aberdeen-music

ASVA - ex Burning Witch/Mr Bungle at The Tunnels tonight!!

just helping Donny out here by posting this...End of Everything have had to pull out of tonights show but as luck may have it epic american doom metallers ASVA are able and willing to step in and play instead! they played Stereo in glasgow last night...and they crushed!!

here's a bit of info on them...The Tunnels wont know whats hit them!!

'As heavy music pedigrees go, Asva's is hard to top. The band's growing list of contributors includes veterans of dirge-metal titans Earth as well as rock experimentalists Mr. Bungle, Secret Chiefs 3, and the Master Musicians of Bukkake, and that's only scratching the surface of their resums. (Geographically they're spread along the West Coast).

Then again, all-star bands are a dime a dozen in this era of underground avant-gardists, and Asva aren't just some ad hoc vanity project. Core members G. Stuart Dahlquist and B.R.A.D. Mowen, on bass and drums, respectively, have been playing together for nearly a decade, going back to their days in the fearsome cult-creators Burning Witch. They've called the remaining Asva members--who on this tour include guitarists John Schuller, Dan LaRochelle, and Trey Spruance; organist Troy Swanson; and vocalist Jessika Kenney--to flesh out their gaping, skeletal song structures, and so far, their casting has been impeccable.

Asva's music is not your run-of-the-mill doom metal, with Spruance's Morricone-style guitar twang, Swanson's woozy organ, and Kenney's wordless vocals adding a ghostly Old West feel to the sludge-and-trudge foundation, an unexpected mix that works. Not that anyone was expecting rehashed Black Sabbath riffs from Dahlquist and Mowen, whose old bandmate, guitarist Stephen O'Malley, went on to cofound Khanate and Sunn O)))--two acts that have helped drag doom metal into the realm of pure sound. Consider Asva the more cinematic counterpart to Khanate's agonizing, claustrophobic aesthetic. And remember to bring earplugs to the show: Just because they're "cinematic" doesn't mean that their sheer heft is movie-theater appropriate.

DOORS 8PM

...call me a traditionalist' date=' but playing three notes really loud for fortyfive minutes does not a great gig make. Maybe I just didn't get it.....[/quote']

made a great gig for me :)

i get the point but i think it was much more than just 3 loud notes, it was a physical and mental experience and there was riffage there. only problem was the riffs were stretched out over 5 minutes, but it sounded awesome.

i doubt i'll ever see a band blow up a pint just through the power of their bass ever again. anyone will have to admit that is cool.

made a great gig for me :)

i get the point but i think it was much more than just 3 loud notes' date=' it was a physical and mental experience and there was riffage there. only problem was the riffs were stretched out over 5 minutes, but it sounded awesome.

i doubt i'll ever see a band blow up a pint just through the power of their bass ever again. anyone will have to admit that is cool.[/quote']

That was pretty cool, I dunno, I was always just waiting for them to break into some awesomely heavy riff. I'm still glad I went, they just didn't do much for me.

That was pretty cool' date=' I dunno, I was always just waiting for them to break into some awesomely heavy riff. I'm still glad I went, they just didn't do much for me.[/quote']

yeah I thought at first, "this sounds cool" and after a few minutes fair enough, I was expecting them to break into something really good but it never went anywere and 15 minutes later they were still doing the same thing at which point i decided "I've had enough of this" and went.

yeah I thought at first' date=' "this sounds cool" and after a few minutes fair enough, I was expecting them to break into something really good but it never went anywere and 15 minutes later they were still doing the same thing at which point i decided "I've had enough of this" and went.[/quote']

thing is, it was going somewhere, you just didnt have the patience to find out, like dave said, that wasnt 45 minutes of the same thing....

outstanding set, fucking loved every minute of that.well done donny, totally saved the night.