aberdeen-music

big muff

Guest lime ruined my life

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gasss

It's disappointing and slightly annoying when you open one up and find a tiny pcb, a crap switch and a huge amount of air.

What series Big Muff is the circuit for? I guess it's not one of the op-amp ones.

nah, its the pi ones.

what one have you got? what ones the best?

i might make the pi one, considering i could probaly put it together in an afternoon for about 5 pounds.

the mxr one im working on uses op amps, but the clipping comes from silicon diodes in the feedback netwrok of the op amp.

The whole pedal building thing is really addictive, im also considering designing a schematic which splits the signal and uses op-amp clipping and diode clipping, and having some sort of blend pot for the two. i think it'd be like a fuzz and a tubescreamery pedal in parralell, but who knows. It might sound like a Kitten in a blender, while it's mother watches.

im also trying to find a schematic of my digital delay. After that previous post about delays i decided to try and see if i can bleed off the highs on the delayed notes, because at the moment it's really harsh and shit.

Although it'd alright for lo-fi noise.

Guest Gasss

I've never tried any vintage Big Muffs but I have a sovtek one and used to have a USA one which sounded a lot worse. I think they vary a lot. The US ones look exactly like the series 3 op-amp ones but are more like the series 2 models inside (as they don't have any op-amps).

stupid big muffs, so the big muff pi transistor one is the worst one?

i could fiddle with it i guess, make it sound different.

I don't really know. The sovtek one doesn't have any op-amps either.

if it sounds shit, il make it sound better. Easy.

and if i can't make it sound better, then i'l turn it into something that makes a really horrible noise. I'd quite like a "really horrible noise" pedal.

Guest Gasss

My rat broke once and started to make a square wave tone whose pitch I could control with the filter knob. I had many relaxed evenings exploring this through a delay. I got it fixed in the end though. boring ikaruga

nice one.

i figured out how to get a sine wave on the micron.

the filters on it are amazing.

i spent many evenings recently making it go "ahhhhhhhhh" and "eeeeeeeee" by using the vocal formant filters, i could use it for the speach synthesis of the robot i'm going to build of myself, before i escape and program it to live the rest of my life.

Guest Gasss

Is that like some sort of DIY fernandez sustainer? I'd like one of those. Apparantly the Edge has some sort of top secret rackmounted sustain thing which works on all his guitars.

you'd think from the sixe of it it'd be complicated.

but it looks like a really really easy build.

about the same size as a led flip flop circuit i once made.

http://www.eskimo.plus.com/fxstuff/bigmuff.jpg

You should build a micro big muff inside a cigarette packet like those amps they have at bruce millers. you could call it a "small muff fags" or something witty like that.

Hey I love your big muff and my big muff too. But they are stupid' date=' unreliable and idiosyncratic.[/quote']

But that's the whole reason everybody loves EHX! I'm going down to Maplins today and I'm going to build one, just a straight up clone, whether it's idiosyncratic or not.

Ok... after looking at the circuit in befuddlement I'm going to have to be a complete idiot and ask some very dumb questions.

1. What impedance are all the resistors? Same goes with the capacitors' capacitance.

2. What are the little red squares with dots inside? I can't tell because the photo is so small.

I probably will have more later. It's been more than a year and a half since I properly wired something...

that sustainer looks very interesting, though i cant be bothered wading through just under a thousand posts for the schematics/designs of it

my strat needs new pickups and stuff soon (when i can get them past my paretns) but that would be interesting to try beforehand

big muffs are sweet, i might have to try building one sometime, i have been playing with fuzzes a lot recently and would like to compare one to what i have, there is a nice us one sitting in cash converters for 45, but i hwould have no chance of getting that past the parents (someone please buy it soon before i am tempted to)

David

For anybody who wants to build a Muff themselves, there's a great, great site here with schematics, a part list and everything. Happy building!

And to David: I wouldn't bother with buying one- look at the size of the PCB! Is that worth 45 of your hard earned cash? I think not

yeh, the schem came with the photo, i didint post the schem cause it was the photo i was intrested in, sorry.

plus, resistors have "resistance" not impedance, capacitors and whole circuits have "impedance". just a technicality, unless your seriously into it, though.

For anybody who wants to build a Muff themselves' date=' there's a great, great site here with schematics, a part list and everything. Happy building!

And to David: I wouldn't bother with buying one- look at the size of the PCB! Is that worth 45 of your hard earned cash? I think not

hey, can you tell me how much all the components cost?

plus it's always worth buying the pedal, really, your paying for r and d, and however unreliable e-h is, it's always quite cool to have a real one.

that said, i'm going to build a clone too.

if you have any problems head over to http://www.diystompboxes.com/forums/stompboxforum/

it's worth reading the faq and the "first build" sticky posts.

and welcome to the world of pedal building.

Guest Zeenat Aman

All this electrical talk has reminded me of something...

Would any of you be able to make a matchbox or credit card sized box that could clip onto my belt that has an input for this sax pickup:

DSC01950.JPG

.. and have an output for a standard guitar lead?