aberdeen-music

Trivium

Hog

so who are the saviours of metal? I say The Haunted!

To be honest I'm not sure. The Haunted are ace. But so are many other bands that coud be considered the saviours I suppose. I'd think Perhaps Lamb Of God at the moment; they're really becoming very well known, write catchy yet technical songs and work hard.

Perhaps the ultimate, Children Of Bodom. Although their older stuff is far more Metal in it's pure form than new stuff.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so who are the saviours of metal? I say The Haunted!

The Haunted have sloped on 'Revolver', it's not a patch on 'Made Me Do It'. So I wouldn't say they're the saviours. KsE would have had my vote if 'The End Of...' had a little more balls and retained the same raw edge as 'Alive...'.

Hard one.

I have to go against the grain and say I like them.There is not a single bit of hardcore in their sound and roadrunner hasn't labelled them as such a band.They are a straight forward metal band likened to Machine Head and Metallica not A7X or Atreyu.

Yeh, I'm sorry but while they're not the so-called "saviours of metal" their sound is phenomenal. For their age (3 of them are still 18-19) the solos are ace and have you guys heard the drummer? Flawless. Ok the shouting is a bit much all the time but I love them.

Guest Page 99
I Mastadon' date=' KsE, Burnt By The Sun, Isis and God Forbid would be in my top list. [/quote']

Most of those bands have seiriously decreased in quality over the past couple of years.

Isis are progressing totaly away from the entire metal scene into somthing of a post rock band... not a bad thing mind you.

Burnt By The Sun's last album is no where near as good as their first, and now with the lack of Witte and the vocalist (can't remember his name off hand), I feel that their new album is probibly going to be a bit shoddy... I pity the poor drummer who has to try and match Wittie in terms of speed and accuracy.

Mastadon, I won't even go there. The new album sucks.

KSE were okay untill they got Howard 'crooner' Jones in. Now they sound like a cheesy 80's metal band... and well God Forbid are just plain boring and pretty unoriginal.

Sorry to be a bitch but it's just what I thought about these bands being 'saviours'. Only an opinion like.

Mastadon' date=' I won't even go there. The new album sucks.

.[/quote']

I BEG TO DIFFER :D

Just like Trivium the Magazines just cant get enough of them :moody:

Leviathon is a really great album and deserves alot of praise but the magazines should be concentrating on the huge amount of good bands out there, not just the select few.

There's only a cetain amount of stuff they can say or write about before they start repeating themselves X(

Burnt By The Sun's last album is no where near as good as their first

Really? The riffs are HUGE. Me likes.

Mastadon' date=' I won't even go there. The new album sucks.

[/quote']

Bollocks. Blood and Thunder ALONE is one of the best metal tunes of the last few years...

KSE were okay untill they got Howard 'crooner' Jones in. Now they sound like a cheesy 80's metal band...

Howard is no Jesse' date=' I agree, but I thought "End Of Heartache" was a quality record. Solid stuff, tunes galore, what more do you want? It seems the addition of melody to metal instantly makes someone "80's"...

and well God Forbid are just plain boring and pretty unoriginal.

God Forbid are 20x better than ANY of the Lamb of God/Darkest Hour/Chimera bollocks. They do their thang, they do it well. Who does melodic metal better nowadays?

Sorry to be a bitch but it's just what I thought about these bands being 'saviours'. Only an opinion like.

No offence taken - hell, this is a DISCUSSION board. You've bitch-slapped my choices, but made none of your own - what do YOU think?

ps. I'd like to add Burst to my list too now please.

Guest Page 99

Blood and thunder isprobibly the worst piece of metal I have heard in fucking ages, it's cheesy and not in a good way, its more like the mouldy cheese that nobody would, or should touch with a barge pole.

and the KSE thing. They used to have melody, quite ample amounts of it. Now they just totaly overdone on the production and the melodies inbetween the guitars, and god... howard's lyrics and vocals are terrible.

Lamb Of God and all that lot are Slayercore and just wish they were Slayer, pity they arn't Slayer. Hopefully slayer will release a good album soon and then we can put this argument to rest.

Most the stuff I listen to is either not metal, or metal but not in it's purest form so I don't actualy think I know of any bands who could be classified as saviours, plus the whole ideology of calling a band a saviour of said genre seems a bit NME to me.

Burst on the other hand are rather good.

Lamb Of God and all that lot are Slayercore and just wish they were Slayer' date=' pity they arn't Slayer. Hopefully slayer will release a good album soon and then we can put this argument to rest. [/quote']

The rest I agree with, but this...I wouldn't call lamb Of God or God Forbid Slayercore. I think in many ways they're worlds apart. Oh and I like a little KsE, I'm into a lot of heavier stuff now.

Guest Page 99
So you just don't like metal. Jeez!

"Saviours" was tongue in cheek.

No I do like metal, actualy the best metal band I can think of right now are the Red Chord. So neh.

lambofgod are nothing like slayer at all and are probably one of the most original in style out of all these newwave american metal bands. Trivium i believe are good for their age but music is not great. Too much cheesy riffs with the melodic vocals and some of the solos just dont sound right. With time they will become better but do not compare to bands like The Haunted, Nevermore, Meshugha, lambofgod etc..

• 3 months later...

Trivium are shite.

They are over hyped, have a shite bass player, some of the worst vocals i have ever heard, guitarists are nothing special if you put them next to good extreme guitarists ie. Devin Townsend, Chuck Schuldiner, Pat Owen...

So what is there to like?

Put them against Death, Cryptopsy, Cannibal Corpse, SYL, Dying Fetus and they are SHITE.

the guitarist wants to be Marty Friedman?

And he never will be! He's just a shitty wee shreddy piece of shit! Marty is one of the most under-rated Guitarists around. I think he's phenominal!

On Trivium: music is better than a lot of the other pish going around just now' date=' but they still ain't nothin special, and the singer is annoying.....

[b']mediocre

adj.

Moderate to inferior in quality; ordinary; Trivium. See Synonyms at average.

:D

Andy

No I do like metal' date=' actualy the best metal band I can think of right now are the Red Chord. So neh.[/quote']

I've only heard a little Red Chord, but I was under the impression they were a grind band, not "metal" per se.

BTW, Burnt By The Sun have reformed with the old line up for one final record. Meant to be more liek the earleir stuff...

I've only heard a little Red Chord' date=' but I was under the impression they were a grind band, not "metal" per se.

BTW, Burnt By The Sun have reformed with the old line up for one final record. Meant to be more liek the earleir stuff...[/quote']

the latest red chord album is SO good that it should be simply labelled heavy music. That way no one would have any preconceptions about whether it is a metal/grind/death etc album.

I would describe it simply as an awesome metal album, but yeah... IF you had to choose one, I would stick it in the 'grind' pigeon hole. But that really doesn't do it justice :)

Lamb Of God, original? They sound a lot like Pantera to me.

I'm incredibly picky when it comes to metal as I find most of it is very samey. Trivium are one of those bands that I find are oh so interchangable with their peers. Bullet For My Valentine are another.

Dillinger Escape Plan are clearly the saviours of metal (if indeed, it needs saving). Other recent bands of note are Meshuggah, Norma Jean (pretty much the only 'fashion' band I can stomach) and God Forbid are the pick of the Maiden wannabes.

Guest Page 99
the latest red chord album is SO good that it should be simply labelled heavy music. That way no one would have any preconceptions about whether it is a metal/grind/death etc album.

I would describe it simply as an awesome metal album' date=' but yeah... IF you had to choose one, I would stick it in the 'grind' pigeon hole. But that really doesn't do it justice :)[/quote']

Aye this is true. Just an opinion like, I think they are like the second coming of good cryptopsy which is death metal.