aberdeen-music

Nintendo plans one-handed joypad

Guest tv tanned

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmm. sounds kinda interesting' date=' i'm sure nintendo know what they're doing.[/quote']

Nintendo are kind of like an old man in the community who gives free sweets to children and tells genuniely funny, clean jokes to you on the way home from school and lets you pet his dog and you think he's awesome but then some teenagers decide he's weird and beat him up and set him on fire even though he's innocent.

In other words, I love them dearly but they start needing to listen to consumers rather then telling them what they want and shoving it down their throats. I trust them to produce some great in-house games to support this thing, but it might shaft multi-platform ports. Could you imagine playing a beat 'em up on it?

if you dont like it...........shut the fuck up......you can still use cube pads on the revolution

gdnght xxx

If that's directed at me' date=' read my post again.

I've got no problems with the pad, but it could make some conversions difficult and potentially scare away third-party developers.

I've got a couple of problems with article:

Mr Iwata said the Revolution controller and console was aimed at converting new users to gaming who were scared off by the fast pace of existing games.

"If we can't do that, we might as well stand back and watch the market die off," he said.

Mr Iwata was later heard to add: "so you can play Mario Wand (or whatever) and like it!! Also, if you've been playing Nintendo games for years and would like to play them without gimmicks I guess you can go eat a bowl of dicks! You can even use our pad as a spoon to shovel them into your mouth!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm using sarcasm to prove a point, but I'm really worried that the typically conservative Western market will run a mile from (frankly unasked for) innovation. Having said that, we've seen plenty of sales of dance pads, cameras and steering wheels in recent years so I could be wrong. I trust Nintendo to pull this off, but will it mean the end of some developers relationship with Nintendo? I guess we'll have to wait 'til we see the "traditional pad" this thing slots into.

The Revolution's controller can be used to fight with on-screen weapons such as swords or control vehicles and characters but was also capable of representing quite delicate movements, said Mr Iwata.

This DOES sound cool and you've got no soul if you disagree, but I hope third-party developers can get to grips with using it. THAT'S my biggest fear.

Erm...yes! imagine the possibilties! You could perform your own moves!

Imagine you were playin Soul Calibur as Mitsurugi. You could slash your opponent with your sword and choose to slash sideways' date=' up, down whatever you wanted![/quote']

I agree that sounds really, really cool but not practical. The Soul Calibur games have never played like that and unless Namco did a Revolution only version (which I imagine would be pretty costly) which completely changed the dynamic that's worked with the series so far, it's probably not viable. I'm not trying to shit on this idea, I'm just nervous for Nintendo. I want them to succeed.

Having said that, I'm excited about what this could mean for Zelda games and Metroid games :D

only slight problem being the fact the bbc only have half the controller... :rolleyes:

nintendo.jpg

it also involves a sensor near the screen to detect movement and so on too i think, it actually looks rather cool, it will definately be interesting to see how it works out, compared to a normal controller shape

it will be cool to see the new nintendo console, i loved the N64 - awesome games like mario 64, goldeneye, mariocart, zelda, etc, and trhe gamecube was aweomse, though i never really got into it (i have had other things i wanted to do with my time - more time spent online, etc...) someday i really need to go and buy a load of games for it and start playing again

goldeneye is still a brilliant multiplayer game, even if it is pretty outdated now with newer fancier games with better graphics or gameplay or whatever, the gameplay is still brilliant fun

David

Guest Jake Wifebeater
You're wrong. It's a steaming turd. Never understood why nintendo fans think it's so great. Perfect Dark was a much better game.

I agree, never saw what all the fuss was about. Give me "Majora's Mask" any day.

and perfect dark zero is a 360 exclusive and should be rockin.

next soul calibur is gonna be a ps2 exclusive too, which totally sucks as the ps2 version was nothing compared to gamcube and xbox versions.

shame zelda's slipped to next year now, it was the only thing keeping the cube alive in this country. i fear for the cubes safety now.

If that's directed at me' date=' read my post again.

I've got no problems with the pad, but it could make some conversions difficult and potentially scare away third-party developers.

I've got a couple of problems with article:

Mr Iwata was later heard to add: "so you can play Mario Wand (or whatever) and like it!! Also, if you've been playing Nintendo games for years and would like to play them without gimmicks I guess you can go eat a bowl of dicks! You can even use our pad as a spoon to shovel them into your mouth!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm using sarcasm to prove a point, but I'm really worried that the typically conservative Western market will run a mile from (frankly unasked for) innovation. Having said that, we've seen plenty of sales of dance pads, cameras and steering wheels in recent years so I could be wrong. I trust Nintendo to pull this off, but will it mean the end of some developers relationship with Nintendo? I guess we'll have to wait 'til we see the "traditional pad" this thing slots into.

This DOES sound cool and you've got no soul if you disagree, but I hope third-party developers can get to grips with using it. THAT'S my biggest fear.[/quote']

directed at anybody that was moaning over the new pad

Let's look at the next generation pads:

XBOX 360

258838.jpg

- Pretty much the same as the XBOX Controller S, gone are the black and white buttons from the front of the controller and are now shifted to the back. Other than that, the only main difference is the X button. Which will play an integral part in XBOX Live. Overall, pretty decent pad, but not much change.

PS3

con1.jpg

- Again Sony stick to the same layout, but have redesigned the pad (thank god) into something totally different. It's smaller, it's much smaller, but I'm not happy with the stupid curveyness of it. It's a bit annoying. Just don't think it'd be comfortable. Time will tell.

Nintendo Revolution

nintendo.jpg

- Nintendo has done it again with their innovation. They had the Z trigger, the one thing missing from every controller since (but now back in this new controller). I mean, wtf! A one handed controller with optional analogue stick plus other peripherals? It's a remote controller! Where are the buttons? Are there just A & B? It doesn't make sense! I think in all honesty, no one can say whether they like this or not until they have actually used one, which won't be til a very long time for us, possibly even as far as 2007, you know what Nintendo are like.

My personal preference will be for the XBOX 360, but that's only because I'm heavily biased towards the XBrick, and also the fact that I'll have it about a year before the rest!

The next year will be possibly the greatest year in gaming history, I for one cannot wait!!!

ps. Buy Fahrenheit!! It's awesome! ^_^

PS3

con1.jpg

- Again Sony stick to the same layout' date=' but have redesigned the pad (thank god) into something totally different. It's smaller, it's much smaller, but I'm not happy with the stupid curveyness of it. It's a bit annoying. Just don't think it'd be comfortable. Time will tell.[/quote']

thank god?

The playstation controller as it is is perfect. Actually perfect.

ps3 controller looks like a banana, i would like to try it out though.