aberdeen-music

Worst Places to Live in Britain

kirkt

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grimsby is a toss-hole. It's not just the grim associations of its name, its the bunch of bams that live there. I lived there one summer back in the day, so can vouch for this.

Stirling is also a pit. I went to uni there and found the place so full of wanna-be Weedgie neds it was mental. Saying that I had a barjob in Raploch at one point, which may have put me off. Bridge of Allan is nice though, if very bourgeois.

Closer to home, surely Peterhead and the broch are the local shitpits? I'm working in Peterhead just now and it's one ugly town.

it has to be Newry

Good call my son. Newry tied with Londonderry for the worst places in Northern Ireland I reckon. Londonderry feels like its trapped in the early 1980's, if you can imagine the shitty, derelict harbour areas of Aberdeen but a whole town of them, that's basically Londonderry. Plus I slipped on ice there as I was walking over the main bridge on New Years on my way up to Donegal about three years ago and nearly tore myself a new arsehole.

Mike

to be honest

anyone who thinks aberdeen's a dump is a total idiot (or not very well travelled)

we're extremely lucky people to live in a place like this

even if it is a bit grey, damp and windy..

it's still better than anywhere in west london(or london in general)/hull/various areas outside glasgow, manchester, birmingham etc.

someone said slough earlier.. i'd go with that. it's a horrible place.

milton keynes?

MK is a strange little place. I know it was, but it just looks it was plonked in the middle of nowhere. It has a horrible feeling to it, like you're in some far away place. Everything's new and has a somewhat false feeling going down. Urgh. Still, I got to see Green Day during my stay...

Guest Main Agent
download the sash, and put it on repeat.

My 31 year old next door neighbour sits in his BeeEmm in his drive playing that shit on repeat so the whole foxing street can hear the heathens anthem,

What a wank!

He puts on a rangers shirt and gets the kids in our street to sing it, and then he gives them money.

I lived in Milton Keynes when I was 12 and I loved it! Cyclepaths and parks everywhere, loads of Sinclair C5s, and Britain's first multiplex opened when I was there and I got to go along to the UK premiere of 'Rocky IV'. There's a big lake that has a Buddhist pagoda in it too.

When Lincoln City played local derbies with Grimsby we had a quaint little chant - "You all smell of fish/you all smell of fish/you all you all you all you all smell of fucking fish" (To the tune of 'Knees Up Mother Brown'). It's funny because it's true.

i think worksop in nottinghamshire deserves a mention for all round shitness...

True story - In my GCSE art exam the guy next to me started painting this picture of a very dreary looking roundabout with a road accident happening some way in the distance. After about five hours of the ten our art teacher pulled him aside and asked him in a concerned manner which of the five available theme titles he was working to. He said, "Number four - Worksop." The art teacher sighed and pointed out that it actually said 'workshop'.

In Rich Hall's book 'Things Snowball' there is a chapter entitled 'Aberdeen like'. Here are a few choice extracts -

"From the railway station, turn left. Look for a big, grey, foreboding mass of opressive and squarish granite with some tiny windows. You'll recognise this as the city of Aberdeen. Now get back on the train. Quickly. Just kidding. Cross the street, being careful to watch out for displaced Texans, with steer longhorns attached to the bonnets of their Fiat Puntos, driving on the wrong side of the road. There's oil money in Aberdeen, lots of it.

Walk about three hundred metres and you'll find yourself in the heart of Aberdeen's bustling shopping district, called Poundstretchers. Sample the delights. Keep an eye out for one of the many kiosks where matronly Scotswomen sell the local delicacy: batter-fried chunks of granite.

Across from Poundstretchers is the inspirational war memorial - a massive granite carving of some soldiers resting against a handsome slab of granite. Inscribed in relief are the words :

In memory of the Valiant Men and Women of World War II, who Gave Their Lives in the Cause of Freedom Like

Cross the road and you will arrive at the Aberdeen Art Gallery. On my last several visits it has been offering a wonderfully minimalist exhibition of hand-painted 'Closed' signs.

...Continuing across the campus and you will notice two small edifices in front of the dining complex, which appear to be either minarets or a pair of large chess bishops which have been pebble-dashed and glazed in creosote. If you ask the majority of passersby what they are, they will likely tell you they're 'Dunnaes'."

• 10 months later...
Closer to home' date=' surely Peterhead and the broch are the local shitpits? I'm working in Peterhead just now and it's one ugly town.[/quote']

i have to agree, even tho i live in the broch. it used to be a thriving fishing town, but now thats gone and there are no jobs for young people. the factories are filled with eastern europeans, who i am not blaming but their presence does cause a lot of trouble at weekends.

furthermore it was widely known as 'the heroin capitol of europe.' it dosnt take a criminoligist to work out what the fishing boats are now 'catching.' its supposed to be 3.5% of the population are heroin addicts, which is over double the national average. that means you have almost 2000 junkies floating about on the dole, feeding a 60 a day habit, so its safe to say that this is a shitpit.

anyone who thinks aberdeen's a dump is a total idiot (or not very well travelled)

we're extremely lucky people to live in a place like this

even if it is a bit grey, damp and windy..

Absolutely. Without sounding like a prick its a beautiful place - castlegate, university etc. Got some fucknig ace record shops and places to go out too.

And i'm moving away...

After my stay in Grangemouth earlier this year I'd like to add it as one of the nation's hellpits. That metallic smell in the air was so refreshing everymorning... as were the bloodshot eyes.

I'm going to second on Slough too.

haha, I lived there in my high school years, it was always easy to walk around at 3am in the morning with the lovely orange glow lighting your way wherever you went. The complimentary asthma was nice too, shame it dissapeared when I moved here for uni :)

Not getting why so many are saying Falkirk and Stirling are so bad though, Stirling is one of the most picturesque places you could hope to stay in. I've lived in both places, and spent a summer working as a postie in both the raploch and camelon (tatty junkie filled place at the edge of Falkirk, although the dealer I had to deliver lots of signature requiring court orders to was fairly friendly) and even though they're pretty much considered the worst areas in either town they're nowhere near as bad as other places I've been. Actually, the raploch is relatively nice, especially compared with the schemes on the way down to cornton in Stirling. My only real gripe with both towns would be the relatively dull nightlives of both places (too small), but the ease of travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh made up for it.

A weird thing was, when I first moved up here, I thought "there's hardly any neds in Aberdeen" as opposed to "there's pure dead hunners eh neds back hame man".

Find it hard to comprehend why anyone would consider Aberdeen one of the worst places to stay though, the only thing you could say is that it's a bit isolated, and sometimes has lulls in good bands playing, but that's nothing really.

Cumbernauld is one of the dumpiest places I know of, I have a couple of friends who live there, one had taken a work van home, which was a brand new transit flatbed pickup thing, and it got fireballed within a couple of hours of being parked in his street :laughing:( he was allowed to take the van home, and never got in bother for it btw)

That and Birmingham, used to have to go there a lot for national team training and apart from the traffic system, highlights of visits included seeing some guy pull a gun on someone then batter him in the face with it in the street as we were waiting for the lights to change :down:

Quite. I love Aberdeen but live in London now because I simply could not get established in my career in Aberdeen. London has some good reasons to be the best place in the world to live, a fabulously friendly city full of everything. Plenty of bustle and nightlife, plenty of quiet places, plenty of green, surrounded by nice countryside...

Cullen, my hometown, I think is the most beautiful place in the world, and I'd love to retire there, but whenever I go home at the moment I feel I'm leaving a party early, so wouldn't want to live there yet.

Edinburgh never disappoints though, although I'm slowly beginning to wonder if Glasgow is not better...

Ther eis no worse place to live for me than the suburbs of London/Essex. I spent a big chunk of my childhood there and if I never visit the place again it will be too soon. Like being at a permanent meeting of the BNP, as well as being an ugly, miserable, aggressive, dreary place with no spark whatsoever.

London has some good reasons to be the best place in the world to live, a fabulously friendly city full of everything. Plenty of bustle and nightlife, plenty of quiet places, plenty of green, surrounded by nice countryside...

And £4 vodka and cokes at the place I was at last week! Fucking hell!