aberdeen-music

Articles section now available...

Neil

I have now added a further new section to the web site in an attempt to make more content available to the online community. This new section is called Articles and gives all members a more formal and organised way to submit things like gig reviews, record reviews, how-to guides, advice and even their own columns if they wish. At present this section has not been divided into sub-sections but I hope to do this over time once articles start to build-up.

Posting articles is near identical to starting regular forum threads but offers some more advanced features such as being able to break up your article in separate pages, add image attachments as well as give readers of your articles an easier way to rate and post comments on them. All articles posted are manually moderated by the staff to ensure they are of a suitable relevance and quality.

I know quite a few of our members have made some excellent posts that could be considered articles in themselves and I'm hoping they will now spend some time to submit some material into this new section as well. All articles posted into the section of the web site will be made public to both members and non-members of the web site to ensure maximum exposure.

So what are you waiting for people? Get typing up your articles! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've taken an article off-line, if you guys are serious about having an articles section you better be serious about moderating it, otherwise there will be no more articles.

I'm fed up having to report peurile, juvenile and personal attacks on a forum which should be free from such things.

Sort it out mods, or I don't see a lot of people bothering to post articles in the future, certainly not me.

I've taken an article off-line' date=' if you guys are serious about having an articles section you better be serious about moderating it, otherwise there will be no more articles.

I'm fed up having to report peurile, juvenile and personal attacks on a forum which should be free from such things.

Sort it out mods, or I don't see a lot of people bothering to post artricles in the future, certainly not me.[/quote']

Ian, every time you reported a comment on your article we deleted it and Flash's last response seemed nothing more than a tongue-in-cheek comment to me rather than a personal attack. There will always be juvenile and silly replies made to articles just like there is to some threads. We would like to stop this happening but we can't I'm afraid and can only try to deter people from doing so by deleting their posts and banning them if necessary (and has happened in the case of one person who replied to your article).

If this proves to be a frequent problem then I will simply make replies to articles impossible.

Ian' date=' every time you reported a comment on your article we deleted it and Flash's last response seemed nothing more than a tongue-in-cheek comment to me rather than a personal attack. There will always be juvenile and silly replies made to articles just like there is to some threads. We would like to stop this happening but we can't I'm afraid and can only try to deter people from doing so by deleting their posts and banning them if necessary (and has happened in the case of one person who replied to your article).

If this proves to be a frequent problem then I will simply make replies to articles impossible.[/quote']

The point is, I'm not a moderator, and if the articles section is to work, it has to be moderated firmly. There has been some comments deleted (ironically what Betamax continues to refer to) which were genuine questions, and my replies to those genuine questions.

Disallowing comments is not going to work, I could post any old shit then, and no-one could pull me up about it.

If you want an articles section, strict moderation is the only way it'll work. Until I get the promise of strict moderation, my article will stay offline, and I certainly won't post any more.

And if someone want to call me a cunt, there is a plethora of smileys to indicate their "humour".

Disallowing comments is not going to work' date=' I could post any old shit then, and no-one could pull me up about it.

If you want an articles section, strict moderation is the only way it'll work. Until I get the promise of strict moderation, my article will stay offline, and I certainly won't post any more.

[/quote']

Articles themselves are moderated and so people can't post "any old shit" if they so desired even if replying to the said articles was prevented as we simply wouldn't allow the article to be approved in the first place.

All the staff try their hardest to moderator this web site the best they can. We are volunteers and do not promise to monitor the web site 24x7 as we have our own lives and jobs to tend to. We certainly can't read every post and thread that is posted on the web site (there is hundreds of posts made each day) and so will always strongly rely on people reporting particular posts in order to bring them to our attention. If this is not good enough for you then I can only apologise but it is the best we can do at present.

What if we also moderated replies to articles? It would add work on our part but would this satisfy people's concerns?

I've actually been trying to decide wether to take my articles offline aswell' date=' since there seems to be no benefit and have had several insulting comments from people who obviously dont understand the point in trying to share things.[/quote']

Same thing that's stopped me posting an article.

Neil, could you not introduce something where all comments made in reply to an article are screened by a staff member before they get posted? It'd be subjective, but surely it wouldn't take more than a couple of seconds to decide whether a comment is suitable?

Neil' date=' could you not introduce something where all comments made in reply to an article are screened by a staff member before they get posted? It'd be subjective, but surely it wouldn't take more than a couple of seconds to decide whether a comment is suitable?[/quote']

I could indeed. See my last comment above.

Neil' date=' could you not introduce something where all comments made in reply to an article are screened by a staff member before they get posted?[/quote']

i was just away to sudjest that...

Articles themselves are moderated and so people can't post "any old shit" if they so desired even if replying to the said articles was prevented as we simply wouldn't allow the article to be approved in the first place.

All the staff try their hardest to moderator this web site the best they can. We are volunteers and do not promise to monitor the web site 24x7 as we have our own lives and jobs to tend to. We certainly can't read every post and thread that is posted on the web site (there is hundreds of posts made each day) and so will always strongly rely on people reporting particular posts in order to bring them to our attention. If this is not good enough for you then I can only apologise but it is the best we can do at present.

What if we also moderated replies to articles? It would add work on our part but would this satisfy people's concerns?

I thought you would moderate everything on the articles section a bit heavier, it's not as if there's a lot of traffic. (Find todays posts should suffice)

If you guys mod it properly, I'll continue to contribute. If there's any doubt about the comment ,maybe slinging the author of the article a quick PM would help.

At the end of the day, having a good article followed by three pages of personal attacks/abuse doesn't help anyone to learn anything, apart form "Don't go to AB-Mus, it's a viper pit"

Okay' date=' lets just keep it simple. From immediate effect all new articles as well as all replies are now moderated.[/quote']

I thought they would've been from the start, after all the promises of tighter modding on the new site.

Thanks Neil, I'll put it back up as soon as I see the offending posts gone, [edit]or I would've if someone hadn't deleted the entire article.

I thought they would've been from the start' date=' after all the promises of tighter modding on the new site.

Thanks Neil, I'll put it back up as soon as I see the offending posts gone, [edit']or I would've if someone hadn't deleted the entire article.

The article is back now. I just deleted the whole thing before when you removed the article as there wasn't much point keeping it there.