aberdeen-music

Iran?

Hog

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iran is a signatory to the NPT treaty, and as such it is perfectly within it's rights to enrich uranium. It had only suspended this activty as an act of good faith during negotiations with Europe and the USA. Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program, it is solely interested in nuclear power, in order to deal with it's own electricty demands.

On the other hand, Israel is not a signatory of the NPT, it has an unregulated plutonium producing nuclear plant, an arsenal of illegal nuclear weapons, a history of invading countries and an ongoing occupation.

Who do you think deserves the sanctions?

Iran is a signatory to the NPT treaty' date=' and as such it is perfectly within it's rights to enrich uranium. It had only suspended this activty as an act of good faith during negotiations with Europe and the USA. Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program, it is solely interested in nuclear power, in order to deal with it's own electricty demands.

On the other hand, Israel is not a signatory of the NPT, it has an unregulated plutonium producing nuclear plant, an arsenal of illegal nuclear weapons, a history of invading countries and an ongoing occupation.

Who do you think deserves the sanctions?[/quote']

What? Sanction Israel? And have Dubya miss out on the millions of Jewish Republican voters in the US....nae bloody likely.

What? Sanction Israel? And have Dubya miss out on the millions of Jewish Republican voters in the US....nae bloody likely.

Considering the majority of Jewish Americans usually vote for the Democratic Party I do not think Bushs policies regarding Israel has anything to do with elections.

Anyway, this is Bushs final term in office, so I do not think he cares too much about gaining millions of voters.

yes but the primary purpose of Israel is to just pwn the middle east for america. thats why america gives them so much in aid.

so i think israel will blow up irans nuclear power plants, because america tell them (on the sly) because the american people wont stand for another (percieved) Iraq style conflict and the american army are already spread thinly enough.

• 2 months later...
yes but the primary purpose of Israel is to just pwn the middle east for america. thats why america gives them so much in aid.

so i think israel will blow up irans nuclear power plants' date=' because america tell them (on the sly) because the american people wont stand for another (percieved) Iraq style conflict and the american army are already spread thinly enough.[/quote']

There will be no need for troops. The US Nuclear Posture Review 2002 dictates that nuclear weapons will be used against a non-WMD state to pre-empt the further proliferation of Nuclear, chemical and biological weapons. A few nuclear strikes against Iran by Israel and the US will be enough for the people of Iran to overthrow their leader and install a more US-friendly one.

• 2 months later...

Pre-empting a nuclear strike with a nuclear strike is just plain stupid.

No-one actually wants to use the things cos they know they'd fuck the world over. Leaders of the world should realise the devastation in Hiroshima, and get rid of all nukes. Instead, the should play this game of "my dick is bigger than yours" with rocket launchers or something. Least that way, we'll have no zombies or birth defects coming from the aftermath of a nuclear strike.

/rant

Iran is a signatory to the NPT treaty' date=' and as such it is perfectly within it's rights to enrich uranium. It had only suspended this activty as an act of good faith during negotiations with Europe and the USA. Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program, it is solely interested in nuclear power, in order to deal with it's own electricty demands.[/quote']

Oh come on, I think you know as well as I know that Iran (and the rest of the Arab world) would love to have a couple of nukes in their hand to threaten Israel with. After some of the nonsense pulled by Iran in the past, would it really be that surprising if their motive is to blackmail the West into isolating Israel? Don't give me "but they wouldn't do that" nonsense, you don't know the motives of the people in charge.

Nuclear weapons designed to ensure that the Arab countries nearby don't fuck with them. Considering that the neighbouring Arab states have a pretty decent history of screwing with Israel, and Israel's desire to simply have a Western, Jewish state - is it any wonder that they've resorted to nuclear technology?

Incidentally, how can nuclear weapons be illegal if they haven't signed up to the NPT?

Who do you think deserves the sanctions?

Whoever isn't friends with the boy who has the biggest dick.

This is all just further proof that the President of Iran is either totally insane' date=' or an Iranian tribute to Borat and we all just don't get the joke.[/quote']

Why is he insane? I agree that Iran should defend itself against Israel and the US/UK. Iran has been named an Axis of Evil country by Bush on September 12th 2001 and for no apparent reason other than developing Natanz Nuclear Reactor. It is quite within it's rights. The US is threatening Iran and flying spying missions inside Iran to identify possible targets for a March 2006 attack. Iran knows it is about to be attacked. Russia have even sold Iran Surface to Air missiles within the last month or so, in preparation for a Western attack.

The preparation for an attack against various Iranian targets by Israel/US, is underway using tactical nuclear weapons. Various military exercises have been conducted, starting in early 2005. In turn, the Iranian Armed Forces have also conducted large scale military maneuvers in the Persian Gulf in December in anticipation of a US sponsored attack.

Since early 2005, there has been intense shuttle diplomacy between Washington, Tel Aviv, Ankara and NATO headquarters in Brussels.

In recent developments, CIA Director Porter Goss on a mission to Ankara, requested Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan "to provide political and logistic support for air strikes against Iranian nuclear and military targets." Goss reportedly asked " for special cooperation from Turkish intelligence to help prepare and monitor the operation." (DDP, 30 December 2005).

In turn, Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has given the green light to the Israeli Armed Forces to launch the attacks by the end of March:

All top Israeli officials have pronounced the end of March, 2006, as the deadline for launching a military assault on Iran.... The end of March date also coincides with the IAEA report to the UN on Iran's nuclear energy program. Israeli policymakers believe that their threats may influence the report, or at least force the kind of ambiguities, which can be exploited by its overseas supporters to promote Security Council sanctions or justify Israeli military action.

The US sponsored military plan has been endorsed by NATO, although it is unclear, at this stage, as to the nature of NATO's involvement in the planned aerial attacks.

Why is he insane?

There's just something about a person who declares the Holocaust to be "a myth" that gives off all the right signals about mental stability and rationality.

"They have created a myth today that they call the massacre of Jews and they consider it a principle above God, religions and the prophets ... If someone were to deny the existence of God... or prophets and religion, they would not bother him.

However, if someone were to deny the myth of the Jews' massacre, all the Zionist mouthpieces and the governments subservient to the Zionists tear their larynxes and scream against the person as much as they can."

So firstly, he's rather testy over the fact that people have an easier time believing in 6 Million corpses than in an invisible wizard in the sky. And secondly, he's pissed over the fact that Israel exists mainly because of said massacre of 6 Million men, women and children and the ensuing exodus from Europe.

I mean, how dare those damn dirty Jews go where their religion tells them to go! That's where Allah tells me we should be! Every living thing in Israel should be put to the sword!

Everyone's reason for being there is directly because of their individual ridiculous religious convictions, and I absolutely fail to see how Israel is illegitimate compared to any of it's neighbours.

There's just something about a person who declares the Holocaust to be "a myth" that gives off all the right signals about mental stability and rationality.

"They have created a myth today that they call the massacre of Jews and they consider it a principle above God' date=' religions and the prophets ... If someone were to deny the existence of God... or prophets and religion, they would not bother him.

However, if someone were to deny the myth of the Jews' massacre, all the Zionist mouthpieces and the governments subservient to the Zionists tear their larynxes and scream against the person as much as they can."

So firstly, he's rather testy over the fact that people have an easier time believing in 6 Million corpses than in an invisible wizard in the sky. And secondly, he's pissed over the fact that Israel exists mainly because of said massacre of 6 Million men, women and children and the ensuing exodus from Europe.

I mean, how dare those damn dirty Jews go where their religion tells them to go! That's where Allah tells me we should be! Every living thing in Israel should be put to the sword!

Everyone's reason for being there is directly because of their individual ridiculous religious convictions, and I absolutely fail to see how Israel is illegitimate compared to any of it's neighbours.[/quote']

The comments made by President Ahmadinejad are merely designed to be inflamatory and pander favour with the hard liners within his own country. That the Holocaust occurred is fact without question. It is evident he is trying to whip up anti-Israel sentiment not only in his own country but in the wider Islamic world. He is testing the water, so to speak, to see if his rallying cry has any noticeable effect. His outrageous comments underscore the obvious bitterness felt in the region over the creation of Israel.

The comments made by President Ahmadinejad are merely designed to be inflamatory and pander favour with the hard liners within his own country. That the Holocaust occurred is fact without question. It is evident he is trying to whip up anti-Israel sentiment not only in his own country but in the wider Islamic world. He is testing the water' date=' so to speak, to see if his rallying cry has any noticeable effect. His outrageous comments underscore the obvious bitterness felt in the region over the creation of Israel.[/quote']

From BBC News:

"The BBC's Frances Harrison in Tehran says that Iran's conservative president seems almost to be relishing the sense of looming confrontation - and that those who had suggested Iran was just testing the waters look set to be disappointed."

He's not "testing the water" and currying favour with the loonies in his country, he's the CHIEF loony at the HEAD of the country. He's an international incident waiting to happen, with two capital Is.

It may just have something to do with their appalling human rights record' date=' the dangerous influence the Ayatollahs hold over the country and the tacit support given to terrorist activities by the government as well, you know.[/quote']

Riiighhht, so Iran are bad but the US is fine although it, in contravention of its own Congress, itself armed and instigated the Contras in Central America against governments it disliked. The Posada case of bringing down a Cuban airliner is even now in the news. US support for terror-groups in Guatemala, Honduras, Chile and other places is hardly a secret. Neither is illegal mining of Nicaraguan harbors. And what about the US support for Saudi Arabia's oppressive, corrupt and tyrannical regime.

Have they? Where did you find that out' date=' then? Did you deliver them yourself, or did Mr. Putin just use your garage as a lock-up for a couple of days while the Ayatollahs got their cash together?[/quote']

Yes, they have, as you'll see in this report by the BBC, entitled Russia confirms Iran missile deal: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4500878.stm

Israel has as much right to exist as any other free and democratic state' date=' and it's continued existence is essential if long-term peace and prosperity in the middle east is ever going to be achieved. If you're agreeing with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's (a known holocaust denier and suspected terrorist) appraisal of the situation then you need your head checked. His opposition to Israel's existence is not borne out of any great love for Palestinian muslims, it comes from his hatred of jews.

Come to that, if Israel is wiped off the face of the earth, what happens to the population of that country, exactly? Do they live under an Islamo-fascist regime such as the one Mahmoud has installed in Iran, or do they carry on living in a country with democratic freedoms and civil rights unheard of in most other Arab countries. Surely you're not advocating what I believe Mahmoud would like to do to them...[/quote']

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was DEMOCRATICALLY elected. But, no I'm not advocating this and have removed my hastily made comment.

Probably due to the fact they've just re-opened a nuclear test facility in Iran that bears no resemblance whatsoever to a conventional power station. No-one's going to nuke Iran' date=' that would be overkill on a grand scale. A couple of well-aimed conventional strikes should do the trick if things even get that far.[/quote']

Firstly, the IAEA concluded in November that Iran had not developed or was developing a Nuclear Weapons capability. Secondly, conventional weapons are useless against these sites. Iran has built heavy defences and underground fortifications over the last couple of years, to defend their nuclear sites against imminent Israeli attack. A new wave of Nuclear weapons have been developed by the US. These are "low yeild" tactical nukes designed to destroy deep targets, recently sold to Israel:

"The earth-penetrating capability of the [nuclear] B61-11 is fairly limited, however. Tests show it penetrates only 20 feet or so into dry earth when dropped from an altitude of 40,000 feet. Even so, by burying itself into the ground before detonation, a much higher proportion of the explosion energy is transferred to ground shock compared to a surface bursts. Any attempt to use it in an urban environment, however, would result in massive civilian casualties. Even at the low end of its 0.3-300 kiloton yield range, the nuclear blast will simply blow out a huge crater of radioactive material, creating a lethal gamma-radiation field over a large area." http://www.fas.org/faspir/2001/v54n1/weapons.htm

Oh, and the US WILL use Nuclear Weapons against Iran. Try Googling "CONPLAN 8022".

Was this before or after much of his brain was destroyed by a massive stroke' date=' rendering him incapable of fulfilling his duties as Israeli PM? I don't know why you're invoking Sharon in this, his time as an influence in middle-east politics is over.[/quote']

It was in December, as I quoted!

It's not going to happen' date=' it's merely posturing. Besides, any party that supports military action against Iran while there's still a job to do in securing the formerly occupied territories will lose heavily in the forthcoming elections.[/quote']

Well, numerous media reports suggest otherwise! I'm not talking about an Invasion here, surgical strikes against Irans defences similar to Israels attack on Iraq's Nuclear Reactor, Osiraq in 1981.

Please do your research before rubbishing my claims, it just makes you look ignorant in front of all the other boys and girls.

Tata!