aberdeen-music

Ska sunday: Sonic Boom Six, Schpleen, Misled Youth, The Upstarts + more

kirkt

Did you really need that 17?

SB6 needed money to travel because that costs money funnily enough.

So do we.

Paul ran the night and I doubt he'd do that.

The only reason I probaly hold a grudge is that they turned up late for sound check and the rest of the night was rushed as a result.

Bands shouldn't care if they get paid period. Its about getting your music heard.

So uh...why did you comment about 'only' getting 17?

As for touring bands - don't you think that they have higher costs to reflect the fact that they've spent more in getting where they are?

Yes I do know that but for a 4 piece. 17 split 4ways leaves you lucky enough for a mcdonalds for your tea lol!

SB6 have came far so good on them' date=' just not on my wishlist.[/quote']

theres touring bands that get less than that. fuckin hell, i've played in leeds twice, first time didnt get paid at all, 2nd time got 15. In an ideal world local bands should get better pay but its all down to the crowds. Also Paul is a promoter for a living. If you think he didnt take some of the door takings himself that night then you are very naive. Not that I'm holding it against him, its what he does. I disagree that bands should pay to play but if people want to see good touring bands in Aberdeen then local bands have to be prepared for less. You can stick to playing all local line-ups and getting 50- 60 a night but the gigs would be boring as fuck. I hate having to pay bands as little as 10 a night sometimes but its a question of who needs the money more and that is always the touring band, having been on tour myself a few times, i know how important every penny you get can be.

Awesome that will be good. Haha I like how you didn't name which band' date=' weee.

smoke like a fish are awesome! I haven't heard of the others so I still look them up. I know so many bands who r good and punk/ska like who have asked me about gigs in aberdeen but i never knew how to get them gigs. maybe I can hook them up with you or something? Hardcore/emo all that bands r alright but we need more ska/punk up here eh.[/quote']

Yeah, my email address is joetown_punk@hotmail.com just forward any band on to me. I'm trying to cut down on gigs and I am really picky with who I put on but if its someone I really like then I'll prob try my best to get em something.

The only crowd was thier to see us.

I was at that gig, certainly not to see you.

At the end of the day the gig was very poorly promoted (I got the date off Punktastic, there was one thread made the day before the gig by Paul) and yes, boohoo you didn't get paid very much. You said yourself it's about getting your band heard and with Sonic Boom Six, I'd be nothing but grateful.

I was at that gig' date=' certainly not to see you.

At the end of the day the gig was very poorly promoted (I got the date off Punktastic, there was one thread made the day before the gig by Paul) and yes, boohoo you didn't get paid very much. You said yourself it's about getting your band heard and with Sonic Boom Six, I'd be nothing but grateful.[/quote']

100% agree. My band supported Howards Alias at kef - we didn't get paid anything whatsoever - but we played with the mighty howards alias - so I got to be a) ehard with them, and b) see them for free :)

god i so love the idea of ska sunday.....maybe we should have a ska sunday like every third sunday or something you know make it a regular thingy!!!

I think its one of my greatest ideas yet I must say. If its a sucess then there will certainly be more of it.

You don't like Sonic Boom Six? I think the UK scene is fucking ace right now(from top of my head): Sonic Boom Six' date=' Freaks Union, No Comply, Fireapple Red, Steel Rules Die, Bosseye, Zombina and the Skeletones, The Dauntless Elite, No Substance, Adequate 7, The Mingers, Capdown, Fletcher, 3 Storeys High, Grown at Home, Captain Everything, The Dead Pets, Four Letter Word, Pilger, Intent, Jets vs Sharks, One Car Pile Up, Homebrew, W.O.R.M, Duckstab, Hi Tech Jet, Annalise, Vanilla Pod, Phinius Gage, Fandangle, The Dangerfields, Eastfield, Tauntra, Swellbellys, Misled Youth, Shatterhand, Send More Paramedics, Shotgun Democracy, LoveJunk, The Hunchbacks...I could go on all day. Anyone who says punk in the UK is poor, isn't paying enough attention.[/quote']

You forgot Quack Factory, Jam Spangle and Nasty Cackstab......

This 'R' 2 Tone at The Lemon Tree

Don't mean/want to hijack this thread but.....

This 'R' 2-Tone

Saturday 3rd September

Tickets 7.50 (5 concessions & Regulars)

Doors Open: 9pm

Show Starts: 10pm

A massive hit on their debut in January, This 'R' 2-Tone are a dedicated nine piece ska band, delivering a high energy, moonstomping show, incorporating the sounds of The Specials, Madness, The Beat and Bad Manners.

These Edinburgh rude boys convey ska at it's very best, pushing the legacy of 2-Tone further with the introduction of lighting, video visuals, and DJs to fuel their vision that will be . . .s k a d a n c e c r a z e !

details

My apologies again....

• 2 weeks later...
Er... not really as they headlined one of our gigs took all our money and were shit to be honest.

The crowd were there for us and no-one else that night and music teacher from my school who is a Jordie agreed they were crud.

What gig was this?

I have no problem if you and your music teacher thought we were shit but the other stuff, can you explain yourself?

I really don't remember 'headlining one of your gigs'. And if we turned up late it was because we have jobs and would have told the promoter. And guess why we need jobs?!

Anyway' date=' sorry about this, Amy, I popped in here to see if those pictures that you took (specially the crazy one of Laila) were still up anywhere.

Do you have a link for it?[/quote']

ay up barney, i think theres pics of it on amys myspace thingy on her blog of july...and there is some on here somewere but i dunno were. ok, that was of no help whatsover was it?

ay up barney' date=' i think theres pics of it on amys myspace thingy on her blog of july...and there is some on here somewere but i dunno were. ok, that was of no help whatsover was it?[/quote']

Ha, yalright matey...

I remember they were on the feedback forum but that obviously gets deleted.

There was an ace one of Laila I used in this beautiful image.

Muppets.jpg

:rockon:

• 1 month later...