aberdeen-music

"they'd let Beckham into their club so why not me?'

Cloud

It was in reference to the apology that should have been your next post instead of the above drivel. I also explained above that i didn't call him a bam - the bouncers didn't like the look of him' date=' ya bam.

His first impression to the bouncers must have been sufficient for them to not want him inside. So rather than say your're not getting in mate, they made up an excuse that he had no comeback to.

If you own a club you are entitled to only let in whomever you chose - and usually people who are of a smart appearance are less likely to cause trouble!. Basic socially acceptable attire should also be adhered to!! :p

So, get your burberry clad tattood ass to fuck![/quote']

Bull shit in any place i've been it's the smarter dressed guys that start all the trouble

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Neubeatz

heh, talk about prejudice, I wore burbury as a fucking piss take at a gig last year, then I posted some jewish humour online, baith of which went ower maist fowks heids,

I know who the real bams are ;)

And it's still in effect as far as I know. I've seen people turned away from Moshulu before for simply being well dressed - and before anyone starts' date=' it's not discrimination, it's just common sense that a load of guys in expensive shirts and nice trousers and shoes aren't going to get on well with the regulars on a Saturday night.

What part of "Management have the right to refuse entry" do you struggle with?

Say Moshulu Rob decides he hates anyone with green converses. It's his right to refuse those people from his bar, no matter how fucking ridiculous it might be. Say Flash decides to ban anyone who doesn't appreciate Addlestones - completely ridiculous reason, but again, it's his right not to let them in for whatever grounds he sees fit. Say it becomes a requirement to wear a silly hat to attend the Lemon Tree - management can simply order the refusal of anyone who isn't wearing a silly hat and there's fuck all people can do about it, bar hitting them in the pocket by boycotting the place.

If Liquid feel that people with visible tattoos aren't getting in, it's their call. If the bouncer made it up on the spot, well, he's been delegated authority by the manager and so he can say whatever the hell he likes, so long as his boss doesn't get annoyed by what he says.

All the guy has achieved by going to the papers is his face marked out as a potential trouble maker by going to the press - so he'll probably find himself persona non grata in a few places as a result.

Do people seriously believe that entry to a club is a right, not a privilege? :| I don't support idiotic bouncers who do things like ID people who are blatantly old enough, but when it comes to the issue of dress, the person was offered the chance to cover them up but refused - so who's fault is it, really?[/quote']

Ye Gods! I agree :D

Guest bluesxman
It was in reference to the apology that should have been your next post instead of the above drivel. I also explained above that i didn't call him a bam - the bouncers didn't like the look of him' date=' ya bam.

His first impression to the bouncers must have been sufficient for them to not want him inside. So rather than say your're not getting in mate, they made up an excuse that he had no comeback to.

If you own a club you are entitled to only let in whomever you chose - and usually people who are of a smart appearance are less likely to cause trouble!. Basic socially acceptable attire should also be adhered to!! :p

So, get your burberry clad tattood ass to fuck![/quote']

Yeah, OK, you confirmed it, you are an idiot. Go and spout nonsense to someone else.

I'm surprised they've actually got a 'cover up' policy in Liquid. The only time I've been in there the women were semi-naked. Orange fake tans on show and skirts so short you could tell what they'd eaten for breakfast (as my mum would say). I'm still boycotting the Priory for not being allowed in with trainers one Saturday night (for a works do, I'd like to add). Really, so if was wearing a pair of cheap kitten-heeled silver sandals from Shoe Express I could get in?!?!

I went to ministry (more dragged along than anything else) since some friends had VIP tickets from work, and I got stopped on the trainers rule.

The bouncer eventually gave in, but only when the manager appeared and knew the people I was with. To be honest, I wish I'd left as soon as the bouncer had said so, the place is a shit hole :)

On an unrelated note me and my cousin once got kicked out of Virgin megastore (practically 2 seconds being into the store, pulled out by bouncers) on account of our leather jackets, studs and spikes.....I was there to buy some Exploited/One Way System and GBH videos which they seemed to be stocking, why the hell were they selling that stuff if they didn't want that type of people in their store?!?!

It must be my face, I get discriminated against in baggy jeans, trainers and tshirts as much as I do in a suit and tie......

Funnily enough, I've actually been in Liquid, with forearm tattoos on display, and trainers.....celebrity status though 8-)

And it's still in effect as far as I know. I've seen people turned away from Moshulu before for simply being well dressed - and before anyone starts' date=' it's not discrimination, it's just common sense that a load of guys in expensive shirts and nice trousers and shoes aren't going to get on well with the regulars on a Saturday night.

What part of "Management have the right to refuse entry" do you struggle with?

Say Moshulu Rob decides he hates anyone with green converses. It's his right to refuse those people from his bar, no matter how fucking ridiculous it might be. Say Flash decides to ban anyone who doesn't appreciate Addlestones - completely ridiculous reason, but again, it's his right not to let them in for whatever grounds he sees fit. Say it becomes a requirement to wear a silly hat to attend the Lemon Tree - management can simply order the refusal of anyone who isn't wearing a silly hat and there's fuck all people can do about it, bar hitting them in the pocket by boycotting the place.

If Liquid feel that people with visible tattoos aren't getting in, it's their call. If the bouncer made it up on the spot, well, he's been delegated authority by the manager and so he can say whatever the hell he likes, so long as his boss doesn't get annoyed by what he says.

All the guy has achieved by going to the papers is his face marked out as a potential trouble maker by going to the press - so he'll probably find himself persona non grata in a few places as a result.

Do people seriously believe that entry to a club is a right, not a privilege? :| I don't support idiotic bouncers who do things like ID people who are blatantly old enough, but when it comes to the issue of dress, the person was offered the chance to cover them up but refused - so who's fault is it, really?[/quote']

That was irrelevant to what I asked.

You were pointing out that it was alright for Liquid to do because they are known for it whereas it wouldn't be ok for any other place. That is what you were trying to say.

Anyway I do agree that the guy can be turned away for whatever reason because(judging by queue for Liquid last night) they need to make sure they only let in worthwhile punters and not people who may look like they will cause trouble even if they had something like a tatoo for example.

you don't want people that 'might' cause trouble in a club. it's not as if liquid need his money, there is a queue for about an hour and a half most nights so if someone comes in who you reckon is going to just upset other customers you don't let them in. when you work a door every night, or you work a bar an awful lot, you suss out what kind of people do what kind of things. of course you might judge someone wrong, and wrongly deny them entry, but if you are somewhere the size of liquid who cares? market research shows that if you have a good time somewhere you will tell 4 people, and if you have a bad time you will tell 7 people. folk with girflriends with made up names tend not to have to many friends, other than the ones they drink stella with before they beat up someone in the pub. plus, that one ned might piss off a group of customers who then decide not to go back cos some ned caused them hassle.

oh well

Access to a club should not be dictated by dress or appearance at all' date=' be it Moshulu, Liquid or wherever.[/quote']

Dress is the easiest way out in a lot of cases - imagine the situation. You're standing at a door with two other fairly big blokes, when someone comes up with a few of his pals, and looks like the type that you wish to refuse entry to. What's most likely to avoid a rumble? You don't want to get in an argument with people, so a dress code, made up or not is the easiest way to stop someone getting in. I wouldn't fancy telling a group of large blokes that they weren't getting in, but telling them that two of them aren't complying with the dress code would be an easy way to stop them getting in.

Why should anyone be discriminated against because of how they want to dress?

Why not? It's not discrimination because the person has an option to correct it - if the discrimination is based upon gender or race, they can't change it, but they can correct their dress in order to gain access. It's not discrimination if the person is offered the opportunity to correct it - which the person was.

Basic socially acceptable behaviour should be adopted when in said establishment and if not, being booted out by bouncers doing their job correctly as opposed to getting delusions of grandeur and dictating who gets in in the first place should be the punishment.

Perhaps you should be looking at what a bouncer does before criticising them, especially as Liquid's bouncers aren't actually tossers either. One of my friends got pulled up by them on the dress code one night, he spoke to them about what he could do to fix it, they told him, he went home and sorted it, came back and they let him in with a smile..which is always nice, no?

Anyway, look at this way. You're standing on the door when someone you percieve as possibly being trouble comes up. Do you let them in, knowing that you might have to deal with trouble later on from them, or do you refuse them and know that it won't be your club suffering trouble? If a bouncer was "doing his job" properly, he wouldn't let the trouble in the club to begin with, after all, preventing the trouble is far better than curing the trouble by kicking the guy out on his arse.

As for accusations of grandeur - they've been delegated the authority by the manager, as I've said in a previous post. It's their call - and given they often have a tiny window in order to make a decision, it's important that they get it right. Letting in too many "wrong" people will probably see them lose their job in a place like Liquid - so can you blame them for being picky and fussy?

Too many people are quick to slate bouncers for being fuckers, but at the end of the day, most of them are only doing a job. I don't agree with the way some of them go about it, especially when they refuse you for no reason at all, but at the end of the day, why give them shit?

Given the comments at the end of his post, i'm going to agree with cloud, much against my personal stance, about a month ago, some people from my work were out for the birthday of one of the girls, they were heading to liquid, i went along, knowing damn well i wouldn't get near the door, but as the people i was with wanted me to go along i said i would even though i knew i wouldn't get in. Got to the door the bouncers turned and said i was dressed to casual, which given it was a sat night and i was wearing a hoodie, baggie jeans and trainers, i admitted i was and then headed back home.

At the end of the day the bouncers, like any other bugger in the place, are only doing what they are told to do, same as bouncers anywhere else in the city.

The only reason they get so much shit is that they are the first point of contact and the first point of contact always gets more shit thrown at them then the rest of the staff, more so if they have to make decisions that result in people getting through the door.

Guest bluesxman
I don't agree with the way some of them go about it' date=' especially when they refuse you for no reason at all[/quote']

And that's my point. Just because I have tattoos does not make me a trouble maker, I keep myself to myself no matter where I go. And I don't wear Burberry or any other clothing which could distinguish me as a 'ned', I just dress normally. If someone is in a queue acting loud and like they may cause a problem inside, then yes, that could be an easy reason to refuse them and that may have been an undisclosed reason not to allow those folk in. Some people may not have the option to go and put on a different top if they stay outside Aberdeen as I do.

I understand the Moshulu 'no Burberry' thing because let's face it only neds and women with more money than taste generally wear Burberry nowadays, any sane person avoids it because of the connotations now associated with it. Your average ned is very likely to cause problems in Moshulu due to the 'alternative' dress sense of the regulars giving them an easy target to mock and cause confrontation. To me, people dressing like a reject from Mad Max 2 is laughable and I had a good chuckle between myself and my girlfriend while attending a gig at Moshulu recently, but that's those peoples choice to make and i'm not going to cause conflict over it. They even have shops selling the full Emily Strange alternative line these days, how original and unique that whole look is now....

The 'smartly dressed' guys stated i'm imagining are the groups of guys dressed in Ben Sherman shirt/jeans/Timberland boots combo types who parade around in a gang on a pub crawl all night and to whom a fight is the next best thing to pulling a woman, followed by kebab/another fight/trying to pull very drunk women trying to get home/another fight when even that fails.

I too have friends who are bouncers and can sympathise with the problems they face, but they have acknowledged to me how bvouncers refusing entry for no genuine reason are out of line and straying beyond their duty.

Why not? It's not discrimination because the person has an option to correct it - if the discrimination is based upon gender or race' date=' they can't change it, but they can correct their dress in order to gain access. It's not discrimination if the person is offered the opportunity to correct it - which the person was.

[/quote']

Cloud, that is still discrimination.

Religion can be changed by a person but if they are refused entry to somewhere because of their religion then that is discrimination.

Ok, is the *no tattooes to be showed* rule an actual liquid policy? If it is, then fair enough, it is their club. If it is not policy then they shouldnt turn people away.

One of my friends was turned away at the now defunt Poonana for being drunk, despite the fact that he is diabetic and follows a strict diet and...oh yeah, doesnt drink. Although he is very short and was with lots of tall people. Face didnt fit...poor show

Guest bluesxman
One of my friends was turned away at the now defunt Poonana for being drunk' date=' despite the fact that he is diabetic and follows a strict diet and...oh yeah, doesnt drink. [/quote']

Yeah that sounds about right.....

I too have friends who are bouncers and can sympathise with the problems they face' date=' but they have acknowledged to me how bvouncers refusing entry for no genuine reason are out of line and straying beyond their duty.[/quote']

Are they really going too far though? I never will understand the mentality of a bouncer, but it seems plainly obvious that if they've been delegated the authority by the manager, then it's their call as to who comes in and who doesn't. If the bouncers don't get to make the call, then who does? I could imagine some very posh places in London having a bloke watching a monitor and instructing the bouncers to admit/refuse accordingly, but in an average club in an average city?

You also have to consider that the job varies from place to place - how do you really know that a bouncer simply hasn't been told by the boss to only admit certain types of people?

Cloud, that is still discrimination.

Religion can be changed by a person but if they are refused entry to somewhere because of their religion then that is discrimination.

It's also illegal to discriminate against someone on the basis of their religion, so no, it can't "just be changed".

Camie, learn about what is discrimination and what isn't before making senseless comments, eh?

Ok' date=' is the *no tattooes to be showed* rule an actual liquid policy? If it is, then fair enough, it is their club. If it is not policy then they shouldnt turn people away.[/quote']

I think it's just under the catch-all "management reserve the right to refuse entry" provision - ultimately, without being there, how do we know what really happened?

What kind of moron phones the papers because he's been refused from a club anyway?