aberdeen-music

Perhaps the biggest band out of Aberdeen:

Steve Temple

...were apb. Does anyone remember them, or has anyone discovered them since their early 80s heyday? It's unlikely, since their records are unavailable, save a copy of their "Something to believe in" album being sold for 350.19 on Amazon Marketplace. Listening to the samples available there, I can tell Radio 4 stole their whole idea from them. I can be certain of this, as a former member recently met Radio 4, who said they were big fans of apb, and couldn't believe they were in the presence of said member. Their drummer is a friend of the popTart family, and I hear many tales from their period of success, and of their enduring popularity in America

I vaguely remeber seeing folk things in the Crescent Hotel, but must've missed the louder bands, being so much younger than you (arf!!!!) :D

George, APB's drummer, was at art school the year below me. I seem to remember him doing large New York cityscapes after they'd toured over there.

They were Ellon loons, methinks?

Yeah Loveless became...

Pablo , I saw them at The Triple Kirks and Lemon Tree.

Ian Slater the bass player looks a bit like Spike Milligan mwwaaaa ha ha ha and was the manager and in house engineer at Drummonds and consistently gave one of my bands (the mighty HUMAN Generator ) an excellent sound - we played there over 20 times around 50 years ago.

Pablo released an ace CD called The story of Love and Hate a couple of moons ago.

Much respect to Your Doctor, and his dad. What did he play?

APB fans in America have tried to get their records re-released, and there has also been an attempt to get bands who are fans of them to do a tribute CD. It was Iain Slater who met Radio 4, and he also bumped into two members of Fun Lovin' Criminals, who are also big fans, and they said they would do "Shoot You Down" for it. That may not come to anything, tho

So do you agree that they are Aberdeen's most successful band? I suggested that to my dad (who works with the drummer George, the family friend in question) and he suggested a band called The Palace. I suggested Hedgehog Pie, and he laughed

Much respect to Your Doctor' date=' and his dad. What did he play?

APB fans in America have tried to get their records re-released, and there has also been an attempt to get bands who are fans of them to do a tribute CD. It was Iain Slater who met Radio 4, and he also bumped into two members of Fun Lovin' Criminals, who are also big fans, and they said they would do "Shoot You Down" for it. That may not come to anything, tho

So do you agree that they are Aberdeen's most successful band? I suggested that to my dad (who works with the drummer George, the family friend in question) and he suggested a band called The Palace. I suggested Hedgehog Pie, and he laughed[/quote']

I think your dad probably said Pallas. However I still think the Shamen would be the most successful, with Billy Bremner and Annie Lennox the solo equivalents.

For Aberdeen's least beautiful band, come and see Mickel Mass at the Tunnels on Sunday, supporting United Bible Studies. You'll also get Aberdeen's most past-it mid-life crisis band (Kitchen Cynics) thrown in free!

On a purely 'number of releases' basis, Chris Cowie would have to be Aberdeen's most prolific musician, with over 150 records out internationally, and his music licensed on possibly many hundreds more of compilations and mix cd's. My favourite story of his was when as a publicity stunt for a forthcoming mix cd his label were releasing, he hired a helicopter to take a set of decks, dj, and some journos to the top of ben nevis to record 'the highest mix cd ever'.

I think your dad probably said Pallas. However I still think the Shamen would be the most successful' date=' with Billy Bremner and Annie Lennox the solo equivalents.

[/quote']

He almost certainly did. Shame on me for not realising it, especially since I've heard of said band

To save myself further embarrassment, I'll ask if the Shamen are the same band that released "Ebeneezer Goode" before I make presumptions

yes it certainly is the same shamen, i think (and correct me if i'm wrong) they were called alone again or before the shamen but by the time they hit the big time in the early 90's only colin angus was left from the original band and they had long since relocated to london.

geneva were good, they were an aberdeen band were they not?