aberdeen-music

Theory or Intuition?

Volta

Quite untrue' date=' Marty Friedman is one of the greatest Guitarists alive and his knowledge of theory is minimal.[/quote']

Absolute bollocks. He has said in interviews that he's not interested in scales, but he is still a very technical guitarist who has a virtuoso knowledge of theory. He still knows a lot about individual scales but he prefers to think of the whole fretboard as one scale (that's how he describes it anyway).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolute bollocks. He has said in interviews that he's not interested in scales' date=' but he is still a very technical guitarist who has a virtuoso knowledge of theory. He still knows a lot about individual scales but he prefers to think of the whole fretboard as one scale (that's how he describes it anyway).[/quote']

I heard otherwise, but maybe I'm misinformed. But Mark Knopfler anyone?

Andy

Guest AmbientMood
Absolute bollocks. He has said in interviews that he's not interested in scales' date=' but he is still a very technical guitarist who has a virtuoso knowledge of theory. He still knows a lot about individual scales but he prefers to think of the whole fretboard as one scale (that's how he describes it anyway).[/quote']

That sounds far more accurate.

That sounds far more accurate.

Even if that were true (which it may well be, maybe I got this one wrong) I still think theory is a luxury. You can get by just fine without it. Also, application of too much theory can sometimes take away from a melody - it alters the way you look at music. For some people, yes, this can improve their approach to music, for others it spoils it. You have to look at it from both angles.

Andy

Even if that were true (which it may well be' date=' maybe I got this one wrong) I still think theory is a luxury. You can get by just fine without it. Also, application of too much theory can sometimes take away from a melody - it alters the way you look at music. For some people, yes, this can improve their approach to music, for others it spoils it. You have to look at it from both angles.

Andy[/quote']

Twaddle..

It's not the theory that takes away from a melody, it's just bad musicianship. It's just as easy for someone with no theory to spoil a song by getting too flashy.

Theory gives you musical knowledge, no more....and if you know some, it will expand the palette you've got to make tunes with. It's up to the individual as to whether you make theory work for you or against you.

That's my thruppence worth.

Twaddle..

It's not the theory that takes away from a melody' date=' it's just bad musicianship. It's just as easy for someone with no theory to spoil a song by getting too flashy.

[/quote']

I did say that it can vary depending on the individual....

Theory gives you musical knowledge' date=' no more....and if you know some, it will expand the palette you've got to make tunes with. It's up to the individual as to whether you make theory work for you or against you.

[/quote']

I agree with this I guess, I just think theory works for some people, not so much for others.

Andy

Guest AmbientMood
Even if that were true (which it may well be' date=' maybe I got this one wrong) I still think theory is a luxury. You can get by just fine without it. Also, application of too much theory can sometimes take away from a melody - it alters the way you look at music. For some people, yes, this can improve their approach to music, for others it spoils it. You have to look at it from both angles.

Andy[/quote']

Back to original thread topic:

However, I have been toying with the idea of learning something about theory, just to continue and improve my overall musical development.

In the context of someone who wants to improve musically you are seriously suggesting they can 'get by' without it. You know nothing of theory, so you are actually in no position to answer.

I suppose one other way of looking at it is that ALL musicians know some theory at some level......

eg: "What chord are you playing?"

"Er...G".......tadaahhh we have knowledge (theory) of the name of the chord!

It depends how far you want to go and whether you want to know 1) where to put your fingers to make a simple chord or 2) how to write you own opus for massed orchestra and choir! (or just somewhere in between)!

From my own personal experience:- I played bass, totally self taught, for fifteen years. (I already could play several instruments so I wasn't completely new to some areas of theory.) I then decided that I would try bass lessons. My teacher helped me breakdown some of my basslines and explained how they were built up and why they worked over certain chords. :ding: The light went on! It all started to make sense. You could hear the cogs starting to slowly grind together after so many years.....Until then my bass lines tended to be built on "best guesses" and ripped off riffs that I knew worked. Now I have the tools to be able to explore more and try out many new ideas that I probably wouldn't have done or it would have just taken me longer to get there.

Aaaaah..... I just wish I'd started lessons so much sooner! Now its time to put my money where my mouth is.........can anyone recommend a good bass tutor that teaches a wide range of styles?

Cheers.