aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Skateboarder carpark fall death

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only hope it'll stop people from skating up there.

people have been sk8ing up there for a long time (since it was built ? 1990?)

I am supprised we got this far without a terrible thing like this happening.

sk8ing in the deen won't be the same for a while to come, poor lad. what a real shame.

Does anyone have a more up-to-date news link?

the most up to date thing i read was in this morning's P&J - front page and onto page 7. I was quite impressed that they had an almost objective piece about skating at the car park, including references to skateboard scotland and the knowhere guide. they didn't demonise it like lots of other reports have.

Guest tv tanned

I know the reporter who wrote the piece, she's not the type to go for the demonising approach.

I wonder if this tragedy highlights the need for a quality skate facility in Aberdeen?

I think its fucking idiotic that people skate up there and I'm suprised something like this hasn't happened before.

I can only hope it'll stop people from skating up there.

have you actually ever been up at the car park?

it's not a dangerous place to be, infact it's quite safe because it is usually very quiet in terms of car traffic when skaters are there, usually in the evenings. it's not idiotic that people skate up there at all.

the dangerous part is that on the top level of the car park there is a unusually wide wall that is easy to climb on, sit on, lie on, skate on - other than the wall itself there is no further obstruction from the edge and hence the drop to the ground below. like you said, you take the risk if you skate on something like that, but to demonise skating in the car park itself seems over the top.

the P&J said there were around 50 people at the car park, though i would guess there was double that at least. also, as i understand it, sean fell from the second level from the top, not the very top.

as for what really happened, there's probably a group of five people or so that really know exactly what happened - i'm sure the police have or will interview them. also, there is CCTV all over the BT car park, which may help them find out more.

he attempted to do a trick that went wrong????

Where u here this from? Both papers i've read this morn says he was trying to get a girl down that was fooling around sayin she was gonna jump.

i know what actually happened from someone who was there but i think we should just leave it at what the papers said.

I think i have a vague idea of the guy. He used to always chat with the Tar lot whenever they were in town.

I just hope that the council don`t jump on this and say that skating should be banned and the likes. It really does highlight the need for a decent skateboarding/bmxing place in Aberdeen.

Anyone with an warehouse as you could do worse than turn it into a 1000 capacity venue and skate/bmx park.

Could have a bar also aswell as a coffee shop and the likes. Some arcade machines too. Nice little hang out for people in a safe enviroment.

I think i have a vague idea of the guy. He used to always chat with the Tar lot whenever they were in town.

I just hope that the council don`t jump on this and say that skating should be banned and the likes. It really does highlight the need for a decent skateboarding/bmxing place in Aberdeen.

Anyone with an warehouse as you could do worse than turn it into a 1000 capacity venue and skate/bmx park.

Could have a bar also aswell as a coffee shop and the likes. Some arcade machines too. Nice little hang out for people in a safe enviroment.

there is already a new skating/bmxing centre with other 'extreme' activities planned

http://www.skateboardscotland.com/news.php?id=050211

ok because the police have officialy named him' date=' i see no harm in posting that his name was sean mcgee, pretty well known guy, he worked in elementz. he attempted to do a trick that went wrong, not suicide like some idiot pointed out in another thread.[/quote']

I was asking what happened, then stated the things I had HEARD, not what I SAID happened. Learn to read.

R.I.P. to Sean, I'm sure I knew him.

there is already a new skating/bmxing centre with other 'extreme' activities planned

http://www.skateboardscotland.com/news.php?id=050211

They've been saying this for years, hopefully something will actually done about it this time. I used to skate until about 7 years ago and they were saying the same thing then - the only thing that ever got done was the stoneywood park which you could only go to a couple of times a week and you had to pay for - the lack of somewhere to go is what eventually stopped me.

Anyway, besides that, RIP to the guy and my thoughts are with his family

Im friends with some of his and we all found out on saturday night when we were out. We were all pretty shocked as you can imagine so its a hard time for them all.

We heard otherwards of " a tragic accident" but im not commenting untill the post mortem has been done.

When i heard about the news i wasn't quite sure who he was, it had no occurred to me that i do know who he was cause he noticed clothing i bought from his work.

he was such a nice guy too.

Yes' date=' strangely enough I have been in that carpark. I didn't realise I said anything against skaters... just skating in that area.... it is a carpark... not a skatepark thus isn't designed to be used by skaters.

When you skate at that level above the ground there is always a chance you will go off the edge, to my recollection the sides aren't caged in (like I pressume it would be if designed for skating).

I was simply pointing out that when you use something outwith the purpose it's designed for things will eventually go wrong. That's why people go flying down those stairs above the St.Nicholas centre breaking their legs at relatively frequent intervals.[/quote']

People hurt themselves skating parks too, every bit as much in my experience.

I really don't want to start any kind of debate but skaters will pretty much always want to skate street, no matter how good a park is. Skaters will use the parks, but some wouldn't, and the majority of those who did would probably continue to skate street.