aberdeen-music

"promotion"

Cloud

Your dedication to slagging Girl Said No off is tremendous and i have warned the band to watch out for a stalker with a grudge!!

i can only guess as to how we upset you - maybe slept with your girlfriend/laughed at you in gym class/stole your lunch money or maybe you really like the band and feel guilty about it

Anyway keep it up as it always brings a smile' date=' but i suppose thats what jesters do!![/quote']

All i did was make a comment with a direct quote from your website. You did not steal the show at Free at the Dee, if you had done then if nothing else there would have beenstreams of praise for you on this website *looks around* nope there isnt any...

Your promotion may open the right doors occasionally but in general it puts off the general populace, surely what you're aiming to do is to make yourself as potentially popular as possible, do you think slagging off the other bands at Free at the Dee does that ? Maybe they were crap but for God's sake a little professionalism.

I'm all for Aberdeen bands breaking out, I just prefer them to do it on talent alone and without the need to lie to their fans and press,and if you're going to do it at least make it convincing.

"Stayover, 3 times Grammy nominated million selling pop/punk band play the Moorings", which we're as likely to hear as you guys stealing the show in front of 60,000 people, especially when some of us were actually there and no-one else commented,well not positively !

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All i did was make a comment with a direct quote from your website. You did not steal the show at Free at the Dee' date=' if you had done then if nothing else there would have beenstreams of praise for you on this website *looks around* nope there isnt any...

Your promotion may open the right doors occasionally but in general it puts off the general populace, surely what you're aiming to do is to make yourself as potentially popular as possible, do you think slagging off the other bands at Free at the Dee does that ? Maybe they were crap but for God's sake a little professionalism.

I'm all for Aberdeen bands breaking out, I just prefer them to do it on talent alone and without the need to lie to their fans and press,and if you're going to do it at least make it convincing.

"Stayover, 3 times Grammy nominated million selling pop/punk band play the Moorings", which we're as likely to hear as you guys stealing the show in front of 60,000 people, especially when some of us were actually there and no-one else commented,well not positively !

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

haha knew you couldnt resist!

regards comments made on our website regards free at the dee what i said was that i felt that there were a lot of unknown glaswegian acts on the bill when it would have been more appropriate to have more local bands, like Stayover for example, on the line up and also highlighted how good the local acts that did play were - the storm petrels, estrella and Amber. t. as free at the dee is so large it would be great if more of the quality local bands were in the line up. that is not slagging of bands that is talking up the Aberdeen music scene. for examples of slagging off check back on you last posts in this and other streams that is slagging off!!

as for stealing the show, i thought we did, but music is a matter of opinions

regards popularity we do ok and are progressing in our own way and maybe our fanbase doesnt encompass people that use this site as the majority of people at our gigs dont go to see other bands in drummonds/drakes etc.

Unfortunately it seems you dont get us and what we do, a lot of stuff is very much tongue in cheek and the majority of our people get that but it is obviously lost on you.

Heres a thought, maybe you should chill out - all this bitterness is not good for you

the Storm Petrels are from Arbroath and when they started did a lot of their gigging and stuff through in Aberdeen. I thought Estrella were aberdeen based as they had won the Aberdeen Battle of the Bands thing to get on the line up and i also seen them play a couple of heats in a drummonds battle of the bands...

could be wrong but still feel that there should have been a bigger representation of local bands on the line up. As a forum it certainly raised our profile, obviously a lot of negative comments on the forum but if you are up there you expect to be shot down!

on the positivesideit definitely boosted cd sales and increased greatly the amount of hits on our website as well as being able to make a few decent contacts within the industry.

Heres a thought' date=' maybe you should chill out - all this bitterness is not good for you[/quote']

Not sure why you think I'm bitter, I'm more than happy with where any band I'm involved with is going/has gone. I am actually very chilled and as I said I just prefer bands to be honest and open etc about what they achieve/do. I can't believe you can really think you got a better reception than Rachel Stevens etc ? That would be how you'd steal the show from them, get a better reception. I'm not sure I've ever seen any of the bands I work with steal a show they've supported at a big gig purely because the people are there to see the headlining band.

Cheers

Stuart

its nice to be nice

Not sure why you think I'm bitter' date=' I'm more than happy with where any band I'm involved with is going/has gone. I am actually very chilled and as I said I just prefer bands to be honest and open etc about what they achieve/do. I can't believe you can really think you got a better reception than Rachel Stevens etc ? That would be how you'd steal the show from them, get a better reception. I'm not sure I've ever seen any of the bands I work with steal a show they've supported at a big gig purely because the people are there to see the headlining band.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

i think we just look at things differently. As a band and as people we are not self depreciating, are confident and believe in what we do so why would we talk ourselves down just to pander to people that have no interest in the band. Would people like yourself like us more if we didnt think we were good or stayed quiet about our achievements?

i doubt it and it is just not in our nature to be negative about what we do. Personally, i would expect anyone in a band to think their band was better than everyone elses as if you dont have that belief then you are missing the point a bit.

As with yourself i say what i think and dont expect everyone to share my opinion on what we do, what i do is talk honestly on how things are going from the bands perspective as that is how i see things.

good luck to your various groups etc i would be well happy seeing any band do well and making a big break. i will also watch closely to learn how to get noticed without any self publicity/talking up etc

Have a NICE day

i think we just look at things differently. As a band and as people we are not self depreciating' date=' are confident and believe in what we do so why would we talk ourselves down just to pander to people that have no interest in the band. Would people like yourself like us more if we didnt think we were good or stayed quiet about our achievements?

i doubt it and it is just not in our nature to be negative about what we do. Personally, i would expect anyone in a band to think their band was better than everyone elses as if you dont have that belief then you are missing the point a bit.

As with yourself i say what i think and dont expect everyone to share my opinion on what we do, what i do is talk honestly on how things are going from the bands perspective as that is how i see things.

good luck to your various groups etc i would be well happy seeing any band do well and making a big break. i will also watch closely to learn how to get noticed without any self publicity/talking up etc

Have a NICE day[/quote']

You're missing the point somewhat. Would I like you a lot more if you were a bit more honest in the way you run things and were a bit more realistic in your statements ? Yes I would. I know for a fact that the arrogance you've shown in the past and the way you put things across has put people off you as a band. I like pop music, I manage a pop band, I think your stuff is somewhat unoriginal but its adequately put together and put out there which is more than can be said for a lot of Aberdeen bands, however its the attitude that puts me off more than anything else, that and the lack of professionalism.

There's nothing wrong with talking yourself up, I can hardly be accused of not doing that to my acts HOWEVER what I mention is always 100% accurate, I would never state something like they stole the show at a 60,000 capacity just because they played it when its obviously not true. There's nothing wrong with believing you're in a good band and believing in yourself, but you to state you're categorically better than people that say 90% of the crowd came to see seems somewhat ridiculous, if that was the case then surely you're EP sales would be up around 3000 now if say 5% of the crowd liked what you do, 3-5% is usually what you can possibly get from a support slot in CD sales from my experience, sometimes as much as 10%, so you should be on 3000 presales if my figures are correct, your website puts the sales at 500, surely if the crowd believed you stole the show the figures would be higher (btw 500 presales is very respectable, well done on that).

I dont have an axe to grind, I just think that a bit of honesty in your achievements etc would make people respect you a lot more.

Cheers

Stuart

You're missing the point somewhat. Would I like you a lot more if you were a bit more honest in the way you run things and were a bit more realistic in your statements ? Yes I would. I know for a fact that the arrogance you've shown in the past and the way you put things across has put people off you as a band. I like pop music' date=' I manage a pop band, I think your stuff is somewhat unoriginal but its adequately put together and put out there which is more than can be said for a lot of Aberdeen bands, however its the attitude that puts me off more than anything else, that and the lack of professionalism.

There's nothing wrong with talking yourself up, I can hardly be accused of not doing that to my acts HOWEVER what I mention is always 100% accurate, I would never state something like they stole the show at a 60,000 capacity just because they played it when its obviously not true. There's nothing wrong with believing you're in a good band and believing in yourself, but you to state you're categorically better than people that say 90% of the crowd came to see seems somewhat ridiculous, if that was the case then surely you're EP sales would be up around 3000 now if say 5% of the crowd liked what you do, 3-5% is usually what you can possibly get from a support slot in CD sales from my experience, sometimes as much as 10%, so you should be on 3000 presales if my figures are correct, your website puts the sales at 500, surely if the crowd believed you stole the show the figures would be higher (btw 500 presales is very respectable, well done on that).

I dont have an axe to grind, I just think that a bit of honesty in your achievements etc would make people respect you a lot more.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

cd sales are going pretty good, closer the 850 mark now but probably missed an oppurtunity by not getting them in the shops on time .. but live and learn!

regards saying we stole the show as far as we think we had a great gig and thats how we remember it. will everyone agree...obviously not. ask 20 people there who stole the show for them and you will probably get a few different answers. my personal opinion was that The Storm Petrels, Us, Amber and Estrella were the best on show that day. do i expect everyone to agree? no

anyway this is becoming a competition on who gets the last word on the best way to move a band forward. probably best to say do what is most natural for you and go with your instincts. sometimes i may be right sometimes wrong but at least i will be happy i have done the best i can.

Again, good luck to all you and all your acts for the future... i am sure you wish us the same!!

Guest DustyDeviada
We've had our video played on Mtv2!!! I played in america before I hit the age of 19 at the biggest music festival in the world! WOW! We've had records sell out down in Rough Trade in London! WOW! We've had prime airplay on Radio One! *ooooh I wet myself*

That's all very well, but have you "Stolen the show" at Free at the Dee? ;)

You seem to have read a fantastic ammount between the lines of my last post' date=' read it again but this time just the words written and nothing more. There was nothing in your post for me to take personally and I am probably looking at the moorings history from a somewhat different perspective than you.....1971-1990

I also feel that the decline in popularity of the moorings over the years was more complex than the content of the juke box. My parents used to be horrified at the thought of me going to "such a place" and I was perfectly happy to let them believe it was some dangerous seedy dive full of whores and drug dealers even though that was far from the truth, although some nights the smell of exotic cigarettes was quite strong.

I feel you also see me as some kind of defender of covers bands which is about as far from the truth as you could get.

Ive still not got round to tasting the delights of your deluxe rum and imported beers....I will get round to it. :D

G...[/quote']

Yeah we still keep up the pretence that we're a dangerous seedy dive - it keeps all the scum, away. I imagine the youth of today are still happy to keep their parents horrified. The only thing that's changed is that we absolutely do not permit the smoking of exotic cigarettes... unless you're referring to the fags the eastern european seamen smoke.

Last night we had some lone random slip through the net and he started trying to tap drinks of a table of customers. I asked him to leave nicely but he said "are you going to make me like?"

So I told him that he was in the red light district, that there were no police down here, and once we started beating the shit out of him there'd be nobody to come to his rescue, and nobody would hear his screams.

He legged it LMAO!

Yes you should come down and see us some time. You'll find that things haven't changed that much... We just rolled the clock back a bit.

Attitude is something I think you guys have wrong. For example... it gets you no respect simply listing your achievments... the band I'm in have achieved rather a lot and I don't go around posting about it every 5 seconds.... WOW We've had our video played on Mtv2!!! I played in america before I hit the age of 19 at the biggest music festival in the world! WOW! We've had records sell out down in Rough Trade in London! WOW! We've had prime airplay on Radio One! *ooooh I wet myself* At the end of the day we're still here in aberdeen like you... having not "made it" and having not "taken over the world"*

It doesn't get you anymore respect... and basically seeing yourself through rose tinted glasses then writing the slurry that seeps through your eyeballs doesn't either. Plenty other Aberdeen acts have achieved more than you and don't swagger about chanting about it.

What you guys have achieved is great but I think most people's problems with you stem from the fact that you're making fools of yourselves by talking yourselves up.... surely if you were that great other people would do the talking up for you?

*Thankyou NME

just have to agree to disagree i dont see anything wrong with talking up your band and would not hold it against anyone to say what they have achieved and when i hear about a band doing well from aberdeen i think it is a great thing.

as i always say the more bands that are doing well the better it is for everyone. for some reason i get the impression that no one believes we work hard at what we do and that is the only annoying thing for me.

regards yourselves more power to you and much respect to you guys for what you have done. i know when i started out in bands it was bands that were out making a name for themselves that motivated me and guys like yourself should be talking yourselves up as you would most likely be an inspiration to people who are trying to make it as they can see that you can make an impact from aberdeen by sticking to your principles and doing what you do.

forums like this i thought would be about sharing information and contacts that you have found in places like radio, venues etc rather than a place to slag people off for getting stuff done... but maybe thats just wishfull thinking

all the best

This thread has been ridiculously fascinating, don't you all love me for starting it? :)

Anyhoo - from what I understand of "how it works" elsewhere, if you don't make yourself out to be the best thing ever, you'll end up being ignored. Aberdeen is ridiculously strange like this - a lot of people simply don't like success here, and in some respects, failing repeatedly is often rewarded and success is often slagged off.

Why?

This thread has been ridiculously fascinating' date=' don't you all love me for starting it? :)

Anyhoo - from what I understand of "how it works" elsewhere, if you don't make yourself out to be the best thing ever, you'll end up being ignored. Aberdeen is ridiculously strange like this - a lot of people simply don't like success here, and in some respects, failing repeatedly is often rewarded and success is often slagged off.

Why?[/quote']

dont know mate Ive just had about 4 pages of abuse for enjoying being in my band!!

This thread has been ridiculously fascinating' date=' don't you all love me for starting it? :)

Why?[/quote']

The point is to be confident but to have respect for the rest of the people on the scene as well. There is professionalism too, you can say that you believe in your music without putting down other acts.

People dont resent success at all, as is pointed out, look at the Little Kicks - people like them, people dont like the attitude that goes with many of the acts. Girl Said No suffer from the fact that they have a tendency to exagerate instead of reporting the facts.

Cheers

Stuart

the wa is over...or is it

The point is to be confident but to have respect for the rest of the people on the scene as well. There is professionalism too' date=' you can say that you believe in your music without putting down other acts.

People dont resent success at all, as is pointed out, look at the Little Kicks - people like them, people dont like the attitude that goes with many of the acts. Girl Said No suffer from the fact that they have a tendency to exagerate instead of reporting the facts.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

sorry 5 pages of slagging now

i dont see when i have been putting down other bands, the only band that seems to be getting put down is Girl Said No. Look back through the threads and i have done nothing but compliment other bands within Aberdeen.

the majority of comments are simply because people on this site dont like our music or get what we do and thus resent us for trying to be succesfull, whereas we do what we do and have nothing but support and admiration for others in the scene who are doing well.

in fact if nothing else, apart from the attacks on GSN, from this thread people looking in will see that there is a lot of positive things happening within the scene and may encourage them to push on.

regards exagerating we say things how we see them and try to present them on the website in a light hearted way. the same with our radio interview a lot said was tongue in cheek but obviously the irony was lost on most. i presume joky comments like 'there are 3 number 1's and 3 number 2 singles on the cd' are what have caused the commotion that has seen the attack on not one but 2 threads over the last few days.

anyway as i have said all the way through everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i have mine. i dont expect everyone to agree with me so i cant see how others would expect me to apologise or back down to suit their opinions.

as someone once said recently regarding proffesionalism someone once said something about belief without putting down others ( see top ) it may be time to practice what you preach

later

sorry 5 pages of slagging now

i dont see when i have been putting down other bands' date=' the only band that seems to be getting put down is Girl Said No. Look back through the threads and i have done nothing but compliment other bands within Aberdeen.

the majority of comments are simply because people on this site dont like our music or get what we do and thus resent us for trying to be succesfull, whereas we do what we do and have nothing but support and admiration for others in the scene who are doing well.

in fact if nothing else, apart from the attacks on GSN, from this thread people looking in will see that there is a lot of positive things happening within the scene and may encourage them to push on.

regards exagerating we say things how we see them and try to present them on the website in a light hearted way. the same with our radio interview a lot said was tongue in cheek but obviously the irony was lost on most. i presume joky comments like 'there are 3 number 1's and 3 number 2 singles on the cd' are what have caused the commotion that has seen the attack on not one but 2 threads over the last few days.

anyway as i have said all the way through everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i have mine. i dont expect everyone to agree with me so i cant see how others would expect me to apologise or back down to suit their opinions.

as someone once said recently regarding proffesionalism someone once said something about belief without putting down others ( see top ) it may be time to practice what you preach

later[/quote']

OK first of all, you're not exactly complimenting the bands from Glasgow in your site, they may not be very good, thats your opinion and is usually fine to mention your personal opinion in a thread on a forum etc (unless you end up in court), but to mention it on your website is not exactly respectfull or professional. A band presenting something on a website is very different imo from someone from a band mentioning their thoughts on a forum.

I'm not putting you down as a band playing music - I'm not overly keen on what you do, but as you said music is subjective, I'm sure you're not a fan of a lot of the bands I like (sometimes I think no-one else is :p), I've already congratulated you on your presales, you have achieved some good things, but I also think that the way you talk about other acts etc on your website shows a distinct lack of professionalism. You may not think I'm professional and thats your opinion of me, and its the same as mine of you, but I know from people who have worked with GSN professionally that the attitude shown on the site mirrors the attitude shown by the band which is a shame.

Maybe a lot of your comments were tongue in cheek, but then maybe its time to get the point that that is lost on a lot of people and that you might find yourself more popular if you didnt do it.

Cheers

Stuart

anyway as i have said all the way through everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i have mine.

Yes everyone is entitled to an opinion but you are missing the point.....

It would be better if it were a non band member that thought Girl said no were the greatest thing since sliced loaf....and claims that you stole the show and that there are x number of hits on your cd should also be left to third parties....and if no one else appears to be saying it, then I know what thats telling me.

Im sure your band is great, just try and resist the urge to keep telling everyone how great you are.

G...

GSN deserve all the slagging they get! That thing about people from this website coming onto your website to slag you off is certainly not true in my case. I've never been interested enough in your band to check your website. You seem to over-estimate the importance of your band. Maybe there is a lot of people who like your band but are you going to be important to anybody? I very much doubt it. Don't you have a hot female lead singer? Shouldn't she do more of the promotion. You seem to be one one big ego trip which a lot of people have picked up on it.

OK first of all' date=' you're not exactly complimenting the bands from Glasgow in your site, they may not be very good, thats your opinion and is usually fine to mention your personal opinion in a thread on a forum etc (unless you end up in court), but to mention it on your website is not exactly respectfull or professional. A band presenting something on a website is very different imo from someone from a band mentioning their thoughts on a forum.

I'm not putting you down as a band playing music - I'm not overly keen on what you do, but as you said music is subjective, I'm sure you're not a fan of a lot of the bands I like (sometimes I think no-one else is :p), I've already congratulated you on your presales, you have achieved some good things, but I also think that the way you talk about other acts etc on your website shows a distinct lack of professionalism. You may not think I'm professional and thats your opinion of me, and its the same as mine of you, but I know from people who have worked with GSN professionally that the attitude shown on the site mirrors the attitude shown by the band which is a shame.

Maybe a lot of your comments were tongue in cheek, but then maybe its time to get the point that that is lost on a lot of people and that you might find yourself more popular if you didnt do it.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

our website is about girl said no and their opinions so why would they not match what is said in a forum?

Ill say it again on the forum for those reading who have missed the start of this thread - i feel that free at the dee would have been better if it featured more local acts rather than unknown glaswegian pop acts... no great shakes and still dont see how that has become so offensive. i am would think that a lot of people would agree with me on that.. though probably not on this thread!!

our website is about girl said no and their opinions so why would they not match what is said in a forum?

Ill say it again on the forum for those reading who have missed the start of this thread - i feel that free at the dee would have been better if it featured more local acts rather than unknown glaswegian pop acts... no great shakes and still dont see how that has become so offensive. i am would think that a lot of people would agree with me on that.. though probably not on this thread!!

Except thats not what you said:

"As one of the few local acts an and in some ways the flagship band for the north east GSN hit the stage after one of the many unknown cheesy Glaswegian Hip Hop/Girl Band/Boy Band who filled between the main starts of the event. Should there have been more local acts as opposed to the likes of Streetside(who?) and 3 Style (WHo?), probably but at the end of the day it was still a great event.

GSN played one of the longest sets of the day with a five song set as opposed to the standard three songs. All the songs were from the new CD and went down a storm...as did the GSN beachballs which were fired into the crowd during 'Blowing Away'. 'Heavy stereo' closed the set and with a cracking drum intro from The King (thats Stuart King) which had the crowd bouncing all the way through to the big solo finish - GSN stole the show!!."

"Eventually though she got there, GSn went on stage, Stole the show "

That is edited.

Good luck on the deal with the major Indie label etc, maybe things'll be better when you have a press office checking what you say.

Cheers

Stuart

Wouldn't My Mind's Weapon be more deserving of that accolade? Given the national press' date=' touring etc? I thought Girl Said No were a pub covers band. I was evidentally wrong![/quote']

Well I assume its based alongside the fact that GSN think they were the flagship act at FaTD which is possible. TBH I'd say that the Little Kicks are probably achieving more than MMw, they've just finished a tour of their own, have a Lemon Tree gig coming up and are receiving Radio 1 play. MMw did get press etc but they also paid for the promotion costs and the trick is to get someone elde to pay for it ;)

There are a number of acts in Aberdeen at the moment doing well, MMw, the Little Kicks, Jo, Girl Said No, and a few others etc, all of these acts have been off touring this year, all have received national press etc and all are reaching outside of Aberdeen to bigger audiences. Aberdeen is doing well at the moment,

Cheers

Stuart

oh repent ye sinner!

Except thats not what you said:

"As one of the few local acts an and in some ways the flagship band for the north east GSN hit the stage after one of the many unknown cheesy Glaswegian Hip Hop/Girl Band/Boy Band who filled between the main starts of the event. Should there have been more local acts as opposed to the likes of Streetside(who?) and 3 Style (WHo?)' date=' probably but at the end of the day it was still a great event.

GSN played one of the longest sets of the day with a five song set as opposed to the standard three songs. All the songs were from the new CD and went down a storm...as did the GSN beachballs which were fired into the crowd during 'Blowing Away'. 'Heavy stereo' closed the set and with a cracking drum intro from The King (thats Stuart King) which had the crowd bouncing all the way through to the big solo finish - GSN stole the show!!."

"Eventually though she got there, GSn went on stage, Stole the show "

That is edited.

Good luck on the deal with the major Indie label etc, maybe things'll be better when you have a press office checking what you say.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Sorry, I honestly dont see any problem with that!!

yes slagged off unknown glaswegian pop acts and said should have been more local acts which is our opinion (which i am sure is shared)

regards flagship for north east in that we were one of the only recognised (for better or worse) local bands on the bill

obviously I said GSN stole the show which in the context of what was written i dont think it is exactly claiming we are the saviours of world music , i really cant see why that is getting you and others so upset.

at last harmony

There are a number of acts in Aberdeen at the moment doing well' date=' MMw, the Little Kicks, Jo, Girl Said No, and a few others etc, all of these acts have been off touring this year, all have received national press etc and all are reaching outside of Aberdeen to bigger audiences. Aberdeen is doing well at the moment,

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

at last something we agree on! as i have said throughout all the slaggings over the last couple of days there is a real movement happening in aberdeen with so many bands doing well and also the fact that there is so much diversity in the scene, thus if you dont like one there will always be another quality band around that you can follow.

it is a really positive time and the fact that there are so many good bands obviously lends itself to the debate of who is better than who, which in fact is not relevant as each band has its own sound/identity and thus not really comparable on music terms

so many comments so little time

GSN deserve all the slagging they get! That thing about people from this website coming onto your website to slag you off is certainly not true in my case. I've never been interested enough in your band to check your website. You seem to over-estimate the importance of your band. Maybe there is a lot of people who like your band but are you going to be important to anybody? I very much doubt it. Don't you have a hot female lead singer? Shouldn't she do more of the promotion. You seem to be one one big ego trip which a lot of people have picked up on it.

what a well structured and interesting point you have made there. i think you said that a couple of days ago to kick this whole debate off did you not so well done on sticking to your guns.

sorry to be fair you have progressed .. slightly.. you can now attempt nasty little personal comments as well. well done and obviously your fine and valid points will be taken on board with all the good intentions that they were made with!