aberdeen-music

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

*Amy*

Is pretty damn good. I'd recommend if there's one thing to do on these rainy days, it'd be to go catch this film. Sticking to the story with added flashbacks to Willy Wonka's childhood. Great casting, amazing effects, some decent one-liners and humorous Oompa Loompa songs. The Oompa Loompa effects on their own are outstanding, all played by the same guy, smashing. Johnny Depp is, as always, flawless in it.

A massive thumbs-up, Ewan Cameron style :up:

I thought it was pretty good, but preferred the Oompa-Loompa songs in the Gene Wilder version to this one. Too jazzed up for my liking.

I thought the casting was really good though, especially of the five ticket-winners. And the factory itself was incredible, with the scenery and special effects and everything.

I didn't really like the ending though, or the added parts to the story about the flashbacks to Willy Wonka's troubled childhood.

But yeah, it's definitely worth a trip to the cinema.

ok, good AND shit film...(very erotic though in my opinion)

good points: great casting, great effects

bad points: wonka being made to look and sound like michael jackson, the oompa loompa's were not oranged faced! and didnt have green hair!!!, the fat midget in pvc suit whipping a cow(just wrong on SOOOOO many levels! and the change of storeyline and loompa songs!

definatley worth a visit though

it had its good and bad points. the accents were a bit off at times. the lack of a few scenes from the original movie was very disapointing. no mr sluggsworth either. lots of jokes for adults that would go over the kids heads which was good. and the discovery that bill wonka was mollested. never saw that one coming.

the guy that plays the oopma loompas cracked me up so much. the songs were unexpectedly amazing and its good to see that they didnt copy the original movie too much.

he looked bizarrely familiar to me! i'm sure i've seen him in something else! i loved the film, much prefer it to the original. and there was at least three seconds of film where johnny depp didnt look like a creepy pervert which made me happy.

Guest Page 99

I really really enjoyed this film. Tim Burton has most defiantly outdone himself with this one. Also Depp surprisingly created a better version of the Willy Wonka character, making him extremely creepy and childlike, but also very amusing.

My only disappointment was with the lack of the part in the tunnel with Willy wonka's chant, I thought Burton would have relished that part... but that's just a small quarrel.

The film was a bit of an meh for me. The casting was very good, as connie said (I don't think anyone could have done a better job than Depp did, Gene Wilder is a hard act to follow) but the lack of nods to the original really took the film down a level for me.

I know its a remake and these days you have to jazz it up but where was the damn oompa loompa summoning whistle? It was much better that Depps stupid 'crazy' noise. Also, the song changes were a bit too drastic for my liking, they could have at least kept more of the original lyrics and still jazzed up a little (the jazzing up seemed a bit too much like trying to appeal to the Shrek generation which I supposed it was meant to).

Burton did do a rather good job on the factory itself though, very cool.

All and all, it was worth the money and not really a waste of time but could have been better.

I've been to see it twice...its wonderful. It actually exceeded all of my expectations. Although, with Tim Burton at the helm, it was obviously going to be great.

Johnny Depp is just classic in it, he fits the part perfectly, the exact voice and mannerisms I'd always visualised when I read the book.

I just can't stop quoting lines from it, its so funny.

it had its good and bad points. the accents were a bit off at times. the lack of a few scenes from the original movie was very disapointing. no mr sluggsworth either. lots of jokes for adults that would go over the kids heads which was good. and the discovery that bill wonka was mollested. never saw that one coming.

But the new film sticks mroe to the book which is the most important thing.

Doesn't matter if it has the same bits as the movie or not probably better that it doesn't as the movie was quite way off in comparison to the book.

I kind of liked it, but I was mostly weirded out by it, it seemed to me like a giant piss take of the original film/book, especially with the flashbacks. Then again, Roald Dahl is such a crazy cat that you should probably expect a load of surrealism in any films they make from his books.

I didn't like Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka at all (or the way they made the characterat least, don't know if it was actually because I didn't like him), because it seemed to me like he should have been more pensive and mysterious rather than just witty and dismissive. I didn't find his one liners and constant dismissiveness very amusing and his laugh was not a Willy Wonka laugh. That's probably because I am used to the Gene Wilder experience, maybe I'll read the book again to see... And I also think it's kind of important that Charlie's honesty and selflessness made him succeed - obviously it was apparent from the way the others left, and at the end they had the whole 'family' thing, but in the original Willy Wonka was really pleased that it was Charlie who won and I think they could have made a bigger thing of that in this version. So I didn't really like Willy Wonka, although I did appreciate his comedy moments such as walking into the glass elevator.

What else... oh yeah, when they first entered the magical candy garden with the chocolate river, I thought it just wasn't as magical as the first time. Maybe it was the lack of 'wondrous song' about the world of pure imagination.

But I did like the music a lot, not so much the Oompa Loompas' songs as just the background music like when they're going through the tunnel on the boat - that was ace music! I did like the OLs' songs as well though, especially the one for Veruca Salt.

Well.. I did like it as a half arsed modernised remake, but it's nothing compared to the original.

everyone's got to remember that roald dahl fucking hated the gene wilder film, hence it's called "willy wonka and the chocolate factory" (he wouldn't let them use "Charlie").

his estate granted this one the go a head, as they thought he'd have liked it.

everyone's got to remember that roald dahl fucking hated the gene wilder film' date=' hence it's called "willy wonka and the chocolate factory" (he wouldn't let them use "Charlie").

his estate granted this one the go a head, as they thought he'd have liked it.[/quote']

I think that is the main problem, everyone knows the original and will compare this version to that, rather than comparing it to the book.

what a lot of people don't seem to be realising is that it's not a re-make of the original film but a more true to the book film. this film was actually endorsed and produced by the roald dahl estate whereas the other film was despised by roald dahl and his family. i thought the film was great, although i too didn't like the flashbacks to his childhood. but deep roy (the oompa loompa) was fantastic casting. and i like the songs better because the lyrics were the originals from the book.

edit-didn't look at lepeep's post before posting.

the lack of nods to the original really took the film down a level for me

But the new film wasn't just a re-make of the old film; it was another version of the book. And a better version, in every respect, IMHO.

Even the Wonka/dentist storyline was surprisingly touching. And the songs were just brilliant.

9/10.

AKM

hrmm' date=' i'm gonna have to check it out. Sounds intriguing. Wonder if they'll do the sequel (charlie and the great glass elevator) Been years since i read it obviously, but as i recall it was darker and they'd need even more special effects than last time (remember the [b']vermnicious knids?)

I'd been struggling all weekend trying to remember their name!

thanks!