aberdeen-music

good recording venue>?

ZeromiserY

we are currently thinking about re-recording our ep. adding more tracks and re-vamping our old ones.

can anyone suggest a good place to go?

we'll need a good bit of time (roughly 10 tracks to record and not doing live recordings)

also, any suggestions on how to improve the sound. im a drummer and dont know much about guitar settings/sounds. we're looking for a crunchy yet defined guitar sound. also, we need the lead guitar sound to come through more. if you listen to legs wide open ( http://spaces.msn.com/members/statueofmisery/ ) you'll hear that the lead is almost completely drowned. :cheers:

I might just be starting a recording service soon, it depends on a few people saying yes to a couple of things, and some gear maybe winging its way past me....could be weeks, could be months...but watch this space...

As for the lead guitar, the guitarist coming through left speaker should have stuck to playing the riff as the guy in the right, then over dubbed the lead part on a new track, and had that track way up front in the centre of the mix...the guitars could be done with less gain, and the guy in the left channel needs a better sound, it sounds like a wasp...guitar in the right speaker sounds ok though...

Where was it recorded?

I might just be starting a recording service soon' date=' it depends on a few people saying yes to a couple of things, and some gear maybe winging its way past me....could be weeks, could be months...but watch this space...

As for the lead guitar, the guitarist coming through left speaker should have stuck to playing the riff as the guy in the right, then over dubbed the lead part on a new track, and had that track way up front in the centre of the mix...the guitars could be done with less gain, and the guy in the left channel needs a better sound, it sounds like a wasp...guitar in the right speaker sounds ok though...

Where was it recorded?[/quote']

as chi says. cap'in toms. we were happy with that recording at the time. but we've come to realise we could have gotten a lot better.

...the guitars could be done with less gain' date=' and the guy in the left channel needs a better sound, it sounds like a wasp...guitar in the right speaker sounds ok though...

Where was it recorded?[/quote']

I listened to Road to Ruin.

I think both guitars don't sound good. If this recording had really great sound chunky metal guitar sounds it'd be much better. They are just a bit wussy/hissy.

The drum sound is ok and I really like the vocals they sound really good. Perhaps just using Tom's again and spending more time making sure you get good sounds from each instrument...as with most recording isn't the phrase "shit in...shit out"?

You could always try The Mill. A lot of good quality recordings have come from there. Last time I heard it was 25 per hour so multi-tracking...won't be cheap.

I think both guitars don't sound good. If this recording had really great sound chunky metal guitar sounds it'd be much better. They are just a bit wussy/hissy.

I doubt that Capt Tom is to blame for the guitar sound. I mentioned to this to them months ago when they first started coming down on the Sunday. Had a discussion about how too much distortion sounds just sounds hissy.

It never fails to surprise me how many people instantly dial-in extreme settings to amps... before they even turn them on! Some people seem to treat the bass mid and treble controls like on/off switches. These extreme settings invariably lead to a shit sound. A common varient is:

Presence - full up

Bass - full up.

Mid - full down (what has everyone got against mid LMAO!)

Treble - full up.

Gain - full up.

Drive - full up.

Overdrive - on

Then they plug in their pod... and turn it's distortion FULL UP.

And this is regardless of whatever amp they are using.

Then they complain that they "can't hear their guitar on stage" despite having the volume sky high.

"Hear that sound like a TV set tuned into the snow between stations, the sound that

going shhhhshhhhshhhshhhshhhshhhshhcccccchhhhchchhshshsh? Well that's not some kind of unidentified background noise. No that horrible noise overpowering everything else is your guitar. And the reason it doesn't seem to be producing any of the chords you are playing is because it's so distorted it's turned to everything into hiss".

An experienced local guitarist gave me excellent advise on the basic starting point for setting up a Marshall valve head:

1) Set *bass, mid, treble, and volume to the straight up/ halfway/12 noon position.

2) Hold the guitar close to the speaker and crank up the gain until the point it starts to feedback, then back it off slightly. THERE'S YOUR DISTORTION!

3) Bass, mid, and treble can now be (gently) tailored to produce the required sound.

4) A decent amp should not require a distortion pedal, the amp alone is capable of distorting the sound to the point where it loses all structure and becomes noise.

5) ALWAYS jump down off the stage and listen from a good few feet away, it can sound very different to how it sounds close up!

*Note: This applied to a Les Paul, Strats require a bit more bass.

He wasn't implying that everyone should use those exact settings!!! It's just a more balanced starting point than full bass, no mid, full treble, max distortion, and then add more distortion. Yes in some cases extreme settings do produce pleasing results, but too much distortion is ALWAYS shit.

The whole concept of starting from the mid point is nothing new, just common sense. Sound engineers do the same thing with graphics equalisers. I mean - can you just imagine a sound engineer going in and pushing all the bass up, scooping the mid out, and pushing all the treble up?...

...err yes - it's called 'the smiley face' and is the default answer for any shit sound engineer. I stumbled accross it myself the first time I ever set up a graphic LOL.

"Hear that sound like a TV set tuned into the snow between stations' date=' the sound that

going shhhhshhhhshhhshhhshhhshhhshhcccccchhhhchchhshshsh?[/quote']

my music teacher once told me that shhhhshhhhshhhshhhshhhshhhshhcccccchhhhchchhshshsh is the sound of the universe being created and after a few more thousand years we wont be able to hear that anymore.

he was crazy :rockon: