aberdeen-music

Oi, you lot!

mmw

So, you wanted an Aberdeen band to get off their arse and really go for it? Well have a look at the 5th back page of Kerrang! in between the Offspring Ad and the Weezer ad, or have a look at www.myspace.com/mymindsweapon and see what some people are saying, and where they are...

We're working our asses off, so yeah, help us out a bit, swing by the Lemon Tree tonight, 9PM, we're onstage at 11.10 and see what the 'fuss' is about...If it's not your scene, then please, pass on the details to someone else you think might be interested...

Oh, and the fantastic Eddison are playing too, more reason...

Cheers..

the weapon boys x

I dont know much about the band and my computer speakers arent working, I've just moved here to do the whole student lifetsyle thing, can anyone tell me more about this band, I guess the genre is kinda heavier than I usually like, I'm more grunge/classic rock,, how did they get an ad in Kerrang, did they pay for it or was it financed by a record company?

I'm from Edinburgh and have never heard of them, can anyone share more info, are they signed or are they financing this all themselves?

Ram :rockon:

My Minds Weapon - Demo 2005

Reviewed: 12th August 2005

Take note all young bands THIS is the way to pay homage to those you admire. In the same way that, say, Pennywise took the mould of Bad Religion and made it their own (almost universal use of double-time, socio-political consciousness, big shorts) My Mind's Weapon can be seen to take bits of Eden Maine, Comeback Kid and even a hint of Black Flag in the delivery not vocal similiarities, but sheer balls-out passion and actually bring enough of their own input to make this demo pretty darn impressive.

Even though they've got the techniques peddled by every support band from Devon to Dundee, like the quiet/loud dynamic, fairly pretentious song titles (um...'Lucky Like Kokura' or '959 Goodbyes', anyone?), throat-raping screams and fingerpoint-inducing anthemic choruses, MMW are just blisteringly good at what they do. The breakneck-pace of opener 'Lucky Like Kokura' is pure adrenalised viciousness, characterised by sledgehammer guitars and an impressive vocal range and momentum, is only slightly lost with the superfluous-yet-vaguely-pretty intro to '959 Goodbyes', but 'The Forgotten' turns everything up to a squealing eleven. Just for the record, 'Lucky...' is a live demo that rips the living fuck out of most bands' studio output and is by far and away the most delightfully brilliant song on offer here.

Blending the finest hardcore and punk influences together with a proficiency that would make the most polished of scenesters weep into his bandanna, MMW's fluidity is their most potent, ahem, weapon. Even though the chiaroscuro between dark and light is very pronounced, they handle all changes with skill and manage to colour each song with a distinctive sheen and vision. All the separate elements have a degree of familiarity that suggests that while they might have borrowed the current zeitgeist's buzz, they're imaginative enough to create something new out of it like building a little fort out of Custard Creams. Seriously this is ace!

Ben

www.mymindsweapon.net

mymindsweapon@hotmail.com

Our Rating: 4/5

My Minds Weapon - Demo 2005

Reviewed: 12th August 2005

Take note all young bands THIS is the way to pay homage to those you admire. In the same way that' date=' say, Pennywise took the mould of Bad Religion and made it their own (almost universal use of double-time, socio-political consciousness, big shorts) My Mind's Weapon can be seen to take bits of Eden Maine, Comeback Kid and even a hint of Black Flag in the delivery not vocal similiarities, but sheer balls-out passion and actually bring enough of their own input to make this demo pretty darn impressive.

Even though they've got the techniques peddled by every support band from Devon to Dundee, like the quiet/loud dynamic, fairly pretentious song titles (um...'Lucky Like Kokura' or '959 Goodbyes', anyone?), throat-raping screams and fingerpoint-inducing anthemic choruses, MMW are just blisteringly good at what they do. The breakneck-pace of opener 'Lucky Like Kokura' is pure adrenalised viciousness, characterised by sledgehammer guitars and an impressive vocal range and momentum, is only slightly lost with the superfluous-yet-vaguely-pretty intro to '959 Goodbyes', but 'The Forgotten' turns everything up to a squealing eleven. Just for the record, 'Lucky...' is a live demo that rips the living fuck out of most bands' studio output and is by far and away the most delightfully brilliant song on offer here.

Blending the finest hardcore and punk influences together with a proficiency that would make the most polished of scenesters weep into his bandanna, MMW's fluidity is their most potent, ahem, weapon. Even though the chiaroscuro between dark and light is very pronounced, they handle all changes with skill and manage to colour each song with a distinctive sheen and vision. All the separate elements have a degree of familiarity that suggests that while they might have borrowed the current zeitgeist's buzz, they're imaginative enough to create something new out of it like building a little fort out of Custard Creams. Seriously this is ace!

Ben

[url']www.mymindsweapon.net

mymindsweapon@hotmail.com

Our Rating: 4/5

Probably worth mentioning that this is a review by punktastic and not MMw's lead singer. Though it may as well be... :p

I went to this gig, based on comments on here and the thought that these were the best Aberdeen had to offer, first things first, Eddison had a couple of amazing songs, its just a shame that they seemed to play them over and over. When Eddison write a few new songs slightly differently to the ones they have then they will be an awesome band.

My Minds Weapon, well what can I say, the singer can't sing, the tunes seemed to be cliche after cliche, they seemed to be trying to be archetypical rock stars without the experience. I spoke to someone at the gig and was asking about the tour etc, I'm not trying to be negative about the band, just trying to work out what they're doing that any other band couldnt do. No offense but from what I gathered, you bought yourself onto a tour (promotion costs ??) and pretty much paid for the advert in Kerrang, any band could do that surely.

Please dont get me wrong I'm sure that there are a lot of people that like My Minds Weapon but for my first main encounter with Aberdeen bands then I have to say Eddison were the most impressive, I liked Red Man's Walkings singer tho, and My Minds Weapon were just your archetypical boyish rock band.

I hope that My Minds Weapon do well, but it does seem to me that any band with finances behind them could achieve a similar thing, when we played down south we bought ourselves onto a pretty good tour and it did very well for us publicity wise, so good luck, but sadly we lost so much on the tour the band couldn't afford to record etc and the band ended, so I hope it goes better for you.

Hope I havent offended anyone, these are just one persons opinions.

Ram :rockon: