aberdeen-music

A nation supporting the losers

Hardcore Mel

why is it that with every reality tv game show that is shown, the loser always benefits? two of the pop idol runner ups are at number 1 this week, the fame academy runner up lemar got a brit, big brother loser jade goody has made hundreds of thousands from not doing anything differently to before, more than the prize money kate lawler was awarded, gareth gates has had equal chart success to will young, the list goes on. winning just doesn't mean anything anymore, as long as you've shown your face on the telly.

No Id say the opposite. More and more people who are talented are getting much more recognition. The critics and all that malarky are giving apprectiation to the real talent and blasting the reality shit that goes about. Ok lemar got a brit but it was only urban most urban talents suck :p so that doesnt mean a difference. Darkness picekd up best British Group and Best British Album. Ok I dont like their stuff but at least they are a honest hard working band who worked their way to the top instead of some stupid pop band like westlife etc. No one is really paying attention to the singles chart that much either mainly the album charts which is mostly dominated by real artists.

Guest The Voyeur

Britain loves the underdog, the dark horse, the outsider. Those have all the odds against them and still manage to succeed. Its probably a bit more romantic than rallying behind the winner.

This has nothing to do with music but the snooker player Jimmy White is the perfect example of this, a flawed genius that is always the bridesmaid. He is nowhere near as successful as Steve Davis or Stephen Hendry, yet Jimmy White is one of the most popular sporting celebrities in the country.

My theory is that a lot of the winners won because they were more talented and genuine (relatively speaking obv.) than the runners up, so were voted for by the public. But because they were more genuine, they were less willing to plough through the vicious cesspit of press attention.

The runners up were usually desperate wannabes who were quite willing to do whatever it took to get a spread in Heat.

Davie Sneddon, Alex Parks, Will Young etc all hate the celebrity side of it, so are in the press less often.

I always thought it was the non-wannabes that made these shows. Remember Anna the singing nun from BB? BB1 was good because it was more of a social experiment as it was supposed to be , now it's like a televised audition for talentless try-hards. Big Brother this year will be a disaster as they're going solely on open auditions, and are seemingly just picking interesting (i.e. most attention seeking) people straight from the queues. At least with video submissions they could always get at least one real person.

The reason we see more of the losers is they will happily do anything the press want. Celebrity has nothing whatsoever to do with talent, other than an ability to jump through hoops.

I don't give a fuck either.

Never watched big brother, never watched pop idol, fame academy or that shite jungle thing, think Jordan is a pig, can't abide close minded, one genre critics. If you need a shite TV show to get on then you need therapy or a life.

Originally posted by Hardcore Mel:

i'm not a big reality tv fan either, it's just always puzzled me why the losers from these things seem to get more attention than the winners. that's all the discussion is about, not whether there's any actual talent involved.

No talent required to be a 'celeb'. And winning really has nothing to do with it either, once your face has been on telly, it's what you do afterward that counts. Everything is set up by the PR agencies and the press. Look at all this guff about Peter Andre and 'Katie'. She wants to change her image as she knows she getting a bit old to be falling out of clubs flashing her bits, he wants to be famous again, so what better way to help both of them out than to have a 'romance' which will keep them both in the papers for weeks. Very useful, and entirely set up by their PR people. And his record company planned to re-release Mysterious Girl way before he even appeared on the programme. They've even got Victoria Newton and Wanker Moyles fighting over whose idea it was, thus creating all the publicity they need. It's all about who's willing to play the game the way the PR people want.

Guest Neubeatz

I clicked this thinking it was a reflection on being a supporter of our national football team, what do I find?

A discussion about "Square Celebrities",

What kind of loser does that make me!!!???!!!