aberdeen-music

The Pogues + Dropkick Murphys

kirkt

The Pogues are set for their now customary Christmas reunion. The original line-up for the Irish band will reconvene this December in the UK for an eight date tour. A classic line-up featuring Philip Chevron, Darryl Hunt, Spider Stacy, Andrew Ranken, Terry Woods, James Fearnley and frontman Shane MacGowan will perform with special guests the Dropkick Murphys on all shows:

Monday 12 December - Cardiff Indoor Arena

Tuesday 13 December - Glasgow Academy

Wednesday 14 December - Glasgow Academy

Friday 16 December - Newcastle Arena

Saturday 17 December - Manchester MEN Arena

Sunday 18 December - Birmingham NIA

Tuesday 20 December - Brixton Academy

Wednesday 21 December - Brixton Academy

Can't fookin wait! :D :D

I remember seeing The Pogues at Fusion/Ritzy/Whatever it's called the night Jock Stein died. There was a strange atmosphere with everybody happy that Scotland had qualified but uncertain about Jock's fate. People were genuinely crying in the street.

Just to make you feel old - it was the 20th Anniversary of Jock Stein's death last Saturday.

Don't go to this gig if like me you love the Pogues music but can't stand religious bigotry - You'll get it in spades at this gig. It happened last year from the off when Spider Stacey came on in a Celtic top and made a few comments. It went downhill quickly from there - I felt compelled to hurl a pint at them while a thousand people cheerd and looked on approvingly. I thought me and my cousin were going to get a hiding. Someone said "what the fuck do you expect from a Pogues gig in Glasgow?" and I thought "I know now. And I winnae be back to see one again!"

Go and see Shane McGowan at the Lemon Tree next month instead - better atmosphere and no religious tripe will spout from Shane's mouth. I enjoyed last yar's solo performance (well, with the Popes) better than last years pogues Christams show.

Dropkick Murphys arenae even in the same league. It's the poor imitation vs the original and best, I'm afraid!