aberdeen-music

Theory or Intuition?

Volta

Topic for the songwriters of the board.

I was just reading an earlier thread about a thoery question and basically, it just goes over my head cause i've never taken the time to explore it. Personally, I've never needed it, I don't get writers block and I always rely on intuition when writing songs. However, I have been toying with the idea of learning something about it, just to continue and improve my overall musical development.

So what's the advantages of learning about some theory? Is it not restricting atall? How does everyone else write with regards to this? Just wandering if anyone had any input.

Cheers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imho its definitely worth learning theory, it's also worth learning about music history.

knowing theory doesnt limit you at all. While its true you can do perfectly good music without understanding any theory i think its important to have a frame of reference for everything you are making and that music history/music theory is always very good for that.

Long story short: learn it, cant hurt.

theory is just a way to understand what you write and play. Theory can help you create new and exciting ideas' date=' such as odd chords and and it will let you understand how they work. It's also good for communicating with other musicians.[/quote']

I agree with most of this, but I think people who aren't musically trained are more adventurous, more likely to explore uncharted territory. I've personally got on just fine using my ear and intuition, and a little luck. Listening to a vasy array of music and a little raw talent can take you just as far - if not further - as learning all your theory. But I agree that it can help you develop a deeper understanding of what you are doing.

Andy

Guest AmbientMood
people who aren't musically trained are more adventurous' date='

[/quote']

By 'musically' I assume you're referring to theory, but the meaning of 'adventurous' is hazy.

By 'musically' I assume you're referring to theory' date=' but the meaning of 'adventurous' is hazy.[/quote']

Yes, and what I was meaning was, people who have learned music theory from the start, tend to stick to what they know, whereas Joe Bloggs who picked everything up by ear will probably be more likely to try things out of the box, if you know what I mean? But yes, you do have a valid point.

Andy

I dont know much theory, but the things i have learned(modes, chords) have provided me with cool things i probably wouldn't have found on my own, but now i know these shapes i have the annoying habit of 'defaulting' to them and becoming stuck...and in those cases i wish i could go back to not knowing anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AmbientMood
people with all the theory tend to be snobby cunts alot of the time.

Much the opposite I find. People with little or no theory knowledge are often the narrow minded fad-lovers - power metal etc.

Guest Gregor Ascension
Much the opposite I find. People with little or no theory knowledge are often the narrow minded fad-lovers - power metal etc.

was that because i didnt like your song? get over yourself. narrow minded i am not, and just because im not some snobby jazz musican who was classicaly trained from the age of 6 and knows what scale works well over an augmented 9 chord, doesnt make me any less musical. how much theory do you know then? how to sample the sound of a dog farting and have it looped in 9/8 timing? :nono: i wouldnt call that music. shut the fuck up you egotistical wanker.

Personally I think theory is important, But last week I got a lesson that theory is nothing with out creativity and passion, I took a friend who I hadnt seen in a long time to a gig he was doing in Glasgow I think the pub was crottiers or something, he was playing for the Mike dean quintet, and I sat in the crowd and and watched while he put on a performance that was quite simply out of this world, after the gig when we were driving home i asked him "How long did you rehearse with this band to get to that level of tightness and expression" He replyed " I havent rehearsed with them at all, I just played everything off the cuff"

He played passeges that degree players could not even comprehend and got all accents spot on, and he doesnt read charts.

Pure Class..

Oh my god' date=' that is how a serving is issued.

Ambient = owned.[/quote']

All of you (ambient mood included) are just continually embarrasing yourselves on these forums by continuing this petty shite. Knock it off and take it to private messages instead of polluting good threads.

I'll remind all of you that flame wars such as these are against the site rules you all agreed to when you joined this forum.

Guest Gregor Ascension
All of you (ambient mood included) are just continually embarrasing yourselves on these forums by continuing this petty shite. Knock it off and take it to private messages instead of polluting good threads.

I'll remind all of you that flame wars such as these are against the site rules you all agreed to when you joined this forum.

agreed, but i think you'll find ambientmood as the root cause of all of these arguments.