aberdeen-music

...the DRESDEN DOLLS + Lapsus Linguae & Jo MacCafferty Band - One Off Performance...

Ross

THE DRESDEN DOLLS - PLEASE NOTE *NEW DATE*

Date: Monday 22nd August

Tour Support(s):LAPSUS LINGUAE & JO MacCAFFERTY BAND (Special One Off Performance)

Local Support(s): NA

Type Of Music: Indie / Mime / Art / Rock

Biog:From www.dresdendolls.com

"Combine the smoky cellars of a Weimar-era cabaret with the rock n' roll fury of Joan Jett, PJ Harvey and The Violent Femmes and you have a remote idea of what to expect when experiencing The Dresden Dolls.

Ever since taking up arms in mid-2000, the ber-dynamic duo of Amanda Palmer (Piano/Vox) and Brian Viglione (Drums) has been selling out clubs in Boston, New York and beyond. Palmer accompanies her confessional story-songs with a thunderous and shimmering piano style that rests on the shoulders of Jerry Lee Lewis and Nina Simone. Viglione's jazz and hardcore-influenced drumming and creative percussion are the perfect foil, providing in turns a delicate cradle of rhythm and a piercing bed of nails onto which Palmer lays her raw, tragicomic lyrics.

The recent release of their debut album, produced by Martin Bisi (Swans, Sonic Youth), has won the band accolades from both mainstream and underground media, and it appears that the Dolls are poised to transcend cult status and smash all commonly held ideas about what a rock band is supposed to be. Their awe-striking live energy and singular look has earned them opening slots for Beck, the B-52s and Jane's Addiction, a tour with the Legendary Pink Dots, a victory in the 2003 WBCN Rock and Roll Rumble and a quickly growing army of devoted fans from ages 5 to 85.

Ever looking forward, The Dresden Dolls are preparing to record new material with acclaimed local producers Sean Slade and Paul Kolderie (Radiohead, Courtney Love)."

The Dresden Dolls have just toured as specially invited guests of Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails and this will be an incredibly memorable gig.

Doors: 7.00pm

Ages: Over 14s

Price: 11

Tickets from: www.seetickets.com One Up (01224) 642 662, FOPP, Sound & Vision (Elgin) or in person from The Bassment & Moshulu (excluding Booking Fee)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should comment, that this is also the only chance to see the Jo McCafferty Band, tho Jo is doing an instore at One Up on the Monday lunchtime in support of her 'Live at the Moorings' gig. I'm looking forward to it. its been a long time since I've seen Jo with a band, and the DD stuff I've heard sounds superb - very dark and showy.

Cheers

Stuart

So... I read this...

The Dresden Dolls have cancelled their imminent European dates. Kind of.

Amanda Palmer will be playing Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow as solo shows. The rest of the European dates (all festival appearances) are cancelled completely.

Brian Viglione (the other half of the 'Dolls) is not ill, has not left the band, and nothing sinister is going on. He simply does not wish to tour at this time.

From Amanda's blog:

Quote:

Brian doesn't want to go, is going through his own thing, and I am very supportive of him... I am still going to go play the shows we were scheduled to do in Scotland, alone, which is slightly terrifying but should be fun. Emily is coming with me and it's fringe-festival time in Edinburgh, which I've dreamed about going to see I was a Wee Bairn. I'm bracing myself for a flood of emails about Why The Tour Is Cancelled and Are You Ok and Is Brian Ok and general What The Fuck and am deeply considering coming up with some kind of auto-reply to spare myself typing the same email 148 times.