aberdeen-music

what makes a great album

blinkin biggie

Guest pop-notmyface

you need about a million things happening at once to make you go "wow" after listening to an album or cd.

1. you need to actually get into the music you're listening. if you're feeling it, that's a good start.

2. you need to be in the right mood for what you're listening. if you're feeling down and what you're listening to is generally quite introverted or depressed, you probably won't feel any better after listening to it.

3. you may have to listen to something completely new to actually get the "wow" effect. if it's something done a million times before, then you won't be very surprised with what you're hearing.

4. the album/cd needs to have a healthy mix of different styles. if you're listening to 10 minutes songs for an hour, you'll probably lose your attention span, or if the songs sound all the same. you need something fast and something slow. something hard and something soft.

5. the music needs to have all the right "parts", ie. vocal, guitar, drums, chopsticks, whatever. if the vocals suck in your opinon, but the bass line sounds sweet, you'll have divided opinions. no "wow" factor.

6. while you're listening, you need to be in the right kind of "situation". if you listen to something and it brings back a particularly good memory, you'll be very...uh...happy.

7. and of course taste. it all comes done to one thing really.

mesmerise system of a down

number of the beast iron maiden

machine head deep purple

master of puppets metallica

bleach nirvana

through the ashes of empires machine head

adrenalize def leppard

sessions for robert j 2 eric clapton

early days led zepplin

back in black ac/dc

that albums gave me the wow factor,

you need to have a good first track to grab the listener by the balls

ie imperium battery invaders

fat paul

I reckon Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd is a pretty perfect album. I'm not sure why exactly, and it's not even my favourite Floyd album as far as songs are concerned but it's just perfectly constructed, and when it gets to the end, you don't feel like you've just listened to a row of songs, but one long composition with a beginning, a middle and an end. After all, that is the first thing you learn when you're writing stories so I guess albums should do it too.

my favourite albums are:

Badmotorfinger-soundgarden

Aenima-Tool

The Bends_Radiohead

In Utero-Nirvana

Loveless-My Bloody Valentine

Doolittle-Pixies

Grace-Jeff Buckley

wish you were here-Pink Floyd

London Calling-The Clash

Diamond Dogs-David Bowie

the only thing these albums have in common is that i love every song on them.

start with some kick ass songs, end with some kick ass songs and have some kicks ass songs in the middle .

thats how you make a great album.

Guest AmbientMood

Aphex Twin - 'I care because you do.' A totally unpredictable album, one you could listen to hundreds of times yet never really hear everything, always discovering new parts you apparently never noticed before.

Aphex Twin - 'I care because you do.' A totally unpredictable album' date=' one you could listen to hundreds of times yet never really hear everything, always discovering new parts you apparently never noticed before.[/quote']

Yes, I agree with that. I almost prefer albums that I don't think much of first time round but become obsessed the more I listen to it.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()
heres a question

if you purchased a CD and after listening though wow!!

what makes that wow factor to yourself??

whats albums has anyone listened to lately and thought its a great album and why??

when the music is good.......................................

Guest bluesxman

Needs to have a consistently high standard of song throughout with good pacing and holds interest throughout. Pretty tall order because even my favourite bands generally have at least one song on an album i'm really not keen on, but i'll go with -

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Acme

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues

Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables

Nirvana - Nevermind

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Dirty Three - Whatever You Love You Are

Sex Pistols - Nevermind The Bollocks....

Radiohead - The Bends

great album

It's really hard to unravell the whole great album mystery. Who can possibly have the right credentials or CV to really say what can or not be called a great album. Surely the individual involved can decide whether he or she thinks its a great album. I would say i have a pretty weird musical taste that some would find hard to bear. I tend to prefer the whole 'I'm going to slit my wrists, however before hand i might write a song' approach to music. Some hate it. It doesn't change what I like. It doesn't make the Cure or Interpol think 'Ok lets write a song about about children playing around and making daisy chains, i don't want to be dark anymore!' It's all about taste. Magazines who say such and such album is the best ever are bullshitting. How can you ever decide, it's an impossibility! Until people all love the same music it's never gonna happen so let's thank God that we all disagree!