aberdeen-music

Jagged Little Pill Acoustic

jester1470

Alanis' Jagged Little Pill was one album I listened to a lot when I was around 18/19, it's one of the few albums where I like every single track.

She's just released an acoustic version of the album, it's brilliant, possibly as I've mellowed with age I love acoustic music more and more and these are great versions of very good songs.

Its a shame I feel Alanis never got close to topping JLP and although it may be a complete cash in, I dont care, its a really nice recording. I guess it must be depressing to have made your best album as your first and then watch diminishing returns for 10 years then have to rereleasea new version of your album 10 years on (anyone else going to see Fish on the Return to Childhood Tour ;) ).

Anyone else got it ?

Cheers

Stuart

i'd rather stick jagged litle knifes in my eyes than listen to that album ever again.

everyone i knew had that record and played it non stop and i never liked it, total fake angst and psuedo intelligent lyrics. i get why people liked it, it was a well recorded album and the sound was good but it just didn't do anything for me. canada has a lot to answer for in the fake angst stakes, first alanis now avril.

Guest Gasss

I agree it was over-exposed. I wonder if she'll release every track as a single over the next 2 years.

I have to say I didn't mind it too much. I saw her at T in the Park in 1996 and she was OK but when she started inaudibly banging a jag-stang for show, I got annoyed. Maybe Dave should knife my eyes as well. I think she ditched the guy that wrote all the songs after that album. Good move!

I completely do not understand the point of releasing another version of an album you did however many years ago - which appears to sound not all that dissimilar to the original record - other than to cash in on a few greasy pennies to fund your 'non-recording hip artiste' lifestyle as your life slowly ticks by and your forehead mysteriously gets larger every year, whilst your ovaries shrivel. oh.

Guest DustyDeviada

Shame she has to resort to this. See also Bat Out of Hell II, The Road to Hell II and Tubular Bells II, III, Drum and Bass version etc. Artists of real quality never resort to reliving past glories.

And has she worked out the difference between irony and bad luck yet?

Shame she has to resort to this. See also Bat Out of Hell II' date=' The Road to Hell II and Tubular Bells II, III, Drum and Bass version etc. Artists of real quality never resort to reliving past glories.

And has she worked out the difference between irony and bad luck yet?[/quote']

Well tobe fair Bat Out Of Hell 2, and Tubular Bells 2 were just album titles to different music, this is the same music.

BooH 2 was so named because it was the first album since the original Bat that Meat Loaf had collaborated with Jim Steinman on all of the tracks so its kind of underrstandeable.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada
It gives people a different take on a classic album' date='

[/quote']

Fair enough, but if she was an artist of true quality she would be out producing another classic album, not re-hashing old stuff.

Do you think The Beatles would have ever considered Rubber Soul acoustic? Bridge Over Troubled Water acoustic? Transformer acoustic? Dark Side of the Moon acoustic? No, thats what separates musical greats like The Beatles, Paul Simon, Lou Reed and Pink Floyd from the likes of Alannis Morrisette who will be but a footnote in musical history.

Guest DustyDeviada

I didn't buy the original, but I liked You Oughta Know, One Hand in My Pocket was OK until that stupid Billy Connolly rip-off evil Scotsman version came out, but Ironic just pissed me off.

Doesn't she realise that the only ironic thing about that song is the fact that despite being called Ironic it is utterly devoid of irony?

Well tobe fair Bat Out Of Hell 2' date=' and Tubular Bells 2 were just album titles to different music, this is the same music.

BooH 2 was so named because it was the first album since the original Bat that Meat Loaf had collaborated with Jim Steinman on all of the tracks so its kind of underrstandeable.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

actually your wrong, Bat Out Of Hell 2 was named so because at the time Meat Loaf's career was fucked and the only way they could generate any kind of interest in him was to dictate a promotional campaign around that title. i watched a documentary on the whole campaign, Meat Loaf was not keen to call in Bat Out Of Hell 2 but had to succumb to record company pressure, he had no choice since by 1993 not even his hairdressers cat knew who he was.

Guest DustyDeviada
I thnk tubular bells II is just an orchestral version of the original album?

No, I actually own it (god, I went through a strange phase in the early 90s). It starts off with the "Exorcist" motif but is then totally different.