aberdeen-music

Howl's Moving Castle!

PrincessHolly

Noticed it on the board at the Belmont to be showing soon.

Downloaded it ages ago when it was first released in Japan (fansubbed), and tbh i was pretty dissapointed. In terms of animation, it's perfect. It is all top quality, and flows perfectly (expected of miyazaki and Ghiblii). The story just kinda let it down for me, found it a bit boring. He didn't write it, i think it was an English woman (maybe American), although it's still his style of story (lots of flying wooo).

Still a great film though, well worth going to (I will be), just not up to his standards I'd say. It's no Mononoke or Totoro ;)

I'll be interested to see what everyone else thinks of it though, maybe I'll enjoy it more this time.

It's based on a book of the same name by Diana Whynne Jones, she did magical kids stories way before JK Rowling, and is still going. I cannot wait to see this film, I adore Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki's films. They are all great fun and very touching not to mention beautifully made. Did anyone see The Cat Returns at the Belmont last month?

Is the Belmont showing the dubbed or subbed version of Howl's Moving Castle, anyone know?

It's based on a book of the same name by Diana Whynne Jones' date=' she did magical kids stories way before JK Rowling, and is still going. I cannot wait to see this film, I adore Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki's films. They are all great fun and very touching not to mention beautifully made. Did anyone see The Cat Returns at the Belmont last month?

Is the Belmont showing the dubbed or subbed version of Howl's Moving Castle, anyone know?[/quote']

Just phoned the Belmont and it's subtitles all the way! :D

If Cineworld are anything like UGC, then they will most likely show the dubbed version.

Don't know about you, but I'm gonna see this at the Belmont for sure.

I watched Sky Blue the other day (aka Wonderful Days) - was shocked that Belmont were showing it dubbed. :down:

Details on the legal Japanese DVD

Cheers OP for starting this thread. :D

It's based on a book of the same name by Diana Whynne Jones' date=' she did magical kids stories way before JK Rowling, and is still going. I cannot wait to see this film, I adore Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki's films. They are all great fun and very touching not to mention beautifully made. Did anyone see The Cat Returns at the Belmont last month?

Is the Belmont showing the dubbed or subbed version of Howl's Moving Castle, anyone know?[/quote']

I saw The Cat Returns just before Ayacon at the Belmont, it was so well dubbed and I usually HATE dubs!

Im looking forward to seeing this latest movie from Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki!

It's based on a book of the same name by Diana Whynne Jones' date=' she did magical kids stories way before JK Rowling, and is still going. [/quote']

Oh wow, I used to love her books! I might go see it if it's based on something she wrote. Even though I'm not really into those kind of films.

But still. Go read her books, they're great.

Sky Blue is Korean isn't it? Is there a big difference in the style of anime compared to Japanese?

Aye it's South Korean. Visually it looks impressive' date=' a subtle blend of handrawn 2D and 3D CGI animation. The style isn't as exagerated as Japanese anime (smaller eyes), but there is a distinct Far Eastern flavour. The amount of detail is staggering but the film really needs a good plot.

Note that Sky Blue is the UK title... everywhere else, it's called Wonderful Days.

[img']http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2223/wodafurudaysu6fq.jpg

For anyone interested in Miyazaki (or enjoyed HMC), a lot of the ghibli films are being released on dvd between now and (mostly) the start of next year; mainly Miyazaki. Nausicaa is on the 26th, which you should all buy. Others recommended to get would be My Neighbour Totoro, Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro, Laputa Castle in the Sky and Porco Rosso (havn't seen, heard good things).

Actually, the worst Miyazaki film I have seen is Howl's Moving Castle, and that says something.

EDIT: link http://www.animetion.co.uk/news.htm (down a little)