aberdeen-music

Sunday Session on Northsound

Chris

Good stuff this week so far. He's already played Girl Said No, Red Man Walking and Eric Euan all in the first hour. Good job. Probably still won't please some people on this site as he's not played anything made by face painted, black clad dwarves from a Norwegian hill fort yet but considering we've had nothing alternative on northsound in recent years it's a great thing.

Now is anyone actually listening to it?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northsound 1 Sunday Session 11/09/05

Ben Folds Five Army

Morning Runner Up in Flames

Idlewild El Captain

Snow Patrol Spitting Games

Girl Said No Hard Habit to Break

deus 7 Days 7 Weeks

The Futureheads Decent days and nights

The Subways Oh Yeah

Rinocerose Bitch

Maximo Park Wasteland

Offspring Self Asteem

Red Man Walking Tear up the World

Eric Euan MindField

Cardigans I Need Some Fine Wine, and you, You need to be nicer

Little Kicks After Tomorrow Before Today (Live in Studio)

Coral It was nothing ROTW

Muse Plug in baby

Elbow Forget Myself

Athlete Tourist

Editors Blood

Franz Ferdinand Do You Wanna

The Explosion No Revolution

Baxter Dury Cages

Little Kicks She Kissed the Gun (Live in Studio)

Hot Hot Heat You Owe Me an I O U

Ordinary Boys Life Will be the Death of Me

Little Kicks The Optimist

No Hope in New Jersey Decline

Soulwax e Talking

Foo Fighters Best of Me

Eskimo Blonde All for the Love

Radiohead I want none of this

Howie Day She Says

Hard Fi Living for the Weekend

Hard Fi Tied up too tight

Kaiser Chiefs Heard it Through the Grapevine

Next Week......Eskimo Blonde.

Get your CD's and GIG LISTINGS in to sundaysession@northsound1.com

Thats such a great setlist. It brilliant that the Aberdeen scene is getting its voice recognised in such a way and that the scene leading bands such as Girl Said No or Eskimo Blonde are getting radio play in a renowned sunday evening spot thats guaranteed to win them a 'major record contract in Spain' or something like that.

Seriously though the only thing I get from this show is a major misunderstanding of the local scene and what it stands for. They pick safe pub bands like GSN and do a deathly interview with some guitar player who claims that they are the greatest band ever and talks with about as much passion as an Interview with the Newcastle centre-forward pairing. I mean great they sold tickets faster than Geri Halliwell or something and drone on and on about it... but does anyone in any decent Aberdeen band eg. Little Kicks, Copy Halo, Stroszek, Dedalus really care about all this nonesense. Im sure if I was in a band I'd avoid being involved with this show like the plauge.

To summarize I hate this show because they msitake 'indie' (oh lets end the show on The Seahorses' etc) with alternative (i.e. real bands on the scene playing music with passion). The days of Del and Jim Gellatly were great cos thoose guys cared but the new show is just token filler for sunday night. It could be a million times better.

Thats such a great setlist. It brilliant that the Aberdeen scene is getting its voice recognised in such a way and that the scene leading bands such as Girl Said No or Eskimo Blonde are getting radio play in a renowned sunday evening spot thats guaranteed to win them a 'major record contract in Spain' or something like that.

Seriously though the only thing I get from this show is a major misunderstanding of the local scene and what it stands for. They pick safe pub bands like GSN and do a deathly interview with some guitar player who claims that they are the greatest band ever and talks with about as much passion as an Interview with the Newcastle centre-forward pairing. I mean great they sold tickets faster than Geri Halliwell or something and drone on and on about it... but does anyone in any decent Aberdeen band eg. Little Kicks' date=' Copy Halo, Stroszek, Dedalus really care about all this nonesense. Im sure if I was in a band I'd avoid being involved with this show like the plauge.

To summarize I hate this show because they msitake 'indie' (oh lets end the show on The Seahorses' etc) with alternative (i.e. real bands on the scene playing music with passion). The days of Del and Jim Gellatly were great cos thoose guys cared but the new show is just token filler for sunday night. It could be a million times better.[/quote']

Give the guy a chance. He can only play the CDs that people send him after all. You mention the Little Kicks. Well if you'd read the setlist properly you'd have noticed 3 of their songs. They were the session band that night and were present in the studio throughout the show.

Girl Said No were obviously picked to be on the first show because they were playing Free At The Dee the week after, and Northsound had to publicise their on event.

Personally I think the standard of the show itself is better than Del's show and once the guy gets more co-operation from the bands in Aberdeen sending him their stuff and telling him what they're up to we'll probably see a more representative selection of session guests.

If anything I always thought Del's poxy 1 hour was token filler. 3 hours is a much better effort.

Personally I think the standard of the show itself is better than Del's show and once the guy gets more co-operation from the bands in Aberdeen sending him their stuff and telling him what they're up to we'll probably see a more representative selection of session guests.

More co-operation from bands? If soundian's gig-guide post is anything to go by, it seems a lot of bands in Aberdeen think they're above this kind of promotion? (laziness or attitude?)

Seems to me like Northsound are basically inviting bands to sign up to this, potentially getting pretty great publicity out to a larger / different audience. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

I think this type of show has been desperately missed and to start criticising before it's even found it's feet is pathetic. (obviously not aimed at the poster I quoted)

It's no surprise Girl Said No were featured I was told having witnessed a very dull set by them at Free at the Dee that they have a contact in Northsound and didnt even have to go through the selection process other bands did. Someone should point out calling a band Girl Said No if you're a pop band seems kinda silly as associating your pop band with a phrase people associate with rape hardly seems the cleverest thing to do. It made me laugh as I had seen them before playing with the Grim Northern Social on a rare visit to Aberdeen, interestingly enough at the same time they were selling out the Lemon Tree they brought about 5 people to Drummonds, makes me think a bit about them being the 'biggest' band in Aberdeen, but that was hardly the DJs fault. I did enjoy the show, I thought the Little Kicks were excellent, I've never seen them but I think I'll try and catch them next time they play and I really liked what Eric Euan were doing :) Anyway sorry about the GSN aside, my point was I really enjoyed the show, it can only be a good thing for a local scene,

Ram :rockon:

Seriously though the only thing I get from this show is a major misunderstanding of the local scene and what it stands for. They pick safe pub bands like GSN and do a deathly interview with some guitar player who claims that they are the greatest band ever and talks with about as much passion as an Interview with the Newcastle centre-forward pairing. I mean great they sold tickets faster than Geri Halliwell or something and drone on and on about it... but does anyone in any decent Aberdeen band eg. Little Kicks' date=' Copy Halo, Stroszek, Dedalus really care about all this nonesense. Im sure if I was in a band I'd avoid being involved with this show like the plauge.

To summarize I hate this show because they msitake 'indie' (oh lets end the show on The Seahorses' etc) with alternative (i.e. real bands on the scene playing music with passion). The days of Del and Jim Gellatly were great cos thoose guys cared but the new show is just token filler for sunday night. It could be a million times better.[/quote']

what a crock of shit. it's never enough for some people is it? dedalus don't have anything to promote just now but i'm sure they'd happily be involved in this show. what's with mentioning the seahorses? he didn't even play them and it has nothing to do with anything you stupid stupid person. it looks to me like the man played a decent mixed bag of stuff, i don't think there's ever any chance of hearing a northsound dj play aphex twin or anything alternative in that sense so lets keep in the real world of commercial radio and congratulate the fact that they're trying. even jim gellatly and del wouldn't have played certain things and they always played a mixture of the hipster bands and the more pub rock bands.

get of your fucking high horse and do something instead of complaining all the time.

edit: also i would hope that the dj goes out and investigates the scene for himself and buys some local band cd's which are already out. i'm sure there's a number of bands out there who don't check this website very often or who don't have cd's left to post to northsound but which might be available in one up etc. a show like this should be the heart of a music scene and the dj should be seen to be involved too. i'm sure as it goes on the guy will be more and more visible(if he's not already, i don't know the guy. just making a point) but to critizise so early is foolish in the extreme.

Girl Said No seem to be getting a bit up their own arse' date=' they are slagging off some of the other bands at Free at the Dee on their website. Not very professional.[/quote']

"Getting"? Haha!! They've been up there own arses for fucking ages! And it wouldn't be so bad, except that I've unfortunately seen them three times (once as Long Firm and again as The Longfirm) and each time they actually got progressively WORSE!

A mate of mine somehow got added to their mailing list about a year ago, and he sent me a couple of their newsletters... absolutely (unintentionally) hilarious! I remember one saying they came something like 5th out of 6 in a Glasgow "battle of the bands" some time last year, and they tried to make that sound like a fucking achievement! And the WAY they did it... priceless. Just priceless.

I can't believe I've deleted it, it was brilliant :(

Seriously, sign up for their mailing list, much laughter to be had. I'm away to do it just now in fact.

"Getting"? Haha!! They've been up there own arses for fucking ages! And it wouldn't be so bad' date=' except that I've unfortunately seen them three times (once as Long Firm and again as The Longfirm) and each time they actually got progressively WORSE!

A mate of mine somehow got added to their mailing list about a year ago, and he sent me a couple of their newsletters... absolutely (unintentionally) hilarious! I remember one saying they came something like 5th out of 6 in a Glasgow "battle of the bands" some time last year, and they tried to make that sound like a fucking achievement! And the WAY they did it... priceless. Just priceless.

I can't believe I've deleted it, it was brilliant :(

Seriously, sign up for their mailing list, much laughter to be had. I'm away to do it just now in fact.[/quote']

The forum on their website is hilarious and its pretty obvious most of it was written by the band.

Cheers

Stuart

northsound show

To be honest, i think the show can only be a good thing and we enjoyed taking part on Sunday.

Going on Northsound1 or 2 means a band can gain a bit of extra exposure locally and why not!Id like to let as many people as possible hear us!

We have a upcoming lemon tree gig and a new ep to promote plus we had the show taped and itll be a good thing to have for promo use as I think the songs went well ( despite us being very hungover and nervous at going out live)!.Its definitely worth doing and at the end of the day, its a bit of fun! Why take everything so seriously, yes its quite an indie show and no there wont be any Aphex Twin B-Side Remix tracks played but why not go on have a chat, play some songs and have a bit of fun!Its already worth it for us judging by two members of this site who hadnt heard us now saying theyll check us out plus the website being mentioned heaps means our mailing list is up!

Its hard for me to say how the show could improve as I was in there and couldnt hear it as a punter but there are probably improvements to be made but like someone said, give him a break, its only his second show!

Alan is a genuinely sound guy. I met him a year ago when we were on Northsound 2 for a interview. He was a sound engineer but he said he was pushing them for a show like what hes got now so good on him! I think his shows local coverage as well as Ians gig guide will definitely benefit Aberdeen's ever improving band scene.

Bands should put their demos in to him as he will play them!

Steven

Hi,

it'd be good if you didn't assume that we, or other people, hold the same opinion as you.

thanks.

natural order has been resolved

just checked in and good to see that the 'alternative' crowd are back on the Girl Said No attack.

I take it as a compliment that we mean that much to so many that we always seem to crop up in conversation with certain folk on this site.

If promoting yourself the best you can is 'head up our own arses' then so be it.

we are not an indie/alternative band as you would call it, never cared to be and are definitely more on the commercial poppier side which is what we like and fortunately enough for us we have a good following who like what we do.

it is sad to see the same old folk slagging off other local bands who are trying to make it. we try to get to as many gigs as we can and support the local scene as there are some brilliant bands out there playing there own style of music and attracting there own following and making inroads within the industry.

maybe you should keep in mind that any band that starts doing well from the city attracts more interest to other bands within the scene

anyway please keep slagging away as it helps people remember that we exist while we head out to Spain.

take it easy

Ok yesterdays post perhaps suceeded in winding-up a lot of Aberdeen music which is great but it was not totally serious. However I meant every work I said about Girl Said No. There's no need for such bland, insipid, unimaginative music anywhere. If they were in Blunt's position rathar than a local band everyone would be attacking you guys! Surely commercial music can be more creative and exciting than this while appealing to a large core audience?

I take it as a compliment that we mean that much to so many.

You guys don't mean shit to me but I was in the car with my parents at the time. They really like you guys.

If promoting yourself the best you can is 'head up our own arses' then so be it.

Best wishes there's no way in the world I would begrudge you guys sucsess but that interview (On northsound) was one of the most painful things I've ever had to sit through. You just talked about how great you are. You were talking like footballers! Find something interesting and relevant to say about the world if you want to appeal to a wider audience. I honestly feel if you done this you guys would look better. Im not attacking cos im 'Alternative' but I don't like the attitude. Ok as I stated above I don't like your bands music but I think that you should take these criticisms on board in terms of your image. It might even help you get a record deal in this country.

Best wishes there's no way in the world I would begrudge you guys sucsess but that interview (On northsound) was one of the most painful things I've ever had to sit through. You just talked about how great you are. You were talking like footballers! Find something interesting and relevant to say about the world if you want to appeal to a wider audience. I honestly feel if you done this you guys would look better. Im not attacking cos im 'Alternative' but I don't like the attitude. Ok as I stated above I don't like your bands music but I think that you should take these criticisms on board in terms of your image. It might even help you get a record deal in this country.

Nice!

unfortunately we enjoy our music and dont have any urge to express our views on the world on anyone. music is about enjoyement and with regards having something meaningful to say - thats very noble and i am sure if it was you you would be saving the world! But we just went onto Northsound played some tunes and had a laugh obviously a lot of it went over yours and others heads but i wont be losing sleep over it.

regards criticism, why would we take it on board?

we play the music we write and enjoy and act as normal, maybe we dont take it as serious as yourself and worry about the social implications and how it would upset someone like yourself!

we are lucky enough to have a large following who enjoy the music, buy the cds, come to gigs etc

just a wee thing relating to another point on the forum regarding promotion the reason we get on the radio ( northsound 5 times/radio scotland 2 times/radio clyde 4 times) to do sessions/have interviews which upset the natives is because we are constantly promoting the band and trying to get ourselves noticed. you seem to think we have it easier than everyone else but we work just as hard as the rest of the top bands in aberdeen to get ourselves noticed hence why we do se well.

take it easy