aberdeen-music

Scottish National Anthem

Guest bluesxman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neil ex
why must the National Anthem be anything by The Proclaimers or RunRig?

This is a song that' date=' potentially, could be around for the next few centuries & be a musical representation of our country. And you want to squander that on some pop band?

There must be some Robert Burns song or poem out there that has a more timeless and relevant theme to it?

I'm sorry but a couple of geeky Hibs fans or some crap Gaelic pub band (with a Canadian singer no less) hardly fit the bill as far as I'm concerned.[/quote']

Well you won't be around in a few centuries. I'd find it fuckin' funny if 500 Miles was our National Anthem.. Try and imagine the Scottish National team all lined up singing 500 Miles after the English sing God Save the Queen.

Well you won't be around in a few centuries. I'd find it fuckin' funny if 500 Miles was our National Anthem.. Try and imagine the Scottish National team all lined up singing 500 Miles after the English sing God Save the Queen.

actually that's a pretty convincing argument that one!

you just know it'd end up with them all wrapping arms round each other in a big circle and jumping all over the pitch happy as larry.

why are people always so down on the proclaimers? they're a fucking brilliant band and are more than just letter to america and i'm gonna be(500 miles). some great songs with great lyrics.

Xmas steps by mogwai' date=' performed by a brass band[/quote']

wouldn't it be great if there was a public vote to see which song it would be and mogwai got their fans organised and motivated in a belle and sebastianesque brit awards kinda way and that actually ended up as the national anthem. i''d tune in to every event scotland played at just to see the looks on everyones faces, although maybe played by a brass band it might sound more like a national anthem. they should just get mogwai to turn up and play it every time, particularly at the rugby and football. might get the teams going a bit.

Guest Gasss

it would be good if they had a brass band of 1000 members and 950 of them only played on the loud bit. They could keep the fiddle bit.

DA DA

DA DA DA

DA DA

DA DA DA ...

Guest lime ruined my life
it would be good if they had a brass band of 1000 members and 950 of them only played on the loud bit. They could keep the fiddle bit.

DA DA

DA DA DA

DA DA

DA DA DA ...

that would be more than 'quite' good.

it'd be 'quite' good if i coudl stop posting so many messages.

Is there a limit on how long a national anthem can be?

I foresee a ten minute, morale debilitating offensive weapon fueling Scotlands national sporting comeback.

Also the prospect of drunken louts shouting DA DA DA, has me shivering with excitement.

I might be alone in this view, I'm Scottish but I would much rather stick with God Save The Queen, I'm very proud to be British and everytime I hear God Save The Queen I get goosebumps, the image of the Union Jack flying makes me feel so proud, I feel like if I was cut open I would bleed red white and blue.

Rule Brittania. :cheers:

I think you Scottish people should be happy enough with God Save the Queen ;)

have you heard some of the verses which they dont sing?

Verses added to the British National Anthem in 1745 during the rise of the Jacobites in Scotland:

"O' date=' Lord our God Arise,

Scatter our enemies,

And make them fail.

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On him our hopes are fixed,

God Save us all"

Lord grant that Marshal Wade

May by thy mighty aid

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush,

And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush.

God save the Queen!

"Many people view it as an English anthem and point to anti-Scottish verses " [url']http://website.lineone.net/~scottishfreedom/cultsongs.html

that is why some people aint happy with it.

my fav runrig song is hearts of olden glory. the live version from stirling makes me get goosebumps.

Deacon Blue Dignity. another classic.

none of these would be fun for an anthem though. 500 miles would be kinda funny. but things arent as easy to sing as flower of scotland.

i dont like how the english use the british one though. they should sing land of hope and glory.

I think you Scottish people should be happy enough with God Save the Queen ;)

You really have to be shitting me.....!!

Have you ever read the whole song? or the original version?

If Scotland was to have its own anthem please lets not have one that bleats on about how badly the English treated us 600 years ago or how we managed to kick the English's arse on the one occasion.....why dont we, as a nation, get the fuck over it. There is lots we could sing about thats positive and hopeful and not anti English, and for gods sake not fucking runrig......they are SHIT SHIT SHIT!!!!!

I might be alone in this view' date=' I'm Scottish but I would much rather stick with God Save The Queen, I'm very proud to be British and everytime I hear God Save The Queen I get goosebumps, the image of the Union Jack flying makes me feel so proud, I feel like if I was cut open I would bleed red white and blue.

Rule Brittania. :cheers:[/quote']

I knew it. I wondered how long it would take you. If you people out there just knew how often i have heard this at work from Elwood. If i sense a conversation heading this way when he is nearby i run like fuck.

I despise God Save the Queen but i also dislike Flower of Scotland just as much.

I think it was tvtanned that recommended Cap in Hand by the Proclaimers which i think would be cool as funk if maybe just a little depressing for a national anthem. I wouldnt have 500 miles as im just sick of it having seen the Proclaimers many times live (including Inverurie Town Hall).

If we had to have it by someone scottish why not get Annie Lennox to knock something up. Or Rod Stewart. Just imagine standing at the Rugby singing along proudly to Thorn in my Side or Young Turks or Do ya Think im Sexy?

Damn, I was gonna say Take me Out as well..

Seriously though, what's wrong with Flower of Scotland? It's been basically accepted as Scotland's national anthem for ages, so why should there be a such a drive to find a new 'official' anthem when this one will do? I think it's a very small majority of people who actually care about the whole anti-english sentiment (I've never met and english person who gave a shit about it), just like nobody really cares about the original verses of God Save the Queen. The English and the Scots fighting is just part of Britain's history, and is reflected in both anthems, and like it says in the song 'those days are past now' etc etc.

Long story short, I'll be a disappointed if it's anything other than FoS or maybe something by Burns...