aberdeen-music

POD line 6 V2

Hog

Guest DustyDeviada

Rory from The Void (sultanofswing86 on here) has an XT and it sounds ace.

I've been thinking of getting a POD XT Live which of course you could use live and in the studio, a lot more expensive than the v2 which I think you can get for around a 100 now?

i have the pod pro rack unit, which is the pod v2 software in an XT like unit. i think they are obsolete now, i got mine in last-of-batch sale at www.andertonsonline.co.uk for 200 quid. you can often pick them up on ebay for between 200-300 just now.

they are incredibly versatile and for computer recording they are great. for example, the pod pro has a line input and a guitar input; using the line input and the stereo inputs, i can run the pod pro as an insert (i.e. like an fx loop) straight from my sound card. the pod pro has a toggle switch for guitar/line input as well, so you never have to faff about with unplugging stuff. it also has a bunch of XLR connectors, toggleable cab simulation (so you can switch cab simulation off if you are playing through a real cab).

it's one of the best purchases i ever made, i use it for so much more than guitars. i regularly run synths, vocals and bass through the unit, it does a great job of warming signals up and has a compressor as one of the effects, which is especially great for the synth. i've toyed with the idea of getting the bass pod xt as well, though i've so far delayed because my bass sounds pretty good just through the pod pro.

my friend is borrowing mine at the moment, and he absolutely loves it - even though he has a line6 duoverb with many of the same amp simulations - just because it is so intuitive and fun to use. finding guitar tones for different applications is incredibly quick with it, too.

p.s. here's a nice one to watch, comes with the 4 channel floorboard pedal too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7340683516&category=22669&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Its better than a line out from an amp, but amp line outs normally suck badly.

Lack of a presence control is terribly limiting, the speaker emulations the weakest part.

Overall, the POD 2 isn't fantastic or particularly realistic sounding, but its a nice toy, decent for recording if your not serious and you can get loads of sustain from the thing. Sounds best through a power amp with presence control and a real speaker cab.

I think the pod is one of the best guitar tools for recording. You get an awesome range of sounds that really capture the general character of the amps they model, and you can get a great recorded sound, (it sounds absolutely HUGE) at low volumes and you dont have to mic up guitar amps.

For performance and general playing I prefer using a regular amp, they seem to sound rawer and have more crunch and chunk than the POD (although the XT does have added 'rawness' compaired to the V2).

If its for live stuff check out the XT LIVE' date=' i was gonna buy one because its so versatile and has ANY sound you could possibly need and you can use the distortion on your amp with it..... but im a sucker for simplicity so im just sticking with my amp/lead/guitar setup.[/quote']

Nah man, it is for recording stuff on the laptop. Ideally, I want to get a decent distortion sound :rockon: