aberdeen-music

8 or 7 string guitars

Chewbacca

that's the fella...what's with the fanned frets? what does that offer?

the bass strings are longer and the treble strings are shorter end to end and this produces a better clearer sound apparently. ive never palyed or heard a guitar with fanned frets so i dont know much about them, apparently they dont feel that different to play though.

these guys make awesome 7 and 8 string guitars but they are hella expensive tho...

http://www.conklinguitars.com/

i have a 7 string ibanez RG7420... they are a lot better than tuning a 6 string down IMO...

ibanez also have budget 7 strings like the RG7321 which is a fixed bridge model, and they only cost like 250 or thereabouts....

8 strings is a bit over the top tho...

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Ibanez RG7620. It is a great guitar, a pain to setup though.

You should be aware that you have an extra strings to stop from ringing while playing the high ones. When I attempt to cross over my arms while doing some tapping part, i can never stop the lower strings from rining at some point. I guess I will have to practice this more. It also isn't specific to 7 strings but as I said, there is an extra one.

In my opinion you should go for the highest quality instrument which you can afford. Do not go for more features (i.e more strings) if you could otherwise get a better guitar for the same price. Unbranded pickups are usually worth avoiding, unless the guitar is otherwise good and the price difference over one with good pickups is enough that you still have money left to buy some DiMarzios, EMGs or Duncan's etc.

Low Tunings are all very well but I guess you might want another guitar for playing non-dropped tuning. I have had absoluetely no ambition to use differnet tunings on guitars since I got my 7 string. Low tunings are also not really what you want for shred of sweep picking.

Point of fanned frets? Notice how bass guitars usaully have bigger frets than regular guitars. Bass instruments are built to a larger scale so the bottom end is more substancial. A Multi Scale guitar (in theory) allows the optimal tone and power from the differnet points in the range of your gutiar.