Chris

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steve Irwin
as the rest of the top bands in aberdeen

i would seriously disagree with that

having listened to your music i dont think you are a top band in abdn.

i think techincaly you are profficient enough, but with regards to songwriting and general lyrics you fall waaay short of many bands in aberdeen and scotland. You do not write songs which stamp character on them, i had no desire to go out and buy your records and think your songs lack hooks good enough to call yourselves one of the best bands in aberdeen.

however, good on you for actually getting out there and doing it. it puts you far ahead of the keyboard mongrels and local bands who play kef and the tunnells every week

Guest DustyDeviada
i would seriously disagree with that

having listened to your music i dont think you are a top band in abdn.

i think techincaly you are profficient enough' date=' but with regards to songwriting and general lyrics you fall waaay short of many bands in aberdeen and scotland. You do not write songs which stamp character on them, i had no desire to go out and buy your records and think your songs lack hooks good enough to call yourselves one of the best bands in aberdeen.

[/quote']

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...

batmanowned.jpg

Nice!

unfortunately we enjoy our music and dont have any urge to express our views on the world on anyone. music is about enjoyement and with regards having something meaningful to say - thats very noble and i am sure if it was you you would be saving the world! But we just went onto Northsound played some tunes and had a laugh obviously a lot of it went over yours and others heads but i wont be losing sleep over it.

regards criticism' date=' why would we take it on board?

we play the music we write and enjoy and act as normal, maybe we dont take it as serious as yourself and worry about the social implications and how it would upset someone like yourself!

we are lucky enough to have a large following who enjoy the music, buy the cds, come to gigs etc [/quote']

All bands should take criticism on board, it's the only way you learn how to evolve for fuck's sake. That's an incredibly arrogant way of thinking - you;re basically saying "we know better than everyone else. If you don't think it's good, you're shit"

just a wee thing relating to another point on the forum regarding promotion the reason we get on the radio ( northsound 5 times/radio scotland 2 times/radio clyde 4 times) to do sessions/have interviews which upset the natives is because we are constantly promoting the band and trying to get ourselves noticed. you seem to think we have it easier than everyone else but we work just as hard as the rest of the top bands in aberdeen to get ourselves noticed hence why we do se well.

take it easy

Namedropping doesn't change the fact your music is awful and that the only thing you could possibly bring to the national music scene is it's demise.

The Little Kicks have been played on Radio 1 - yet you don't see them banging on about it. That's why no one hates them.

The only reason folk have a go at you is because you clearly need to be taken down a peg or fifteen. Don't gloat, it's cuntish.

Guest DustyDeviada

The Little Kicks have been played on Radio 1 - yet you don't see them banging on about it. That's why no one hates them.

Correct, I've got a lot of respect for The Little Kicks, not only for what they're achieving, but also the way they are going about it. :up:

All bands should take criticism on board' date=' it's the only way you learn how to evolve for fuck's sake. That's an incredibly arrogant way of thinking - you;re basically saying "we know better than everyone else. If you don't think it's good, you're shit".[/quote']

Quality,

so because we dont want to sound the same as others or act the same as others we are now arrogant. what happened to being individual?

Regards 'if you dont think its good, youre shit' that is a bit off the page. all i have said is that if you dont like our music dont listen, the same way if i dont like a band i dont listen to them. what i dont have to do is spend my time trying to bring them down and then get upset because i find that they dont really mind people having their own opinions!

regards being hated in the local scene etc, the only hate coming towards us is coming via this forum (and people from this forum going on to our forum) and has done long before i went on the radio and had a bit of crack so nothing new has happened. i still go see lots of bands and have a good time, including the little kicks who i agree are one of many great bands on the local scene. i have yet to be approached by the agreived 'local scene ' people i have supposedly disgruntled so badly!!

anyway i must go back to my 'cuntish' ways but will be back later to see what this last paragraph has done to upset the local community!!

take it easy

Quality' date='

so because we dont want to sound the same as others or act the same as others we are now arrogant. what happened to being individual?

Regards 'if you dont think its good, youre shit' that is a bit off the page. all i have said is that if you dont like our music dont listen, the same way if i dont like a band i dont listen to them. what i dont have to do is spend my time trying to bring them down and then get upset because i find that they dont really mind people having their own opinions!

regards being hated in the local scene etc, the only hate coming towards us is coming via this forum (and people from this forum going on to our forum) and has done long before i went on the radio and had a bit of crack so nothing new has happened. i still go see lots of bands and have a good time, including the little kicks who i agree are one of many great bands on the local scene. i have yet to be approached by the agreived 'local scene ' people i have supposedly disgruntled so badly!!

anyway i must go back to my 'cuntish' ways but will be back later to see what this last paragraph has done to upset the local community!!

take it easy[/quote']

Now I know how a dentist feels...

Look, you said "regards criticism, why would we take it on board?" and I said "All bands should take criticism on board, it's the only way you learn how to evolve for fuck's sake." I did NOT say you should try to sound like other bands. In fact, one of the GREATEST bits of criticism you should take on board is that YOU SOUND LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING PUB BAND IN THE COUNTRY. You say you don't want to sound like other bands... well you've failed. Miserably.

"If you don't think it's good, you're shit" isn't off the page. If you don't take criticism on board, you obviously think you know better than everyone else. But any musician with half a fucking brain realises that they're always going to be their own biggest fan, and therefore extremely biased - you need someone else's perspective to truly gauge the quality of your music. To do otherwise is just ridiculously arrogant.

I too would like to know what happened to individuality. Where did you hide it?

Now I know how a dentist feels...

Look' date=' you said "regards criticism, why would we take it on board?" and I said "All bands should take criticism on board, it's the only way you learn how to evolve for fuck's sake." I did NOT say you should try to sound like other bands. In fact, one of the GREATEST bits of criticism you should take on board is that YOU SOUND LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING PUB BAND IN THE COUNTRY. You say you don't want to sound like other bands... well you've failed. Miserably.

"If you don't think it's good, you're shit" isn't off the page. If you don't take criticism on board, you obviously think you know better than everyone else. But any musician with half a fucking brain realises that they're always going to be their own biggest fan, and therefore extremely biased - you need someone else's perspective to truly gauge the quality of your music. To do otherwise is just ridiculously arrogant.

I too would like to know what happened to individuality. Where did you hide it?[/quote']

haha that is sad

so what you are saying is that the constructive criticism i should take is 'that you sound like yevery other fucking pub band in the country' and obviously you being an authority on such matters - you play pubs and thus are a pub band at present and we dont sound like you

now i will try and keep this simple for you as you are struggling with the concept of having your own opinion -

all i have said is that there are many different styles of music which dont appeal to everyone. what you are saying is that you dont like our music and what we do which is fair enough.

now i have been to your website and listened to your tunes which i am sure you are very happy with and think that is the sound everything should be judged by. again it is not my thing but appreciate the fact you are playing the music you love.

so you do what you do for the people that like what you do and we do the same for the people that like us.if you become successful playing your stuff then more power to you and i wish you well, in the same vain just because you dont like our music doesnt mean that it isnt good.. just not what YOU like

i write the way i write and as i have never seen 'Blood on the Merry Go round' and havent 'Heard the Screams' recently nor do I know where the 'Devil Dwells' that will not be the way i write as that would be me following a trend set by you which would make me a follower not an individual.

so good luck and i will hopefully get down to drummonds tomorrow to catch your set if not have a great gig

cheers

Guest DustyDeviada

I actually didn't realise that GSN were from Aberdeen when I saw them at Free at the Dee. The fat guitarist guy who did all the talking sounded like he was from Glasgow or somewhere in the central belt.

Eskimo blonde

Hi there, well all i can say is i have heard all the sunday sessions from the start and enjoyed all of them. Sure the show is new and will take a wee while to get going but its a start and live music is where its at. I suggest all the local bands get their music in and appear on the show at some point. Liked Little Kcks a few weeks ago. As for Eskimo Blonde, melodious as ever, caught them about a month ago in the Malt Mill and they were smoking !! Seems to be a lttle heavier and rocky compared to their older stuff. A few little niggles to iron out, but they rock big time.

:rockon:

Guest DustyDeviada
there's a girl band on the x factor who have made it through to the next round called eskimo blonde. which is quite worrying for the aberdeen band eskimo blonde who i would suggest consult some lawyers.

I noticed that as well but didn't want to admit to seeing the X Factor on here.

Mrs Deviada makes me watch it, honest.

Oh, and what's the point in consulting lawyers when there are so many experts and so much informed opinion on here? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday Session 2nd Oct

Northsound 1 Sunday Session 02/10/05

ROTW is "BRMC - Weight of the World", but was so nearly Crimea again, or Franz Fallen

New Order - Temptation (Secret Machines Remix Edit)

The Crimea - Lottery Winners on Acid

The Libertines - Time for Heroes

Super Furry Animals - Lazer Beam

The Subways - Oh Yeah

BRMC - Weight of the World

The Paddingtons - Panic Attack

We Are Scientists - The Great Escape

The Go Team - Bottle Rocket

Hard Fi - Tied Up Too Tight

Cinematics - Chase

Oasis - Cast No Shadow

Happy Mondays - Playground Superstar

Supergrass - Low C

Graham Coxon - Freakin Out

Franz Ferdinand - The Fallen

Franz Ferdinand - You're the Reason I'm Leaving

Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better

Shed Seven - Disco Down

Mr Rick Witter was in studio, and we had the little matter of the Coca Cola Centre Stage with Idlewild, Goldfrapp, Hard-Fi, Subways, Dogs, The Gems all live.

Get more shirts/promo items in. We're doing a feature in 3 weeks about it all.

I'm also after acoustic sessions, so if you're in town or have stock you can send, then send.

7 thru 10 Every Sunday right after the Schools Challange

Cheers guys

Al

there's a girl band on the x factor who have made it through to the next round called eskimo blonde. which is quite worrying for the aberdeen band eskimo blonde who i would suggest consult some lawyers.

Fuck that, they'd be better keeping quiet and hoping the girl band win, then they can go "oi, no", get loads of cash from the production company and use that (and the inevitable fame from having their name stolen) to propel themselves to rock glory.

Surely a program like X-Factor would check out names/etc before things get "serious" though, no?

Fuck that' date=' they'd be better keeping quiet and hoping the girl band win, then they can go "oi, no", get loads of cash from the production company and use that (and the inevitable fame from having their name stolen) to propel themselves to rock glory.

Surely a program like X-Factor would check out names/etc before things get "serious" though, no?[/quote']

nope, they have better lawyers and could probably claim that as eskimo blonde the girl band are more well known(if they win) then the aberdeen group would be forced to change their name. i believe there is precedent for this as well. major labels tend not to be beaten on these things, bottomless pits of money and all that. best to get in now while no one cares about them.