aberdeen-music

Leeds Festival....

medichi

What I saw:

No Comply - Pretty god female fromted punk. Liked 'em.

All American Rejects - Booooooring

Biffy Clyro - Wind blew the sound about, but they were pretty ace.

Capdown - Ska Wars was a festival highlight, and they were damn good. They played lotsa stuff I didn't know, and finished with a STORMING Cousin Cleatus

The Dwarves - Moderately entertaining

Eighteen Visions - Not as bad as I thought they may be. Still overhyped pish, but the new songs made a bit more sense live.

Rise Against - AWESOME. Band of the day. Screamed my lungs out and moshed silly. Liked 'em loads.

Anti-flag - Saw about 2 songs (SURE I've seen 'em before, dunno where). They were OK, and most of the crowd loved 'em, but I got a bit bored....

Hatebreed - Came on late, went "Chugga Chugga Chug" "LETS DO THIS OLDSCHOOL" "SIDE TO SIDE" "CIRCLE PIT!" and were pretty tedious...

Foo Fighters - Were OK. Amazing when a band can hold the attention of 40,000. Played the hits. Everyone happy.

I saw (and rated):

The Freaks Union: 9/10 (plus i got my name mentioned on stage twice!)

The Adventures of Loki: 9/10 (a real pleasant suprise)

TurboNegro: 8/10

Alkaline Trio: 7/10

NOFX: 9/10

Iggy and the Stooges: 8/10

Incubus: 5/10

Marilyn Manson: 8/10

Iron Maiden: 9/10

Goldie Lookin Chain: 5/10

Blood Brothers: 8/10

Dropkick Murphys: 8/10 (anyone see my face on the big screen singin along?)

The Coral: 8/10

DJ Format: 9/10

65 Days of Static: 8/10

Pixies: 9/10

From Autumn to Ashes: 7/10 (bass sounded shit though)

All American Rejects 4/10

The Explosion: 7/10

The 747s: 8/10

Juliette Lewis and the Licks: 7/10

Capdown: 7/10 (my friend Tom was the first person to climb up the middle of the tent and jump into everyone, crazy bastard)

The Dwarves: 8/10

Rise Against: 7/10 (were better in Glasgow)

Anti Flag: 9/10

Hatebreed: 9/10

Bad Religion: 9/10

so lots of bands i was really impressed with. i also saw bits of my chemical romance, fightstar, we are scientists and some other band on the radio 1 stage but i didnt stay to watch the whole set cos they didnt interest me. overall a great festival and lots of crazy adventures were had.

Freaks Union: Solid punk, huge following.

This Girl: Not as good as i thought they'd be, left after 2 songs.

My Chemical Romance: Entertaining - but short set, not as powerful as their CD's, still pretty good though.

Turbonegro: Would have been a far better opener, such an amazing party rock band. Banging tunes. I got an erection being the highlight.

Alkaline Trio: Rare, played a fair number of ace songs / singles. Gotthe crowd going.

FFAF: One of my favourite bands of the weekend, much better than last year, brilliant set, amazing main stage sound.

NOFX: Another band of the weekend contender, best banter of the weekend, catchy-as-fuck.

Incubus: Let down of the weekend, clearly treated it as a warm up/practice. Bastards, Played no good songs.

Marlyn manson: Another sack of shite, rubbing your balls balls and wearing skirts ain't controversy. missed 65 days of static for his 'amazing stage show' CRAP

Maiden: Pretty good to watch/hear, but very samey, only played from first 4 albums and didn't play maddnes.

Yourcodenameis:milo: Tight music, good tunes, good sound, funky timing.

Blood brothers: Can't remember much of them at all, too screamy and samey for me, sat outside.

Dead 60's: PISH, every song was the same, generic and boring.

Death From above: See above, but a bit more individual with the bass/drum combo, bad sound for a big stage.

Graham Coxon: Surprisingly good, really catchy tunes and perfect for the main stage.

Fightstar: went to bottle charlie, couldn't get close. Crap, boring, crap, uninspiring and crap.

Lemon Jelly bingo: Didn't win, shit.

QOTSA: Drug enduced brilliance. Although their new direction is a bit shit. Played a few classics, overall entertaining.

The killers: Didn't realise how many songs/anthems these guys had, fairly got the crowd singing.

Ladytron: Bit of a novelty, couldn't destinguish between songs or which gender the members were.

Youth Movie soundtrack strategies: AMAZING.

Autumn to ashes: Crap

No Comply : too samey and hardcore now.

All American Rejects : another lead singer hits hard drugs. fell asleep during 'em

Biffy:AMAZING set, had all the scottish folk oot, sing-a-long galore, they loved it as much as we did.

Million Dead: Not my cup of tea, had the crowd singing along, a hit with the rest of the tent.

Capdown: This is how it's done, brilliant set, SKA WARS was probably best song of the festival. Amazing show of UK tallent.

Dwarves : Strange, very strange. Naked guitarist... catchy songs though.

Dinosaur JR Such a let down, don't cut the mustard live, did play 'Just like Heaven' though.

Be your own petSound avarage on cd, but amazing to watch live. Ritalin would be a bad thing for 'em, bangin' fun.

Hot Hot Heat Only cought the end... boring

Arcade fire most i danced all weekend, so many catchy and dancible songs, brilliant live band.

Kings of leon Can't believe they get paid to write 30 identical songs.. could have honestly killed myself by the end of their set. Got a good place for...

Foos FUCKING AMAZING. Played so many older and amazing songs, up in arms and for all the cows being highlights. All the hits included, sound wasn't 100% but the singing was amazing. Unmisable.

Festival Loathes: Big Sunglasses, Tall People, Afros, Riot Polis,

Festival Loves: Dancing, freedom, 24/7 drinking, fire, no cares.

Fucking loved every minute of the weekend......

Foos,Arcade Fire,Funeral for a Friend,Be your own pet,Alkaline Trio,Biffy Clyro,This Girl and Youth movie soundtrack were my fav bands of the weekend.

Did anyone else see Youth Movie Soundtrack?they were on the same time as the pixies in the comedy tent.They were so good.

Manson and Incubus was the biggest let downs of the weekend.

Highlight:Riots on the last night Where hundreds of people looted the carling vans.Sitting on the hill with a nice cool free beer at six in the morning watching the riot police being bottled back was a fitting way of ending the weekend.Riot police got what was coming to them.

Anyone experience their friendly selves?

yeah i like incubus but they were boring as fuck and didnt play any of their classics (no songs from science). security in general were twats, tried to evict me on saturday night and then pushed me with their shields on the sunday. they got what was coming to them!

Well firstly, what with trying to find a place in a muddy campsite in the pitch dark (at about 11pm), we accidentally camped in the middle of a large circle of tents. I'm sure they loved us. :s Turns out that they were all from Hull and knew a guy up in Aberdeen. And somehow my brain told me that there is a guy from Hull that posts here... same person?

Anyway, I managed to catch:

My Chemical Romance: Entertaining stuff, good enthusiastic set. Made me curious as to their other material.

Turbonegro: Great fun, perfect festival band. Went to great pains to let the crowd know that they knew where exactly they were. "You could join Leeds United..."

Iggy and the Stooges: A little bland, but he seemed to be enjoying himself. Indecent trousers.

Incubus: Didn't mean to see them. Wouldn't have lost any sleep if I hadn't.

Marilyn Manson: The man just has the air of someone who has done it all before, too many times, and doesn't care anymore. His lack of enthusiasm wasn't noticed by the part of the crowd I was in, who formed a jolly circle pit and happily beat themselves up.

Iron Maiden: I left after Run to the Hills. Not my thing, but I could tell that it was a great show.

Goldie' Lookin' Chain: Caught the end of Your Mother Has A Penis. Gigantic crowd for such a novelty band.

Graham Coxon: Meh.

Queens of the Stoneage: Astounding performance by a wrecked Josh Homme. Mesmerising drummer. Couldn't concentrate due to the CONSTANT stream of people pushing past me. Grr.

The Killers: Very surprising. Amazing performance. When a band plays a new song, the crowd normally gets a breather and stops bouncing. But it was *that good* that the crowd around me went as mental as if it was Mr Brightside they were playing.

Pixies: Got down to the front for it. Good performance and they seemed to be enjoying themselves.

All American Rejects: Not bad. Not great.

Kings of Leon: Not that compelling. They were one of my favourite bands two years ago- on Sunday I wandered off during their set.

Foo Fighters: A highlight. Still put on a great show after all these years. Was surprised and delighted that they played The One.

The Subways: Went down well. Thought they sounded a little ska.

Nine Black Alps: Good. Bit samey.

Hot Hot Heat: Great live. Were I a bit more of a fan it would have been a great gig. As it was I wasn't that compelled.

Arcade Fire: Great, wonderful, amazing, brilliant, etc etc

Mystery Jets: Heard them from the queue from the cash machine. Sounded great.

Forward Russia!: Didn't stay. Bland music.

Patrick Monahan: Glad I caught him. Pretty funny, even though he used the standard stand-up topics. Played it safe.

Renegade Burlesque: Why can NOBODY do burlesque properly in this country? Grr. Would have helped if the girls could actually dance.

Hugh Lennon- Hyptnotist: Hilarious. Still skeptical though.

Marcus Brigstock: Exactly my sense of humour. Terrific.

Lemon Jelly Bingo: Didn't win, but had fun trying.

Kitty Flanagan: Amusing.

Rhys Darby: The man makes funny noises for a living. Not good.

Ed Byrne: Would have been hilarious had I not been in a bad mood and unable to understand him.

Daniel Packyard: American that made a terrible start but recovered well, and ended up crowdsurfing and dropping almost into my lap.

Busy weekend. Saw the beginning of the riots on the last night and almost got run over by a skip moving at speed down the hill from the Orange campsite. Went and slept when the stupider festival goers started pushing the poles over.

Well firstly' date=' what with trying to find a place in a muddy campsite in the pitch dark (at about 11pm), we accidentally camped in the middle of a large circle of tents. I'm sure they loved us. :s Turns out that they were all from Hull and knew a guy up in Aberdeen. And somehow my brain told me that there is a guy from Hull that posts here... same person?

.[/quote']

Aye that would have been me haha. Small world. You was on yellow then? Poor you.

oh right, all punky lookin? It was prob spud and garry from the flatline. unless there is someone else from hull that lives in aberdeen. i liked orange. i wouldnt say it was peaceful. the worst riots seemed to be on the orange near the hill. i won a dancing contest on orange :)

Cider tent was burnt to the ground, Beer hut was smashed in. A van was set on fire (stupid) all the tables / bins from around the cider tent and carnival was burnt, gas cylinders were being blown up, Four massive vans were looted of all the beer in the world. Riot police were asses but there was no need to smash up all the other stuff.

yea the riots were mad as fuck! i was in yellow camp and there was a huge fire on one of those poles. that was ace!

so how many people actually watched million dead? they were ACE! if you watched - i was the girl stood on the metal pole - i had the best view there! and i went to meet the band and frank turner was a like 'o were you the girl stood up- i wondered how you were up there' and chatted away to me and was ace!

now i cannot be bothered to make a huge list so i'll do my top 10....

1. pixies (fuckin ruled i screamed alomng with like every word)

2. million dead

3. nofx (funny as fuck i love those guys)

4. ffaf ( they wera actually awesome)

5. rise against ( not as good as when i saw em on there tour tho)

6. bloc party ( they do rule people - but the singer is a miserable fuck!)

7. alkaline trio (were fun)

8. anti-flag (i just love shouting stuff like - turncoat, killer, lier, theif...)

9. incubus ( a bit disapointed by the sound and the songs thay played)

10 . who have i forgotten? lets put senses fail.

meh. there are so many.

Awesome, awesome weekend. Saw some absolutely amazing bands:

1. Pixies - Obviously best band of the weekend. Gigantic as the encore basically sealed the deal, and when they fucked it up it was good to see them bieng light hearted about it and not pissing off.

2. Raveonettes - Fucking great. Storming set...played everything you (I?) could possibly want.

3. QOTSA - Honestly not the biggest fan but they blew me away. Josh was wasted but didnt hit a bum note once, singing or on guitar. Little Sister and Regular John were highlights.

4. Futureheads - Immense energy, just ripped through the songs. Wish I'd been nearer the front.

5. Biffy Clyro - Just cos I havent seen them in ages. New songs rocked although the set seemed a bit too short.

Also saw ycni:m, hot hot heat, the Stooges, Blood Brothers, Alkaline Trio, forward russia, Clor, sons and daughters (also very good) and heard/saw/caught little bits of Adam Green, Echo and the Bunnymen, Roots Manuva, Editors, Arctic Monkeys...

I was in Guest which was pretty cool, spoke to/hung out with a few cool people and generally had a very good drunken time. Bring on next year.