aberdeen-music

Ableton Live Users

Guest AmbientMood

I downloaded a copy so I could play with the Nine Inch Nails remix of "Only" http://www.nin.com/access/only/

It's a bit odd, but I can see it's uses. As a Cubase man from way back it makes little sense to me on first impressions, but if I persevere, I can see it as a useful tool in the old arsenal ;) It could do with a lot better export options though :p

agreed badger - I had a delta version of Live2 that came with my soundcard and acquired a copy of 3 and then 4(again to play with the only mixes - I keep putting off doing a full mix based entirely on just the vocal samples and that's it, now I've finished my exams I've now got to redecorate my room!)

my boy trouty just picked up a copy of 5 after having played with 4 for a long time. he's got some skills with this kind of thing as has put together a few really nice remixes already. it's a pretty incredible piece of software and can be used to master some slave stuff like reason which gives incredible potential to what it can do.

/x

Guest Neubeatz

Users of Live 5 are reporting instability and sys crashes when trying to run the app on P3 machines,

P4 seems to be the min spec for this "Mac" style prog

Does it still have no "right click"?

Anyway, some form of analog controller is also said to be useful, for real time mixing,

.........................................;)

Users of Live 5 are reporting instability and sys crashes when trying to run the app on P3 machines' date='

P4 seems to be the min spec for this "Mac" style prog

Does it still have no "right click"?

Anyway, some form of analog controller is also said to be useful, for real time mixing,

.........................................;)[/quote']

Ah, those knobs on my MK-249C might come in hand for something ;)

I'm running Live 5 on an Athlon XP 2400 with no percievable stability problems, so yeah a P3 may be a bit "old hat" for this. I'm assuming this can be "Rewired" - like reason into the likes of reason or cubase maybe? Like I say, only had a quick play with it.

I've only had a mess around, but some friends (grnr germlin and acrnym) get some amazing stuff out of it live. Follow-on actions, beatmatching and controlled fx are damn good - I just bung multitracked samples from cubase into it - it didn't seem to offer that much as a recording environment.

Anyone used melodyne?

I've started trying to use Live properly, got 4.1 a couple of months ago and been using the tutorials provided with the program, which are excellent.

When I played at gavfest as Popcorn Fiend, I used the program for the full performance, synced with Reason for 3 of the songs, with one solely played using Live. I'm still a beginner with it, but the performance capabilities are ace, I fully intend to 'play' it within a band sometime.

I've also used it for recording, obviously not as complex as Cubase, Sonar, etc, but I like it for simple recording as it's so intuitive, and very easy to use.

All in all, it's one hell of a program, I just need to build up a library of samples for using live, both audio and midi. It's also easy as hell for syncing keyboard buttons etc.

In short, I love it.

PS Live 5..0 apparently now has some right-click options, not that it's something I've missed from using version 4.1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone used melodyne?

Saw a great video demonstration of it so I grabbed a demo of it. Wasn't quite as good as I was hoping (didn't get all the key changes etc) maybe needed some tweaking somwhere, I just dived in. Picked up a copy of the full version so may look into it at some point. From the demonstration I saw it certainly looks very useful.

• 8 months later...

Bought Live5 about 9 months ago purely with the intention of putting together sets to play out with on the laptop.

We're running the Mac version, and have to say its never crashed.

Live really needs to be used with external controllers of some sort - its so easy to assign parameters to a controller and it does really bring out the performance aspects of it (check out the Faderfox controllers), been using it with a Mackie Control and works great.

It does take a bit of time to get used to, we've been using it as a Rewire Master to slave Logic to in order to make use of material we already have and to make use of Logics virtual instruments.

The audio and midi editing features are not nearly as good as those in Cubase or Logic but its great for jamming loops together and stretching audio - quite a few folk we know are using Live for DJ sets so its reasonably versatile..

I wouldnt recommend most FADERFOX controllers to anyone whos just getting into this, too much going on..totally pointless and if its midi slightly harder to set up.

For a start Live 4 to 5 is a big change. I exhausted all Ableton had to offer then 5 came out and it changed SO much for what i do It depends what your are doing or what style of music determines whether you need a controller or not. I know i have a few and obviously i started assigning all my keys, faders and knobs to Live but to be honest people just like to confuse themselves and seem more complex than they are or would like to be. I would have literally hundreds of overlays if i didnt minimise controller usage.

And it seems most people arent discovering everything about it either?! maybe im coming from a less play guitar and record enviroment possibly. The thing about Live is that its not really comparable to cubase, FL, octa or anything because its more of a contained studio/instrument. I use cubase sx for sequencers much like i use Fruityloops for its sequencer. Play a show with these? ayeeee.

As i said i dont think most people are really using live to its full potential whatsoever but its great to see people using it.

:)

Check out Reason.....I can use it live (in a primitive way!!) and can get a lot more done without reading a manual than with live. I had a tutorial DVD for live but it doesn't seem very interesting. Reason on the other hand can do a multiude of things. ie. I recent transferred a lot of old 8 track recodings to WAV and am mixing them in Reason in a totally linear way.....its impossible to do bars and beat editing but it makes life very much like working with a real rack of gear (like I'm used to) so is very exciting....load your eight tracks into NNXT samples and set up a Matrix player to play a constant C3 note and split it with the CV splitter into all the different NNXT samplers and get into it!!!! Its like owning the best analogue while still having the slight convenience. Plus..if you did everything to a click and lock it all in time, you can easliy add MIDI....

The only problem is having no Gate....but you can process a Gate offline to your WAV files...cool as fuck though..I'll post up some samples soon