aberdeen-music

Taxi!

Guest Cowboy Dan

well apparently they're now allowed to charge more between the hours of 1am and 5am so my taxi home last night cost about 1.50 more than usual

small price to pay if it means there are more taxis working and the queues are smaller. smaller queues means you get home quicker, there's less queue jumping and less fights. It also means people who live nearby and are just being lazy are less likely to get a taxi which again makes the queues smaller and makes it easier for people who really need taxis to get them.

Guest MarkJDelaney

Britain needs to employ a taxi system like NYC. It's the best taxi system I've ever used. You can hail down a cab ANYWHERE you see one, it's cheap and the cars are standard issue provided by the city.

Well it costs 30 or something to Stonehaven but then I have never got a taxi home, I never even have that money so I can always walk to my friend's in Kingswells. But I know that they're a lot cheaper in Inverness and Glasgow (or seemed so to me...) - why are they so much here?!

Well it costs 30 or something to Stonehaven but then I have never got a taxi home' date=' I never even have that money so I can always walk to my friend's in Kingswells. But I know that they're a lot cheaper in Inverness and Glasgow (or seemed so to me...) - why are they so much here?![/quote']

am i understanding correctly..? you can walk from town to kinswells after a night out? how long does that take????

brave brave man.. respect.

The buses are going up in price as well...it is now 2.10 for a single to Aberdeen from near my home. It used to be 90p! or 1.35 for a return. Also Guitarist magazine is now 5.25 instead of 4.99...BAH!

People are right about Glasgow. We were there last year and used them HEAPS. Only about 1 each <4 of us> to go from Glasgow Green to the School of Art. Though they were quite difficult to get a hold of outside of ranks and some of the guys were a bit weird...so I do tend to prefer buses.

am i understanding correctly..? you can walk from town to kinswells after a night out? how long does that take????

brave brave man.. respect.

Well no, not often, because I can usually stay with another friend near Queen's Cross. But in the more extreme situations... it doesn't seem like that long when your head's full of alcohol. Between one and two hours?

A walk to Kingswells? Hmm...must take at least an hour and a half. We've considered walking to Westhill once or twice but really it's too far, especially when inebriated. Something like 7/8 miles under the influence of alcohol. You'd be going sideways more than forward!

To get from my house into town, I have to get two buses, which costs 5.10 altogether. However, I can usually get a lift to the Inverurie bus stop, so it's "only" 3.20.

It's ridiculous that buses don't have a student discount or anything. I get a reduced train fare from 3.50 to 2.30 with my Young Person's Railcard, but there aren't that many trains a day, so I have to fork out almost a tenner to get from my house to Aberdeen and back.

Seems about right...it was 15 for us to get back to Portlethen one night so that's about half the distance to Stonehaven...

Nah. when I used to get the taxi home to stoney we never paid more than 20. trick is to agree the price when you get in the taxi. Just ask "20 quid to Stoney?" and they'll usually say yes and ask for it up front. Now the prices have gone up I reckon 25 would still be achievable. In fact a friend of mine got a taxi home on Saturday and it only cost him 25.

Also never book a taxi from Stoney to come get you, it'll always be more expensive.