aberdeen-music

Ska Sunday! (afternoon show): Sonic Boom Six, Schpleen, Misled Youth etc

kirkt

• 2 weeks later...

massive thanks to everyone who came. was suprised to see so many showing up at 1pm, its the best crowd ive seen at tunnels yet! apologies to anyone who came to see schpleen, i just got home to find an email from them...they got ill and turned round home halfway which is a bit rubbish really. they misplaced my number so couldnt let me know either...but the upstarts 2nd set made up for it im sure :D

Awesome gig, big thanks and well done to GFN and all the bands. I was disappointed Schpleen didn't make it but at least Misled Youth managed. Better late than never, eh? The Upstarts did a mighty fine job of starting things off. The newest tunes are top-knotch. One Man Race = great fun. Last time I saw them, I had little memory of the night. So this was a nice surprise. Really tight, great party music. Misled Youth, ah what can I say? Great as always. New stuff is going in a sweet direction. They still need to get that little detail of turning up on time nailed on the head though :p And as for Sonic Boom Six. Just wow. Fine set and the atmosphere when they were on was magic. Roll on the album.

Well have to say I enjoyed most of it but Ska bands, never in a million years were any of those bands ska, ska influnences yeah but i heard more influnces from the grunge scene in there. Having been brought up on 60's labels like trojan. Dr bird coxsone etc through to 2 tone and then into bands from the 80's and 90's like Maroon town Potato 5 Capone and the bullets. The bands that played yesterday were nothing like that.

Soulboy

Yesterday was AMAZING, annoyed that I missed The Upstarts and One Man Race, but the goddamn car hire company let us down. However, that was definitely the best show we've played at in Aberdeen, all of us had such a good time (apart from Lee, he say's got the flu........hangover more like)

I hope we get back up soon!!

Yesterday was AMAZING' date=' annoyed that I missed The Upstarts and One Man Race, but the goddamn car hire company let us down. However, that was definitely the best show we've played at in Aberdeen, all of us had such a good time (apart from Lee, he say's got the flu........hangover more like)

I hope we get back up soon!![/quote']

Do you honestly class yourselves as a ska band? Not having a go as I said most of it was good but no way were any of the bands Ska.

Soulboy

I can't say I heard anything remotely grunge in the bands yesterday. Ok, Misled Youth weren't really ska. They play melodic hardcore punk and have ska breakdowns in their songs. The Upstarts aren't ska in the traditional sense of the word but definitly ska punk. Like Against All Authority, Mu330. One Man Race I felt were very 2 tone influenced, just a lot faster and harder. And Sonic Boom Six, definitly take the blueprints of ska/two-tone (listen to how Monkey See, Monkey Do is sampled from Jamaican classic "Funky Kingston") but mix it up with hardcore, drum 'n'bass and hip-hop to create a fresh new sound. Anyway, the good news is, there will be another ska sunday, expect a couple of 2-Tone style ska bands next time .There will be at least one band from Do the Dog Records, have a listen to some of them on www.dothedog.com , I'm sure Pama International, The Splitters and Smoke Like a Fish will appeal to ska fans, old and new.

Do you honestly class yourselves as a ska band? Not having a go as I said most of it was good but no way were any of the bands Ska.

I don't class us as ska at all. But if I was into ska to the amount that you are I'd think I could see the elements of the ska sound within the bands enough to understand that has how the music has developed over time and continues to...

In fact I dunno if you noticed but one of our new tunes was based on a sample of 'the Selecter' which was the b-side to Gangsters, the first single on 2-tone.

Anyway, I do understand how guys like you that want to see a more traditional sound aren't that into the newer blends.

Can I suggest Zen Baseballbat and the Scrub and Catch It Kababs as bands that take a more forward 2-tone sound and update it accordingly that you might get a little more pleasure from? As well as the bands Captain Kirk suggested.