aberdeen-music

Computer Virus Problem

Camie

I seem to be getting heaps of adware viruses and I can never seem to delete the main virus that creates the pop ups and other viruses. I used Norton AntiVirus but it doesn't seem to eliminate the virus.

Is there any other program I could download to solve this problem?

Grab Microsoft anti-virus (free from Microsoft.com), disable the system restore (Start menu > all programs > acessories > system tools > system restore). restart your computer and hold down F8 before the windows load screen appears, run your anti-spyware programs. Once they are done, restart your computer and run them again, if it is picking up a specific one, go to google type the name of the spyware that has infected your computer and find a work through for it. That's the best i can say to you, without knowing where the spyware has come from.

Oh and get a decent firewall that blocks ads and spyware.

Guest MerryChristmas

A firewall doesnt stop ads or spyware

That would be the job of antivirus and web viewer things

"be sensible" is the only thing i can put, research anything that hasnt been recommended by a friend or family member

"be sensible" is the only thing i can put' date=' research anything that hasnt been recommended by a friend or family member[/quote']

bollocks a decent firewall has options to prevent pop up ads and to disable ads appearing on websites, it also when configured correctly stops connections to the servers and sites that run the spyware and adware.

Antivirus does what it says on the tin prevents viruses NOT spyware and adware.

bollocks a decent firewall has options to prevent pop up ads and to disable ads appearing on websites' date=' it also when configured correctly stops connections to the servers and sites that run the spyware and adware.

Antivirus does what it says on the tin prevents viruses NOT spyware and adware.[/quote']

Firewalls let programs in and out of a computer. Pop ups are are popped up via a web browser. You block the pop ups then you block the web browser and can't view websites. You need a pop up blocker not a firewall.

"be sensible" is the only thing i can put' date=' research anything that hasnt been recommended by a friend or family member[/quote']

Incorrect.

If you've got spyware on your computer, a correctly configured firewall will prevent the spyware creating out-bound traffic and "calling home", thus rendering it useless.

In this eventuality, Windows XP's firewall is no use cos it only gives you a bare minimum amount of protection by only blocking in-bound traffic. You need a 'proper' firewall that blocks in both directions.

Incorrect.

Spyware can still send outbound traffic if it spoofs as a program which has allready been allowed outbound connections in the firewall rules. It can also use covert channels.

If there is spyware on your system it needs to be removed, a firewall doesnt do this.

Incorrect.

Spyware can still send outbound traffic if it spoofs as a program which has allready been allowed outbound connections in the firewall rules. It can also use covert channels.

If there is spyware on your system it needs to be removed' date=' a firewall doesnt do this.[/quote']

Aye, fair enough but I was quite obviously not implying that a firewall would get rid of spyware...just that it could prevent it calling home. However, I bow to your superior wisdom. Didnt know about spoofing or covert channels etc.

My previous point still stands regarding Windows XP's own firewall. Bugger all use where spyware is concerned.

Firewalls let programs in and out of a computer. Pop ups are are popped up via a web browser. You block the pop ups then you block the web browser and can't view websites. You need a pop up blocker not a firewall.

check what i said' date=' i'll highlight the important bits you seemed to have skipped over:

bollocks a decent firewall has options to prevent pop up ads and to disable ads appearing on websites, it also when configured correctly stops connections to the servers and sites that run the spyware and adware.

Antivirus does what it says on the tin prevents viruses NOT spyware and adware.

If you don't believe me on this check here, second last point.

AVG Free - free andtivirus

Firefox - not Internet Explorer

Spybot - Search & Destroy - shit eater

Ad-Aware SE Personal - poo goglber

CCleaner - crap clearner

all this keeps most stuff off my pc and its all free :D

i use exactly the same and have no problems what so ever.

Might be an idea to run a scan on Trend micro its an online scan only for use if you have broadband, works very well tho.

Guest pop-notmyface

you can't do anything against them. i mean, they've been around for at least a decade, but back then, we didn't care because the common users didn't have add-zapper/aware software so we didnt know about them...basically, you're worrying for no reason.