aberdeen-music

label discussion

fab

rough trade - i absolutely adore this label- they always have something new and refreshing coming out. i would really recommend everyone to go out and buy ' stop me if you think you've heard this one before' , its a rough trade 25th anniversary cd with bands doing covers of other fellow rough trade artists songs. its totally got me in to a load of new bands who i would love to find out more about - mystic chords of memory, the hidden cameras, the veils and the tyde.

so many top bands are on rough trade - the stokes, libertines, eastern lane, belle and sebastian, british sea power plus loads from the last two and a half decades. rough trade are consistently discovering and promoting new talent and thats why i love them and theres always someone new to listen to.they have been central to the exposure of countless bands over the last 25 years.

what other labels to people feel have been pivitol in securing and promoting success for bands you like/ otherwise wouldnt have listened to?

Guest Scott 5FD

Household Name Records - one of the best punk/ska labels in the UK. home to the likes of Capitain Everything!, CapDown, The Foamers, Big D and The Kids Table. i like loads of bands on this label.

Lookout! Records - classic label, released stuff by The Buzzcocks, Lunachicks, Green Day and Squirtgun amongst others.

Epitaph/Fat Wreck Chords/Hellcat Records - so many good bands like NOFX, Rancid, Bad Religion, Pennywise etc and has offshoot labels like Burning Heart, Honest Don's, Pink and Black and a few more.

Guest stuartmaxwell

chemical underground

southern records

dischord

most labels that bands start up to release a record eg

tre-pannerhead (gordon from macrocosmica i believe)

pet piranha (mercury tilt switch/yakuza)

what about fat hippy?i dont like many of the bands on fat hippy though-apart from electric tibet and karloff

Guest Tam o' Shantie

lookout records do it for me. though they have gone downhill of recent and did put out a rancid release. asides from occasional hiccups like that they have released some of the most phenominal pop surf and punk records of the last 20 years

Guest highroller

Victory...what a fucking label...seem like a good place to be (apart from hat rumoured story about Thursday) and has awesome bands like TBS, Atreyu, Glasseater, Spitalfield, silverstein and many more as well as the awesome bands they have had.....

fat wreck...we all know its awesome and why...

Epitaph...

Vagrant seems cool...

Originally posted by Bass Monkey:

Epitaph/Fat Wreck Chords/Hellcat Records - so many good bands like NOFX, Rancid, Bad Religion, Pennywise etc and has offshoot labels like Burning Heart, Honest Don's, Pink and Black and a few more.

na na na

it should read

Epitaph- has offshoot labels like epitaph europe, burning heart, hellcat and a few others (like that one where they put out the straight RnR and country stuff)

Fat Wreck Chords-has offshoot labels like honest dons,pink and black.

Epitaph and Fat are separate bodies.

but yeah those 2 are probably my favourites, although lookout does kick ass, i just dont have enough of their releases

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one's mentioned Ninjatune yet - The Herbaliser, Amon Tobin, DJ Vadim, Mr.Scruff, DJ Food, Funki Porcini, Kid Koala - a sterling group of artists! I love loads of the Warp Records output as well. Not really sure about more rock labels but Buddyhead releases some damn fine stuff and Mute is always interesting.

• 14 years later...