aberdeen-music

Give blood!

Rachie

Finally plucked up the courage to go to a blood donor session yesterday, wasn't too bad at all! Felt a little woozy afterwards and I have a bruise on my finger which hurts from getting my iron levels checked, but otherwise pretty good. Plus I'll finally get to find out my blood group as well as hopefully saving a life.

Anyone else given blood or planning to?

Do it, it's one "charity" that you don't have to be well off to afford to give to.

Aberdeen Blood Donor Centre

Foresterhill Road, Foresterhill

Aberdeen

AB25 2ZW

Tel: 01224 685685

Fax: 01224 695351

Opening times:

Tues and Wed: 4.00pm-7.30pm

Fri: 8.30am-10.30am

when i was turned 17 i was really eager to give blood. I searched on the internet, i asked people, i sent off for information... but in the end of all that, i didnt have a bloody clue what to do or where to go. Hence i gave up. They are desperate for blood, but if its not easy to find out how to give it, how do they expect to get a lot?

It's on the scotblood website... www.scotblood.co.uk

I found in it 2 minutes when I went to look for the donor times yesterday...

If you're in Aberdeen your local donor centre is at the address I posted in my 1st post. It's across the road from the main hospital entrance and down the hill a bit.

Or you could have called up the number on the posters... the adverts... or looked up "give blood" on google... or called up the hospital... no offence mate but you can't have been looking that hard...

when i was turned 17 i was really eager to give blood. I searched on the internet' date=' i asked people, i sent off for information... but in the end of all that, i didnt have a bloody clue what to do or where to go. Hence i gave up. They are desperate for blood, but if its not easy to find out how to give it, how do they expect to get a lot?[/quote']

??? It's in the phone book, under 'Blood'...

Even I found it no problem, and I couldn't find my arse with both hands...

They've got mobile units all over the place, if they notice you're from out of town and know of a mobile unit or mini-centre near you they'll usually tell you about them when you go to donate at the main centre.

Just turn up during the opening times, say at reception that you're there to donate blood and they'll keep you right. If it's your first time then you'll have a wee interview with a nurse, then you get your iron levels checked, then when there's a place free you go through and donate. Whole process doesn't take too long, when I went yesterday it was quite busy so I was there for an hour, but no biggie :)

You also get free biscuits etc.

I gorged myself on Tunnocks tea cakes.