aberdeen-music

[Geek Alert] Web hosting in the middle of New Orleans

Neil

Probably more for you geeks like me out there but have any of you been keeping tabs on a web hosting company called directNIC? They operate from the middle of New Orleans and have throughout the entire disaster so far managed to stay online and keep their customer's web sites up and running. It is simply quite amazing what these engineers are putting themselves though.

They have a blog online here with regular updates of their on-going struggle. It also gives an interesting commentary on what is going on in New Orleans that seems to be often at odds with the mainstream media's reports (surprise, surprise).

What worries me about all this hurricane madness is that this web site is hosted in Florida. Does anyone know if hurricanes ever make it as far as Orlando? ?(

Probably more for you geeks like me out there but have any of you been keeping tabs on a web hosting company called directNIC? They operate from the middle of New Orleans and have throughout the entire disaster so far managed to stay online and keep their customer's web sites up and running. It is simply quite amazing what these engineers are putting themselves though.

They have a blog online here with regular updates of their on-going struggle. It also gives an interesting commentary on what is going on in New Orleans that seems to be often at odds with the mainstream media's reports (surprise' date=' surprise).

What worries me about all this hurricane madness is that this web site is hosted in Florida. Does anyone know if hurricanes ever make it as far as Orlando? ?([/quote']

Is DirectNIC the company SA had their servers on? Something Awful went down due to having their servers in New Orleans, got them up and started to start a charity drive and then got shat on by shitty service at pay pal. RAGE!

I remember when I was in Orlando there was a hurricane heading our way, I was totally scared, watched the weather channel while everyone was out in the pool. No one believed the reports and we headed off to universal studios funniest holiday pic we have is us all in bright red stupid rain cover things what a holiday that was!