aberdeen-music

Help gettin a good clean tone

Rob3TR

Hey I have a Gibson Les Paul studio which I play through a crate GT1200H head with a G41st speaker cab and I can get a fuckin comfy distortion out of it!But the cleans just not what I'm looking for...it's far too tinny.It's mainly for ska but also just your typical melodic clean pop punk part so any advice?

Guest DustyDeviada
single coils. Well. Thats what i would do.

Agreed, although you can maybe ge a bit closer to the sound you are looking for with both pups on? Or maybe some compression.

Solid state amps like the GT1200H have a great deal of difficulty creating a clean sound with very small amounts of harmonic distortion that is created by tubes/valves.

Try a Marshall JCM2000 combo or have a look on eBay for items like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-jcm-900-100w-full-stack_W0QQitemZ7340268361QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marshall-JCM-2000-DSL-100-Watt-Valve-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ7341006032QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is impossible to get a full-bodied sound out of a solid state amp!

www.the-byre.com

very warm clean tone...

Hey I have a Gibson Les Paul studio which I play through a crate GT1200H head with a G41st speaker cab and I can get a fuckin comfy distortion out of it!But the cleans just not what I'm looking for...it's far too tinny.It's mainly for ska but also just your typical melodic clean pop punk part so any advice?

i've tried a few studios...very nice...i use a 2002 les paul, through a mesa F-50/ dsl-50/ fender hot rod deluxe through an A/B/C box...using the dsl for dirty, the mesa for either but certainly the fender for clean...take your studio to r&b (i think they are the only people to have a fender amp dealership in aberdeen) and try it- they usually have a deluxe in stock... i dont think you will find a better warmer clean tone, sure a strat or tele can give you a crisper tone but a les paul through a deluxe has to be one of the the warmest...then increase the gain to dirty it slightly and you have a killer blues tone to boot.