aberdeen-music

AFC Thread (not for non football lovers)

Mr.Tim

they better keep their filthy fucking hands of diamond.

I believe JC has stated that he would turn down any offers, unless they were in the region of 5m. Too fucking right. I just don't get why Walter Smith picks Webster ahead of Anderson, but hopefully when Pressley hangs up his boots they'll ditch Webster and bring in Anderson and Diamond. Or even better - a Scotland back 4 consisting of McNaughton, Anderson, Diamond and Hart.

Ok so I took it too far.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe JC has stated that he would turn down any offers' date=' unlees they were in the region of 5m. Too fucking right. I just don't get why Walter Smith picks Webster ahead of Anderson, but hopefully when Pressley hangs up his boots they'll ditch Webster and bring in Anderson and Diamond. Or even better - a Scotland back 4 consisting of McNaughton, Anderson, Diamond and Hart.

Ok so I took it too far.[/quote']

Weird. As a Hearts fan, I would drop Pressley out of the Scotland squad before Webster. Pressley isn't the player he was two years ago, he's lost a yard of pace and is waaaay to niggley nowadays. Webster is a superb defender, who's proven himself time and time again, and I'd have him in my team long before I'd have Diamond. Anderson before Pressley however is a different matter (I reckon *if (and I seriously hope not)*, Webster heads Rangers-wards, Anderson will be a Hearts player before the end of the transfer window).

As for our season, three weeks ago, I secretly had us pegged for the drop. Having seen the players we've brought in however, I believe we'll be challenging certainly for third, and possibly second. If you look at the pedigree, Jankauskas is on paper (and from the evidence so far, on the field) the best striker in the SPL.

Anderson wouldn't move to hearts at this point in time, even if JC was willing to sell him. Aberdeen are not going to let their captain and the heart of their defence move to Hearts for anything except a truly ridiculous offer. Aside from that Anderson is a Don through and through, is the team captain and has a contract until 2008. If he was to move I imagine it would be up a level not sideways. At the moment Hearts are at the same level as Aberdeen (if that, there is an element of doubt over them this season with all the changes recently, while Aberdeen are on a rising high) and I just can't see him making that kind of move.

Aside from that Anderson is a Don through and through

Like Ian Murray was a Hibs fan through and through? Like Kenny Miller was a Hibs fan through and through? Like Paul Ritchie was a Hearts fan through and through? Like Gavin Rae was a Dundee fan through and through? Money talks' date=' and at the moment we're spending a lot more of it than most...

At the moment Hearts are at the same level as Aberdeen (if that, there is an element of doubt over them this season with all the changes recently, while Aberdeen are on a rising high)

I don't actually think there's any doubt about us this season. Last season we were piss poor (probably the worst I've seen in the last 7 or 8 seasons), and we were still only 8 points off yourselves at the end of the season. This season, we've brought in a much higher calibre of player, and they seem to have gelled straight from the off. As I said before, Jankauskas will score for fun in the SPL. Aberdeen's only signing of any note - and granted, it's an excellent signing - is Barry Nicholson. Still got the usual no prolific striker problem, I'd wager.

and I just can't see him making that kind of move.

In sober hindsight, neither can I. I suspect Burley would be looking to bring someone of the same or better quality in from abroad, for considerably less money.

Like Ian Murray was a Hibs fan through and through? Like Kenny Miller was a Hibs fan through and through? Like Paul Ritchie was a Hearts fan through and through? Like Gavin Rae was a Dundee fan through and through? Money talks' date=' and at the moment we're spending a lot more of it than most...[/quote']

er i think you'll find champions league football talks in those cases. the old firm have pull hearts will never have.

I don't actually think there's any doubt about us this season. Last season we were piss poor (probably the worst I've seen in the last 7 or 8 seasons)' date=' and we were still only 8 points off yourselves at the end of the season. This season, we've brought in a much higher calibre of player, and they seem to have gelled straight from the off. As I said before, Jankauskas will score for fun in the SPL. Aberdeen's only signing of any note - and granted, it's an excellent signing - is Barry Nicholson. Still got the usual no prolific striker problem, I'd wager.

[/quote']

we bought steve lovell who scored 35 goals in 98 appearances for dundee so that's gone some way to solving the striker issue, plus mackie is improving.

i can't see anderson moving to hearts to be honest but stranger things have happened. i'm not going to say he's a don through and through but calderwoods a good manager to work for and it can do his scotland chances some good to stay at aberdeen just now. that would be the only reason anderson would move i reckon, if it would improve his chances of being a regular scotland player. if rangers came in for him we'd have to worry i think.

I went over to holland to watch their pre-season games. severin, nicholson and considine all got pass marks, the rest were pretty dire. Dont get your hopes up too much with lovell, he was a big blouse on his debut, and i dont think he'll last long. i agree with 4th place this season. the dons are still not ruthless enough to finish in the top 3. but anhoos...c'mon the dandies!!

Gavin Rae has never been a Dundee fan. He's an Aberdeen fan.

I stand corrected. Doesn't change the original point though.

Regardless' date=' George Burley/Phil Anderton have once again shown that their ambitions are considerably higher than us Hearts fans have any right to expect: [url']http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/4742317.stm and looks like Webster will be staying.

Jc said last season he wouldnt sell' date=' zander or russel for a penny less than 3 million, hearts will replace webster with no doubt another foreigner[/quote']

Interesting point about the foreigners that we're getting slated for by the Glasgow-centric press...We started last week against Kilmarnock with 7 Scottish players, 4 of them Scottish internationalists. We've turned down offers from the Old Firm for two of them, proving that we're *not* going to be a team filled with foreigners.

Just remember a few years back, it was perfectly normal for non-Old Firm teams to be putting out sides with more than 4 foreigners. We've also got some promising players coming through (in particular Christophe Berra (Scottish, inspite of the name) and Lee Wallace).

And if you had the chance to replace Jamie McAllister with a Euro 2004 winners medal holder, are you telling me you wouldn't take it?

who gives a fuck about hearts anyway. bunch of minks' date=' lets talk about the dons!

yeah so we played pretty piss against killie eh? but things can only get better. a lot of teams have bad patches, we are getting ours over and done with now.[/quote']

They played some very good football at times some and got turned down 2 stonewall penalties. I think the boys were in shock after theearly goal. We can all blame McNaughton for his poor backpass which was too short, but don't you think they should just stop the kick-off routine of kicking the ball as far up the left hand side as possible. It's something they've done since the days of Ebbe Skovdahl and has never led to a goal. So ask yourself, what is the point? All it seems to do is waste possession or lead to mistakes which cost goals.

I was very impressed with Smith and Nicholson. The link up play down the right was a pleasure to watch at times. Lovell showed good strength, but isn't fit enough to last 90 minutes.

The thin that annoys me most is how they try to walk the ball into the net. Therer were so many chances inside the box that were squandered and even from 20 yards, surely they should be having a pop from there. The shot of the match was from Smith and was about 20-odd yards out. Unless the dons show a bit more confidence going forward, it's going to be a miserable season. But we're only 2 games into the new season so there's still hope.

Interesting point about the foreigners that we're getting slated for by the Glasgow-centric press...We started last week against Kilmarnock with 7 Scottish players' date=' 4 of them Scottish internationalists. We've turned down offers from the Old Firm for two of them, proving that we're *not* going to be a team filled with foreigners.

Just remember a few years back, it was perfectly normal for non-Old Firm teams to be putting out sides with more than 4 foreigners. We've also got some promising players coming through (in particular Christophe Berra (Scottish, inspite of the name) and Lee Wallace).

And if you had the chance to replace Jamie McAllister with a Euro 2004 winners medal holder, are you telling me you wouldn't take it?[/quote']

what i mean is, your new owner seems to be taking in alot of foreign players, and for the money aberdeen would demand for a player like anderson, theirs no doubt cheeper and better players abroad.

i watched the hearts game yesterday and at least the foreign players they have signed will only make scotish football better, but the hype wil die down mid season, the same happened last season with aberdeen