glasgow (relulctant as I am to watch a band anywhere but in my hometown, I'm not sure this young pretender can pass up a chance to see The Most Important Man In The World show how a star-jump should be thrown)[/quote']

Bloc Party was this time last year boyo and i'm pretty sure the Departure was last year too.

Converge at the Garage.

Jesu and Isis in glasgow.

Cult of Luna at Moshulu.

All three Tom's gigs. (filthpact, stand up guy and smackdown)

27 at Studio 24.

Let's see if any beat those ones.

Guest Steve Irwin

1' date=' Editors at TITP - an impossibly intense set in an impossibly hot tent. How smug those who made their way there felt about being amongst the select few to see this band. Never has being right down the front been so necessary, firstly to be hit with the full force of the sound, but also to see spontaneous outbursts of homoerotic passion, and spectacular bambi-esque falls, close-up

Still to come: Bikini Atoll at The Tunnels again; Ladytron at The Tunnels; Franz Ferdinand, Editors and The Rakes at AECC (so wrong in such an aircraft hanger of a venue, so right in many other ways); Maximo Park in Glasgow (relulctant as I am to watch a band anywhere but in my hometown, I'm not sure this young pretender can pass up a chance to see The Most Important Man In The World show how a star-jump should be thrown)[/quote']

oh dear :(

Havn't had the chance to go to many gigs this year, but i went to see weeping jesus (along with others) a twice at kef and had a really good fucking night.

I know the drummer and singer (cause the drummer's wee sis is one of my best mates) and spo i was staying with them which was ace too.

they're really nice guys (sorry i don't know the rest of the band but i think i see that two of you are on here so hey) and though i'm a bit of an indie chick and not into metal i really loved the gigs.

later

R

Guest Steve Irwin
Havn't had the chance to go to many gigs this year' date=' but i went to see weeping jesus (along with others) a twice at kef and had a really good fucking night.

I know the drummer and singer (cause the drummer's wee sis is one of my best mates) and spo i was staying with them which was ace too.

they're really nice guys (sorry i don't know the rest of the band but i think i see that two of you are on here so hey) and though i'm a bit of an indie chick and not into metal i really loved the gigs.

later

R[/quote']

is this a joke??

please say it is

So many good gigs this year:

Atomgevitter @ Dr Drakes

Silence in the Streets @ Moorings Bar

The Research @ Moshulu

Red Lights Flash/Rise Against @ Glasgow QMU

Seargeant Buzfuz/Thomas Truax @ Tunnels

Zombina and the Skeletones/The Planeteers @ Goole, The Old George

NOFX @ Leeds Fest

Freaks Union @ Leeds Fest

Bad Religion @ Leeds Fest

The Adventures of Loki @ Leeds Fest

DJ Format @ Leeds Fest/Lemon Tree

Green Day / Jimmy Eat World / Taking Back Sunday / Hard Fi @ Milton Keynes

First and only gig I've been to this year I think (that I wasn't playing....) but what can top that? ;)

Hopefully seeing Greg macpherson next month, which could be emotional....and subhumans the month after, which will either be great, or full of drunk punk assholes....the intimacy of these gigs will deff contend with the MK bash, despite me being right up the front, it all felt a bit theatre.....

The others, rakes and ludes @lemontree

Subways @ lemontree

El Presidente @ lemontree

Sons and daughters @ lemontree

Complete Stone Roses @ lemontree

Razorlight, yeti, black velvets @ glasgow carling academy

Oasis @ edinburgh

Tsunami relief @ secc

Ocean Colour Scene @ music hall

T in the park, whole weekend but especially ian brown, futureheads, bloc party, death from above 1979, interpol, the rakes and the others

Yeti @ tunnels

and of course babyshambles last night @ moshulu

Been to more but these were the best ones

Alot more still to come, cant wait for arctic monkeys in edinburgh and then theres franz n co, oasis, hard-fi, ordinary boys, paddingtons, subways and the kooks. nme tour with kaisers, cribs and maximo park, well thats what i have tickets for anyway