aberdeen-music

Worst Places to Live in Britain

kirkt

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

London has some good reasons to be the best place in the world to live' date=' a fabulously friendly city full of everything. Plenty of bustle and nightlife.[/quote']

london is the most unfriendly place i've ever lived, its also dirty, polluted and smelly, and far too big for its own good....

aberdeen is pretty much perfect. you can have the city life but its not to far to the countryside.

thers lots to do yet its not to big that you get swollowed up. you can go to the same clubs and see the same people yet there are places to go if you fancy a change

although i am totally loving ayrs weather and its beach right now. even if it looks like you've landed in spain with the amount of folk on the beach

aberdeen is pretty much perfect. you can have the city life but its not to far to the countryside.

thers lots to do yet its not to big that you get swollowed up. you can go to the same clubs and see the same people yet there are places to go if you fancy a change

Spot on.

Mind you delboy if London was that bad 10 million people wouldn't be living there, many of them through choice. How friendly a city is depends entirely on your own personal experience; Aberdeen is considered supposedly frioendly but I don't really think it is. London scores by actually being a collection of small communities: if you visit it nis just an impersonal mass but once you live in an area for a while each little area has a real sense of community I've always found. Its not the place to live if you want a quiet life but it is a fascinating and surprisingly amicable place I've always found.

Spot on.

Mind you delboy if London was that bad 10 million people wouldn't be living there' date=' many of them through choice. How friendly a city is depends entirely on your own personal experience; Aberdeen is considered supposedly frioendly but I don't really think it is. London scores by actually being a collection of small communities: if you visit it nis just an impersonal mass but once you live in an area for a while each little area has a real sense of community I've always found. Its not the place to live if you want a quiet life but it is a fascinating and surprisingly amicable place I've always found.[/quote']

London is great if:

1) you live within walking distance of the City (and therefore walking distance to most of the fun places to go out)

2) you don't have to use the tube on a regular basis

3) you don't end up witnessing gang-related violence in otherwise sleepy pubs

4) you know plenty of people

5) you have shitloads of money

6) it's not mid-30 degrees and incredibly humid every day (like it has been for the last week and a half)

7) you have a cool job

I have 2, 4 and 7 (OK - it's not cool - but I can earn two days Edinburgh wages in half a day and be home by 2pm) on my side. Still like the place, although the Friday/Saturday night options of being either stuck in the city until the first trains at 5.30am or leaving far too early for the last train at midnight are a real pain.

Am increasingly looking forward to moving back to Edinburgh though.

worst place is keith. or elgin.

Keith isn't all that bad. its still quite a friendly place, has quite a good nightlife for the size of town (except the GA, shittiest 'nightclub' i've ever seen). it also has the festival and the show, both of which arn't very exciting but great excuses for a piss-up.

Elgin used to be a shithole but is slowly getting better, i'd say one of the best places to be north of Aberdeen.

In my opinion Kircaldy is a dump, Rothes stinks of dogfood and Portlethen is worse, vile smell of dead animals on a hot day. best thing about Portlethen seems to be Asda.

Aberdeen is literally one of the rudest cities I've ever visited. Everytime I've ever had drinks spilt by strangers in pubs they have never bought me another. People jump queues' date=' let doors drop in your faces and naturally ram trolleys into the back of your legs. Certainly don't expect anyone to move to make space for you when travelling in the opposite direction to you on the pavement - even in large groups they tend to not be keen on shifting as they'd rather you were shunned to the gutter/a doorway[/quote']

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks this...

Agreed.

Asides London it's the only place I know where if you attempt to speak to a stranger they look at you as if you are a complete maniac (though in London it tends to have a more' date=' "how dare you!" edge). The amount of hours I've spent in bus stops being too scared to look anyone in the eye for fear of being branded, "weird" in this city is unreal.

[/quote']

You want to give Carlisle a try - I've never met so many nutters per head of population in my life........... Botchergate on a Saturday night is a warzone. I suppose it may have improved over the last twenty years but I doubt it.